Hicksville High School

Public | 9-12 | 1733 students

Sweep tile

Posted March 19, 2014

I would like to comment on the October 29th 2013 reviewer. Obviously they don't live in Hicksville as they stated, " If I lived in Hicksville- there is no doubt I would pay for private school". Why is this post here if they don't live in Hicksville?

Posted March 10, 2014

This school before 2006 was very outdated. New staff and teachers came and went quickly as they would tell me Hicksville high school was one of the lowest paying districts in Nassau. Student body was diverse. Huge ESL class, roof collapsed and many broken windows sent a cold draft into the classrooms as a result students wore large jackets in class. Not a college prep high school, parents who know better send their children to private school A large numbers of children in Hicksville attend private school as a result of this notoriously poor district.

Posted October 29, 2013

If you want a quality pre college prep for your child/student, then this school is not for them. Faculty is mediocre -at best, facilities are out dated and general atmosphere dismal. I graduated from HHS and - needed immense prep when I entered college. I received that and went on to receive advanced degrees, but looking I can honestly say I learned - zero- at HHS. If I lived in Hicksville- there is no doubt I would pay for private school. HHS is not the place to prepare kids for college. Send your students to private school- this place is an academic failure.

Posted February 26, 2013

This School is terrible at best. Besides the "extra curricular activities" It needs a total overhaul. Most schools on the Island offer more vocational alternatives, for different students with different needs. They will discipline them until they end up being neglected instead of helped. In the year 2013 there must be a better way to help these children. Not Just reiterating " Your child needs to go to extra help"

Posted June 14, 2012

all I can say is I am sorry I moved here probably the worsed as far as community there is non its a hodge podge of transients . Its the people that create the atmosphere of a " I dont care attitude". Take the same teacher and put him/her in plainview schools and its a different story they are going to work for the money. Hicksville is loaded with kids from different districts forging residential equivalents. They come troubled from other schools to create trouble here. I wish I could move it would be the best thing for all of us.

Posted July 5, 2011

As an alumni of Hicksville High School, it's difficult to hear parents suggesting that the faculty and administration at the school are inept in their roles. Looking back at my own time their I had only myself to blame for not doing better in school, or getting into my first choice for my undergraduate degree. My teachers were excellent, dedicated a tremendous amount of time to trying to get me to work to my potential, and stay engaged with my progress as well as that of my peers. While classroom size, breadth of the curriculum, and test scores, lag neighboring school/school districts (Jericho etc), the key is for parents to keep kids engaged with the material, ensure teachers make the work applicable to real life where possible, and communicate where they feel there are gaps.

Posted September 15, 2010

I believe Hicksville is an excellent school.Both of my boys play football.All of the athletic teams have been recoginized by the state for academic excellence.The marching band has won 6 straight state titles under the direction of Ms. Tittler.Who is recoginized as the best in Nassau County.

Posted October 23, 2009

Both my children went to Hicksville High school and did fabulous. My daughter graduated and has a wonderful career great job. My son is graduating this year and is hoping to get into one of the top universities. Anyone that has a problem with the school will have a problem in any school.

Posted March 6, 2009

I believe hicksville highschool is a very good school. I am a junior going to hicksville and i love it here I love the staff and the teachers are really helpfull. Class of 2010
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 5, 2009

This school has some very dedicated teachers who serve the students well. The fine arts department is one of the best in the district and has won numerous awards over the years. The bad news is the administration is, at best, inept. Ms. Leak, a newcomer to the school, but not the district is the only bright spot here while the principal, Brij Singh is one of the worst principals this school has ever had. Her multiple inabilities is causing the school to slide slowly downhill. Several other administrators are equally inept and the guidance department is also in decline. I will be happy when my daughter finally graduates next year.

Posted February 22, 2009

This is the worst school ever!, I 'm a freshmen, first of all the students are terruble and most teachers good. The office staff and guidance couselors are a joke, there not even helpful. I see students each morning smoking onn the corner, they are disrespectful to teachers, staff and security. I went to catholic school, nothing was like this . I can't wait to get out of this school. Its the worst school ever!
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 5, 2008

Hicksville High School offers many exciting programs for the student who engage in extracurricular and co-curricular activities. The Science Olympiad team continues to be in the top ten schools on LI, and has won third and second place in the last two years. The music and art programs continue to shine with many students receiving county, state and national awards. The sports teams are continuously named as scholar athlete teams and compete with great success against much larger better funded schools. The students grades are fair, not inflated as in many districts like Syosset. And Hicksville High School offers challenging AP courses as well as Chinese and German. We are very happy with how the school prepares our children for college and the future.

