9-12 & Ungraded
Fresh Meadows, NY
Students enrolled: 4,075
After care: No

Posted October 14, 2014
I have been in Francis Lewis since 2012 and this is my final year. What can I say about this lovely school, first its good commute for me taking both bus and train. Second everyone is so nice to you the teacher, students, friends, and even the principal. I almost made friends with everyone in the school, and the teachers they are very awesome, they want you to succeed to make you college ready. What people don't get is the teacher and principal are acting as a parent in school because they don't nothing bad to happen to you and people make it such a issue saying they still want to go outside and saying all bad things to the principal.

Posted April 19, 2014
Overall - I'm happy with this school. Much better than the school my kids were zoned for. I'll tell you the Pros & Cons. I feel my boys are safe, most importantly. I haven't heard of any fights. The kids in the school in general are great. I like all the teachers except one English teacher who doesn't have a postive attitude but actually I feel the teaching in English 9th grade is below average. Overall I think quality teaching is reserved for the honor classes. In the general classes, it's unpredictable. For ie. in one SS class there is a great teacher but they allowed to many disruptive students to exist and my child is not able to learn as much as he could be. I also don't see much homework and I think there could be better parent communication. They have a great law program and JROTC is amazing! Not sure why, but one son had two teachers for math (which was great for him) and the other did not. For the creative child - I wish they had more art and music programs, however they don't. I think if your child wants to do well they will regardless - because there are plenty of tudoring opportunities and extra help classes. The parent coordinator is very helpful & nice.

Posted April 18, 2014
i would give 5 star to the teachers and the counselars all of my daughter teacher are willing to help all the time and are on top of the kids when they cut classes calling to the parents and that is great because no all the teachers take their extra time to do it this school too had many great programs and i recomended to other parents

Posted March 11, 2014
Pro: I was worried about sending my child to this school in Sept 2013. No worries. If your child has an average of 80/85+ & is in one of the 3 special programs, life is good. If your child is in the gen population, I can't answer to your worries. Student's are offered numerous after school activities to join, but probably will only have time to join one. It is very safe and diverse. Every race, religion & background is in honors & they all get along. Don't worry about overcrowding, your kids aren't stupid & will make it to classes (besides, teens "like" other teens). Cons: It's difficult to keep track of HW, test dates, etc. because each teacher uses different websites. There is PupilPath, Edmodo, Castle Learning, the board, email, comments when kids are going out the door, etc. However, this is to be worked on according to the school (the student's update each other at night, even if they are not necessarily friends). If your child was successful in elementary school, they will grow here & be offered "serious opportunities" to succeed in college. These student's are intelligent AND have social skills. It all starts in the home, you can't just falsify an address & expect success.

Posted October 23, 2013
Francis Lewis is an amazing school. I am exceedingly proud of myself for doing so hard to get to this high school. The math and science program is extremely competitive but its definitely worth it! Many graduates of Francis Lewis have gone to amazing colleges!!! You have no idea how AMAZING this school is! If you have anything above 85 in math, science, ela, and social studies; your good to go!!! DEFINITELY GO TO FRANCIS LEWIS BECAUSE ITS THE RIGHT SCHOOL FOR YOU!!

Posted August 01, 2013
I personally like the school program particularly science research program. Students learn a lot about science research. I lkie Dr. Blackwell very much for her encouragement to yhe students doing their resesrch. They read very nice science article and are uptodate with recent sciemtific research.

Posted June 28, 2013
Francis Lewis High School, is one of the best schools in new york. I am now a junior in franny and i love it, the teachers are great they really get to know there students as if they are there own children. Every one in this school from a older student or a teacher or guidance even the principle make sure you do your best. If a teacher sees you are slaking they will make sure they lend you a hand and asin you a tutor to make sure you can do the best you can. The teachers prepare you in life but not only showing you the path to greatness but preparing you for the regents. This is one school i wish everyone could go to. I will 100% miss Francis Lewis when i graduate in 2 years.

Francis Lewis High School 3

Posted June 26, 2013
I am a former alum of Francis Lewis. I attribute much of my success in life to the teachers I met at Francis Lewis. I immigrated to the US in Junior High and Francis Lewis was my first public school. The school is very diverse and is one of the best public High Schools in the area. I was given the opportunity to take AP (Advanced Placement) classes in my Senior year and as a result I was able to skip an entire semester in college. The College prep classes and counseling is also very good and I commend the school for offering classes that cater to a wide array of student types. One of my favorite classes "Genetic Engineering".

Francis Lewis High School 1

Posted June 20, 2013
My children have attended Bayside Highschool from Sept. to Jan. I made a HUGE mistake taking them out from Bayside and putting them into Francis Lewis Highschool. This highschool is completely disorganized and the staff members are very rude. Francis Lewis is only focused on extracurricular activities not an academic education. Please DO NOT send your child here.

Posted April 14, 2013
Francis Lewis is the best school ever!!! I am currently a freshmen and I am so happy that I got accepted here. The halllways arent as crowded as people say that they are, sure there is a little traffic here and there but it is not bad.

Francis Lewis High School
58-20 Utopia Pky, Fresh Meadows, NY  11365
Last modified Francis Lewis High School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Francis Lewis High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 104 reviews. Top