Ps 196 Grand Central Parkway

Public | K-5 & ungraded | 641 students

Posted April 29, 2014

I went to this elementary school, and I had a great time. The teachers are mostly nice, and the learning material is up to date and sort of advanced. I loved it.

Posted December 23, 2013

P.S. 196 Grand Central Parkway is an outstanding school with emphasis on academics. Ms. Migliano is an excellent principal who has a strong leadership and most teachers (and not all) there are great. My older child went to PS196Q and has been going to Hunter College High School in Manhattan. My younger one has been going to PS196Q since kindergarten. I can only recommend PS196Q to every parent and child. You children will excel at this school.

Posted September 29, 2013

My daughter is in third grade now and she has been at this school since kindergarten. It has its good and bad. I noticed that the people there yell a lot. To be honest, I think it's due to an overcrowding issue. There are a lot of kids and the ratio of students to teachers is pretty high. Other than the yelling, I have had good experiences...of course I have never had to talk to the principle or administration about any issues, so I have no comment on how well they handle problems. But I have talked to them about possibly taking my daughter out of school for a month to leave the country. They were very helpful. They told me everything I need to know: my options, the forms to fill out, and what will happen. The teachers have all been great. I like the new emphasis on teaching depth and introspection...especially in reading comprehension and writing. My husband and I are both engineers, so my daughter gets a lot of math and science at home. I am grateful for the reading comprehension and writing aspect of the curriculum. I am just starting third grade, so testing hasn't really been pushed a lot yet. I will find out this year how it goes as this is the first year of testing.

Posted August 29, 2013

When my child was at 3rd grade, one day he brought home a math worksheet with an "Excellent" mark upside down. Then I found 5 errors in his sheet that were never identified by the teacher. It happened seveal times and I reached a conclusion that the teacher pretended that she checked students' work. I thought it was just a bad luck. But when he went to 4th grade, I found no marks or comments on his homework assignments at all. The conclusion is that the teacher never checked homework. Without teachers' feedback, how can a child learn?

Posted August 28, 2013

My daughter has been at this school for two years already and she enjoys a lot!!! I'm glad with the teacher's feedback, everytime she something to say about my daughter she sends a note and she calls me. It happened every time this past year. I was happy with it. Also, every time they have presentations at school auditorium everything is very organized and beautiful decorated. Congratulions PS 196. Keep up the great work you all do.

Posted July 27, 2013

Currently, I have two children in the school. They both have scored 99% on the G+T exam this past year. The teachers so far have been very communicative, attentive and caring. I am also a product of the school and although I don't support the standardized testing at such young ages, I firmly believe PS 196 does an amazing job preparing the children to score well. The parents in general are nice as well.

Posted March 18, 2013

They claimed they are a school with a heart. No, it is the opposite. Principal never listen to parents' concerns and teachers can do whatever they want. This is a school without a heart.

Posted March 17, 2013

My son is in Kindergarten right now and I have been very happy overall with the school. His teacher is extremely responsive and the parents in his class are very involved. My son does not have much homework, perhaps a page or two each night and a short book to read, which is perfect for him because any more would make him frustrated. I do hear that there are older kids who do have a lot of homework but thats public school. All in all every kid at this early age responds to school differently. But speaking from personal experience, my son who did not transition well at all when he was in day care (since he was 2) tells me every day he loves school, his friends and his teacher.

Posted October 29, 2012

We love this school - nurturing teachers and principal. My son became well rounded, with interests in multiple disciplines, including science, reading, music. As with any other school, you need to do extra work at home, if you want to be above average.

Posted October 24, 2012

I can not believe what these people are talking about< two of my children attended PS 196 and had the best time ever,and I can't wait to have my jungest child start next year:))) every teacher that I ever had in that school ( my kids never had the same teacher, which means I met a lot of them over period of 9 years) was great, very well prepared, cared for their kids academic performance and well being,and my children both got into honors after finishing 5th grade at 196. Top elementary public school in NYC for over 30 years still remains on top thanks to good administration,teachers,kids and of course involved parents. PS 196 ROCKS !!!

Posted October 23, 2012

I agree with the other reviewer things have changed. The administration is bad. You are hardly ever able to resolve anything. They tell you how right they are and send you back. some of the teachers are plain lazy. No love for teaching and don't want to work, especially with writing.The parent co-ordinater is not friendly at all! Inspite of all the emphasis on test scores, the scores are dropping!