Posted November 3, 2008

This school is a problem to these kids, not only is it out of control it has a poor administration and a bad future for these children

Posted August 28, 2008

terrible gudience and overall poor help towards students future plans. Did not try to help my child get a scholarship.

Posted July 31, 2008

This school is going downhill fast and the administration is just sitting back and watching it happen as they cash their paychecks. Some of the teachers are actually good TEACHERS, but most of them do not teach. The guidance department is a joke. The guidance counselors do as little as possible and make it very obvious that they do not want to do their jobs. The principle and one of the assistant principles (Mr. Roach) are totally out of touch with reality. They are impossible to talk to. The students and parents as well, have problems with both of them. They are taking up space that needs to be filled with competant individuals. The principle actually thinks that 'there are no drugs or weapons in my school. If there were, I would know it.' Those were her words. These students are being robbed of a good HS.

Posted March 27, 2007

I have one child in the school and He is very involved and loves it. He is learning a lot and growing as a person. My other two will be there in the next three years. The teachers are great and very caring. Their is an abundance of all types of activities. The parents are very involved in the school. This is a great school.

Posted February 10, 2007

I had 2 children go through the high school, it was a great school when my oldest was in the four years, went alittle down hill with my youngest and now I am glad we are done. The Romanos are great in english department. Ms. Kelly-Charaloumbous is wonderful and a great teacher. Mrs. Muscalino in science dept another great one. They need to clean house in the administration office thats for sure. And crack down and check out to make sure that everyone who is going to the school actually belongs there.

Posted June 7, 2006

I graduated from Hicksville High School as part of the Class of 2002. I don't want to give my name, but I will add that I was ranked between 115 and 120 out of a class size of I believe it was 330 or so. But I loved every minute of what I had to offer. Mr. Romano and Mrs. Romano (formerly Kahres) were two of the greatest English teachers I've ever encountered. Ms. Kelly-Charaloumbous was a fantastic math teacher. I learned a lot from her. Ms. Hilsky was the best of all. I love Social Studies all my life and she gave me a greater perspective. In fact, I exhausted all of the possible Social Science courses at my school. And I could never forget Ms. Temps, a teacher who truely cared about her students, always willing to assist a student in need. Hicksville High School was a great place.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 20, 2006

A great school, nice teachers, diverse student body.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 19, 2006

They have plenty of honors and AP classes. If your child works hard, they will do very well. There is also extra help avilable on a regular basis as well as SAT preparation classes. The marching band is top rated. All the sports are available, never have been threatened by budget cuts. My kids are involved in a wide variety of activities, including an excellent peer-counselling program. Many parents are involved in the school activities. Homecoming, held on the school grounds, is always a big event in the community that raises scholarship money for graduating seniors.

Algebra II/Trigonometry

The state average for Algebra II/Trigonometry was 64% in 2012.

326 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 78% in 2012.

247 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 73% in 2012.

360 students were tested at this school in 2012.

English

The state average for English was 82% in 2012.

450 students were tested at this school in 2012.

French

The state average for French was 95% in 2011.

30 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2012.

449 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Global History and Geography

The state average for Global History and Geography was 71% in 2012.

509 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Integrated Algebra

The state average for Integrated Algebra was 72% in 2012.

423 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Italian

The state average for Italian was 98% in 2011.

80 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Living Environment

The state average for Living Environment was 78% in 2012.

442 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 79% in 2012.

144 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Spanish

The state average for Spanish was 94% in 2011.

207 students were tested at this school in 2011.

U.S. History and Government

The state average for U.S. History and Government was 79% in 2012.

453 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % passing

In 2011-2012 New York used the New York State Regents Examinations to test high school students in English, math, global history and geography, US history and government, living environment, chemistry, Earth science and physics. Students must take at least five Regents Exams in order to graduate. Scores of 65 and above are passing; scores of 55 and above earn credit toward a local diploma (with the approval of the local board of education). The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Source: New York State Education Department

All Students90%
Students with disabilities60%
General population93%
Scale: % passing

The different student groups are identified by the New York Department of Education. If there are fewer than 5 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: New York State Education Department

Master's degree and above 35%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%
Source: NYSED, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

180 Division Ave