Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Can not say enough about the quality of the teachers and coaches at GCHS. I remain close with many of my high school football and lacrosse coaches today nearly 10 years after my graduation. A fantastic institution.

Education is solid and well rounded. Students are motivated to succeed in a competitive environment. Most teachers were good, a few were inspiring. The focus on sports is a little much but is not unique to this school.

My second child is currently in Garden City High School and is also getting a very solid education. My son is currently on a scholarship at Northeastern University, which I attribute to the opportunities he gained in school (not just academics but also student government, sports, and music).

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

I think the teachers do a great job at bringing life experiences into the classroom as opposed to just teaching the curriculum.

Amount of homework: Agree

I think that teachers understand that school isn't the only thing on high school student's plates so the homework wasn't overwhelming but there was enough to take personal responsibility for.

Very competitive and effective school for developing knowledge and preparing students for college and careers in the business world.

--I've posted this for Garden City Middle School, but I'm posting this again for GCHS because one of my children goes to this school and I think they both are great.-- This school is the best high school I've ever seen in my life. I moved from Los Angeles many years ago and have lived here ever since. I am now sending my children to this school. They love this school, and so do I. The teachers are very considerate, of great qualities of teaching, and have great teaching methods which are working well not only on my children but also on other kids at school. This school is not very much known for its diversity as other people mentioned below but it doesn't mean it doesn't hold a tolerant attitude towards diversity. Garden City Middle School and High School are great schools no matter who you are, so do not worry about sending your kids to this school even though you are not white or Catholic. No one here judges you by your look or what you believe in. It's ridiculous that some people actually think they do. ---Also, it is true that the students in GC are good at sports, but why has it come to you as a problem? They are also one of the best in academics, etc.

I have friends who attended this high school and are very proud. Anything and everything they have to say about the high school are all positives. The school system prepares students for college through the required curriculum necessary to graduate high school. In addition, this school provided a high array of honors classes for the over achievers. Located in a picturesque part of Long Island, NY, this school system has been ranked by US News as one of the best high schools in the country.

My children have yet to enter the HS but its reputation precedes it. I blame the administration and parents for allowing Athletics to run the show and stupidity for contining the cycle of materialism running rampant both in this town and many others across the country. I can only hope that the tides will change by the time my kids are ready for HS....otherwise I'll move.

Garden City is not known for its diversity: ethnic, religious, or socio-economic. It is probably the only town on Long Island where a child can be bullied for not being Catholic. Or having dark hair on her arms. This, in and of itself, might not be a move-or-don't-move-here issue if the school's curriculum were richer and the teaching more consistent at every level, especially in grades 2-12. (The K-1 primary schools are quite good.) One cannot talk about the schools without also talking about the Village: a place where sports ALWAYS trump academics. Because of this, the schools--and the community--ultimately suffer. This is a good fit for families with athletically gifted, Catholic, caucasian children. Still, there's a caveat: If, like some of us, you fit that GC mold, does that mean it's a good choice? This town produces exceptional athletes--not well-rounded, intellectual, curious, engaged children. And at the end of the day, isn't that what matters?

Last modified Garden City High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.