Public charter
Hempstead, NY

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted June 21, 2015
For the most part the teachers are effective and of cause there is always room for improvement.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted June 21, 2015
I think that homework is to evaluate what the student has learned for the day and it is an indication to parents of what the child is doing in school. So, homework every night is a good thing.

Develops grit: Agree

Posted June 21, 2015
Yes, This is part of the overall teaching plan for Evergreen. I love how when my students were asked, How do you know you are a winner their responses were, don't give up, try again, learn from you mistakes. This tells me that they have grit and I see the determination in their work.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted June 21, 2015
Yes, not all student come into the school with these traits but most of them leave having respect for themselves, others, and the enviroment.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted June 21, 2015
I was at the 5th grade graduation and it was amazing how the students that did not receive an award were happy and cheered for the students that were receiving awards. The speech by one of the 5th graders had the entire building in tears when she spoke of her 3 year experience in Evergreen.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 21, 2015
I know that the Evergreen Charter School develops honesty, integrity and fairness in its students. I’ve been teaching in this school for three years now and I must say that the students are the first priority of Evergreen. The Board, Principal, Vice Principal, Teachers and Staff are all working together to assure that these qualities are instilled in each student. I have worked in a public school and another charter school and I most say it does not get better than Evergreen. I have to say that there are things that still need to be fix or adjusted to make Evergreen the “perfect” school. However, as far as the students are concerned we are pretty close to be perfect at having the student’s best interest at heart.

Evergreen Charter School 4

Posted June 21, 2015
This is one of the best teaching experiences I’ve had. The Board, Teachers, Staff, and Chef are all working together for one common goal and that is the betterment of the students.

Evergreen Charter School 5

Posted February 07, 2013
I am honor to be part of the staff of Evergreen Charter School. We have a great group of teachers and administrators. I worked in two schools before and I feel a big difference. The principal, the board, everybody is in the same page.. we have one goal... to see our children succeed.

Evergreen Charter School 5

Posted January 28, 2013
I am very very happy with Evergreen. I believe how much my daugter has learned. I get a lot of support from the principl so I don't really know what that other person is talking about. It makes me sad that someone would write that when I think if they really knew our Principal they would see that she has done a lot and is always there for us. She has helped me with my child with the district. I don't know anyone whose principal does that. I have not had much experience with a board of trustees but i have am always able to get answers to my questions at the meetin and when I talk to my friends they don't have this at their school. I couldn't be happier.

Evergreen Charter School 1

Posted July 07, 2012
Please consider and reconsider the importance of your child's education and wellbeing because his/her needs will not be met at Evergreen. The Principal, Maritza Meyers', emotional instability highly clouds her judgment. Her medical problems adversely limit the amount of physical time that she is available to competently fulfill her duties. She claims to have 25+ years of experience, but she cannot make any independent decisions without the overbearing involvement of the founders/board of trustees, Sarah Brewster and Gil Bernardino. The teachers do a great job, but they can only do so much without administration's support! They should just let them do their job!

605 Peninsula Boulevard, Hempstead, NY  11550
(516) 292-2060
Last modified Evergreen Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Evergreen Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top