Posted August 06, 2014
--I've posted this for Garden City Middle School, but I'm posting this again for GCHS because one of my children goes to this school and I think they both are great.-- This school is the best high school I've ever seen in my life. I moved from Los Angeles many years ago and have lived here ever since. I am now sending my children to this school. They love this school, and so do I. The teachers are very considerate, of great qualities of teaching, and have great teaching methods which are working well not only on my children but also on other kids at school. This school is not very much known for its diversity as other people mentioned below but it doesn't mean it doesn't hold a tolerant attitude towards diversity. Garden City Middle School and High School are great schools no matter who you are, so do not worry about sending your kids to this school even though you are not white or Catholic. No one here judges you by your look or what you believe in. It's ridiculous that some people actually think they do. ---Also, it is true that the students in GC are good at sports, but why has it come to you as a problem? They are also one of the best in academics, etc.

Posted June 20, 2013
I have friends who attended this high school and are very proud. Anything and everything they have to say about the high school are all positives. The school system prepares students for college through the required curriculum necessary to graduate high school. In addition, this school provided a high array of honors classes for the over achievers. Located in a picturesque part of Long Island, NY, this school system has been ranked by US News as one of the best high schools in the country.

Posted May 11, 2013
My children have yet to enter the HS but its reputation precedes it. I blame the administration and parents for allowing Athletics to run the show and stupidity for contining the cycle of materialism running rampant both in this town and many others across the country. I can only hope that the tides will change by the time my kids are ready for HS....otherwise I'll move.

Posted July 30, 2012
Garden City is not known for its diversity: ethnic, religious, or socio-economic. It is probably the only town on Long Island where a child can be bullied for not being Catholic. Or having dark hair on her arms. This, in and of itself, might not be a move-or-don't-move-here issue if the school's curriculum were richer and the teaching more consistent at every level, especially in grades 2-12. (The K-1 primary schools are quite good.) One cannot talk about the schools without also talking about the Village: a place where sports ALWAYS trump academics. Because of this, the schools--and the community--ultimately suffer. This is a good fit for families with athletically gifted, Catholic, caucasian children. Still, there's a caveat: If, like some of us, you fit that GC mold, does that mean it's a good choice? This town produces exceptional athletes--not well-rounded, intellectual, curious, engaged children. And at the end of the day, isn't that what matters?

Posted June 08, 2012
Paying the property taxes I do, I expected alot more from GCHS. There are several schools that blow GC away academically. Schools such as North Shore, Locust Valley, Great Neck South, Great Neck North, Jericho, Manhasset, Wheatley, Oyster Bay, Roslyn and Syosset are all much better. If you are a male and don't play football or lacrosse you are a nobody at the school and will be bullied by the jocks. If you are not one of the super rich with the largest house, you too will be ostracised. The teachers are very average AT BEST. I am not a disgruntled parent whose children are "trouble students." Both of my children were honors students and heavily involved in martial arts.

Posted June 30, 2011
The school offers many activities & is very diversified in all areas of studies. They handle issues very well & am satisfied with the overall educational system.

Posted June 30, 2011
GREAT EDUCATION, TEACHERS & SPORTS PROGRAMS - MADE VALUABLE FRIENDSHIPS - HELPED PREPARE FOR COLLEGE CLASSES

Garden City High School 3

Posted November 06, 2010
If all the schools in the Garden City school district had to be ranked, GCHS would probably be ranked the lowest. I find GCHS to be average high school academically and no better than any of the surrounding public high schools. There are several things I dislike about this school. Most of the good teachers seem to teach the honors and AP classes, where as most of the mediocre and not so great teachers teach the regents and lower level classes. I don't find any of the programs to be that great (art, music, theatre) except sports. However, sports in this school and community are all based on competition and are not played for the fun and fitness. The demographics of the town of course don't help the school either. Not a bad school but not a fantastic school either. Education is still much better at private high schools.

Posted January 03, 2010

Posted April 03, 2009

Garden City High School
170 Rockaway Ave, Garden City, NY  11530
(516) 478-2000
Last modified Garden City High School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Garden City High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 27 reviews.