No rating

Sacred Heart Academy

Private | 9-12 | 906 students

Living in Hempstead

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $190,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,540.

Posted October 3, 2014

My daughter is a SHA sophomore. She is in all Honors classes so academically I can only speak to that. Without exception her teachers have been excellent. She works harder and is getting a better education than her brothers did at Chaminade. I have friends who've also had kids at both schools who say the same thing. Socially the school suits my daughter. To an amazing degree there is less "social pressure" than at her former school. By this I mean the girls are easier on each other; they are far less judgmental with each other. As a freshman she sometimes made plans with her friends outside of school but not every weekend. Now as a sophomore she wants to have more of a social life so she is taking the initiative and reaching out to other girls, adding new friends and fun to her weekends. I'm happy with this progression. She is building life skills by doing this. As for parental involvement, I am involved because I want to be. A parent can be involved as much or as little as they choose to be. I find SHA to be a nurturing school with great academics.

Posted August 5, 2014

Sacred Heart Academy was the best choice for my daughter. She shadowed in her 8th grade year, and she knew from that moment that it was the school for her. She loved her teachers, and I felt that she received a solid education in the honor track although I can't speak for the regular track. The teachers cared about her and were very devoted. She felt that the school was a nice size for a freshmen class, not too big but not too small. An ample number for it to be fun. She was part of the STEM program which was an added bonus since she wants to pursue science in college. My only criticism is that the school needs more activities for the girls. The Sisters are wonderful but their focus is academics to retain their stellar reputation. I think there should be more interesting things to do and I think the girls/parents should be able to impart suggestions. With that said, too many activities takes the students focus away from learning which is not good. I think the current activities should be updated for the Millenium students.

Posted July 15, 2014

I love this school so much! I enjoyed my freshman year year and neither can my friends! It is really easy to make friends here and the girls are really sweet. The teachers are really nice and fun here and I love playing sports at this school. We have really great sports teams here at SHA. Public school friends of mine really love this school and they really prepare you for college. Some of my friends go to OLMA in Syosset and do not enjoy it at all! A lot of my friends want to transfer and they say that no one likes it there. School is not something everyone enjoys, but at SHA you actually enjoy school, and the day goes by so fast!

Posted June 5, 2014

Great school! Girls are so sweet and welcoming. The students are held to high level in terms of behavior and overall excellence.

Posted April 13, 2014

I am not at all happy with this school. The girls there are VERY snotty and the teachers aren't always helpful. This school has a lot of students but that means nothing. They are very obnoxious.

Posted May 16, 2013

Sacred Heart Academy was a major stepping stone in paving the way for my successful career in the Finance industry. The teachers and school culture taught discipline and a very strong education that I was able to carry through in my college and career. The sports teams were always top ranked, which is another example that the students were well-rounded and can perform strongly in both academics and athletics!

Posted February 4, 2013

I have a daughter who has just been accepted to Sacred Heart Academy. We've done our research and are fairly confident this was a good choice for our daughter but it would really be great to get some more recent reviews from some parents or students. There is only one review for 2012 and the next one is from 2010!! Please, please help and post a review if you have anything to say (either positive or negative) about this school. Thank you!! Note: The website required a star rating but please disregard. My child has not started at the school yet.

Posted June 25, 2012

Great school. Prepares its students well for the rigourous academic enviorment of college. The all-girls aspect can be a challenge socially, but beneficial academically. If an athlete, highly recommended with great coaching staff; the history of awards speaks for itself.

Posted December 23, 2010

I'm a sophomore in college. While I never really felt the family atmosphere mentioned in other reviews, it is a good academic school. The guidance department is amazing and really helped when I was freaking out applying to schools. They were really happy when I got my acceptance letters, showing that it's not just a job for them, but an genuine concern for the students they help. Like with any school, there are good and bad teachers, though I've found my teachers to be pretty helpful. I do agree, though, that the place is rather cliquey. Also on the downside is the comparative lack of activities and social functions beyond Red & Gold. If you want to develop other interests, you basically have to do it outside of school. Overall, I don't have a super amount of loyalty to the place. I'm still friends with my group from high school, but haven't been allowed to visit (thanks to the new principal's rules).

Posted May 3, 2010

this is a very good school in sports and academics, and having all girls (although sometimes can be annoying) allows you to be yourself 24/7. They also have mostly great teachers and good sportd teams.

Posted April 20, 2010

Academically you have to work hard to keep up here and are therefore prepared for college. Not all teachers are always the best but all teachers are demanding. Socially its an all girl's school... not for everyone... I didn't enjoy it but I was able to enjoy going away to a good 4 year school thanks to the hard work I put in here. As an all girls school they do push your power and voice as a young women. Later I never felt intimidated by the male dominated classes once in college.

Posted October 5, 2009

I like that the students are respectful and responsible outside of class, and I have good memories of dances there when I was a teenager.

Posted September 17, 2009

SHA provides quality, education and personalized assistance to enable each young woman to achieve her potential.

Posted November 24, 2008

I'm a sophomore at sacred heart academy. I love it the school is so great! Everyones is involoved in something; red/gold, nutcracker, clubs, sports, or giving back to the community! I personaly love the school because were all like 1 big family; the teachers are considerate of your feelings they always give up their time to help. Although the girls can get catty at times we still are close and friendly towards everyone. Sacred Heart isn't about it's activities it's also a fantastic prep school, they teach displine, hard work, integrity, and giving back. It's great to see all the girls come together and represent Sacred Heart Academy!

Posted April 10, 2008

My daughter graduated from SHA and was well prepared for the challenges of college. The school far outranks other high schools and it provides a quality education that prepares young women for the real world. I recommend this school highly.

Posted January 11, 2008

I'm currently a student at Sacred Heart Academy. As a senior, I do not this that a better college preparatory school exists in the area. Here they really stress the importance of hardwork and dedication. Although schoolwork is very important and vital, Sacred Heart Academy does host a wide variety of social events that are so much fun. If you're looking for a place with good school spirit, an excellent reputation, and has a welcoming environment, this is deinitely the school to attend. But warning you may gain like 10 lbs.

Posted December 7, 2007

The teachers are outstanding, always willing to assist you with anything you have questions about. The athletics are top notch, SHA has won more state championships in recent years than I can count. I'd send my daughter to this school in a heartbeat.

Posted December 5, 2007

As a junior at SHA, I find it to be an excellent learning environment. The teachers are helpful and dedicated and they have the best interest of the studen in mind. The faculty, while strict, is really looking out for all the girls and is supportive and understanding.

Posted October 27, 2007

I am currently a senior at Sacred Heart and have come to find that it exceeds other high schools in the region. When going on college interviews admission officers are impressed to hear that I attend SHA. Without Sacred Heart, I would not be looking at the high caliber, first tier colleges to which I am applying.

Posted October 19, 2007

Im currently a senior at sacred heart academy and take personal offense to any negative comment made about it in this forum. the faculty and staff are beyond excellent and extremely helpful, even if you don't have a teacher for class, he/she is more then willing to help anyone that needs it. what I find most offensive are the comments calling the girls 'clicky'..never once have I seen a girl sit alone at lunch, be left out of a group or conversation or been denied the right to do anything, ESPECIALLY by other students. Ive made my best friends at sacred heart...as the college admisions processed has recently begun, I find our guidance department to be extremely helpful, especially in comparison to those of rival schools in the area, from what I have heard from friends. sacred heart has been the best experience of my life, hands down.

Asian 3% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Joanne M. Forker
  • All girls
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Rockville Centre

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

47 Cathedral Avenue