Posted May 19, 2012

My son attended K class. Always crying in the morning, never happy after school. Teacher sit him next to a fan and my son got sick of course. Complaining to a teacher didnt help, raising voice to her did. At one time a teacher scream to my wife telling bad things about our boy. As a father, I must have did a few phone calls to a principal and after we got together her response was, lets forget it , its June, what is a big deal. We moved to Forest Hills , especially to a 196 district just for a good school. What a big mistake. Surely helps to log in to google and check reviews before moving. After all we did good out of bed situation, we have moved our son to Our Lady Queen of Martyrs and we are fully satisfied.

Posted April 27, 2012

Used be a good school, somehow it is been changed!!!! Almost no homework or just reading. no checking homework or just few check marks on her homework notebook. No more reading response writing either reading log. At PTA meeting, teacher asked me to teach my child's weakness-Big time writing! What's going on this school???? BIG Disappointment!

Posted November 28, 2011

This school was a total nightmare for my son. The staff was selfish and only cared about test scores. Their playground was a flat blacktop where students could not take two steps without bumping into someone. Mean while, there was a beautiful park next door. The lunchroom was noisy and dirty.

Posted June 17, 2011

Unfortunately, the school seems to be trying to follow an Asian model with lots of homework, overemphasis on testing, senseless book logs and very few school trips. Kids need more fun and exposure to the amazing cultural resources that we have in NY all around us. The school concerts are elitist showcases for the kids of Tiger moms who have been practicing their 5 minute long classical pieces to perfection for years. Kids that have no formal training are not allowed to participate. Whatever happened to an old fashioned talent show where the kids have fun and anyone with any type talent can have a couple of minutes to shine. Just an aside...The Theater arts program was a lame attempt to infuse fun and culture into the school, but turned out to be insane. Principal is obviously a frustrated b'way performer/director and subjects the kids to 3-4 hour long rehearsals in the hot auditorium without snacks or water. Towards the end it was 4 days a week until 6 or 7pm. Some kids don't even have speaking roles. Do not let your kids sign up for those plays---torture!

Posted November 17, 2010

This school is such disappointment. There are a lot of post on this site that make it seem like the school has competent caring and interested teachers. You can see by the rapid succession and short duration of time that the posts are being planted by the PTA or the school staff. Don t be fooled. The school has a tremendous number of incompetent employees and burnt or teachers. I ve found the staff to be completely uninterested in my child education or personal growth, but rather interested in behavior problems and test scores. The teacher was missing work in my child folder, had averaged grades up in correctly and give my child lower scores then she deserved, when I pointed out the wrong averages she reluctantly changed the grade on the report card, but did so with such a nasty attitude.

Posted May 18, 2010

Well balanced curriculum--art, music, theater, science, math and language skills. Great afterschool program too!

Posted May 18, 2010

The teachers and staff are excellent and dedicated to the students and community that they serve.

Posted May 18, 2010

it helps kids to develop more skills, provide good educational enviroment.

Posted May 18, 2010

I love PS 196 for the excellent academic reviews.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 31% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 34% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2012-2013 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in Science. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2013.

111 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 36% in 2013.

114 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 90% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 31% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 30% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students79%

General population85%
Proficient in English87%
Non-migrant85%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the New York Department of Education. If there are fewer than 5 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students59%

Not economically disadvantaged82%
General population79%
Non-migrant77%

Source: New York State Education Department

In 2009-2010, this school was given a grade of "A" for the elementary school level.

Progress Report Grades measure the school's contribution to student learning in three areas: School Environment, Student Performance and Student Progress. Schools can receive additional credit for achieving exemplary performance progress among high-needs students. Progress Report Grades range from A to F.

Source: New York City Department of Education

Master's degree and above 56%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%
Source: NYSED, 2011-2012
The NYC Department of Education asked parents, teachers and students about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, safe, communicative and collaborative. Learn more

The information captured by the survey is designed to support a dialogue among all members of the school community about how to make the school a better place to learn. An overall category score is calculated for each respondent group (parents, teachers, or students) by averaging the scores of the questions within that survey category.

Category scores for each of the respondent groups are then combined to form overall category scores. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all NYC public schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the NYC DOE survey »Close
Based on 530 responses

This school provides ... 1

A safe and respectful environmentWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school creates a physically and emotionally secure environment in which everyone can focus on student learning.

8.0

8.4

8.0

Clear, useful communication about educational goalsWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school provides information about the school's educational goals and offers appropriate feedback on each student's learning outcome.

8.9

8.5

9.1

7.8

Strong parent, teacher and student engagementWhat's this?

This score measures how engaged parents, students and teachers feel they are in an active and vibrant partnership to promote student learning.

8.6

8.3

8.9

7.8

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures how well parents, students and teachers feel that the school develops rigorous and meaningful academic goals that encourage students to do their best.

8.8

RespondentsResponse rate
Parents49186%
Teachers39100%

12012-2013 New York City Department of Education School Survey

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

71-25 113th St