East Street School

Public | K-5 | 380 students

Posted October 16, 2013

So Far so good. The teachers are great and involved in the students work load. They communicate with the parents and send notes when needed.

Posted September 1, 2013

Excellent education system. 3 of my kids went there. Teacher, principle & all staff is very loving caring & responsible.

Posted August 20, 2013

Great school with a real family feel. Love the school community which is comprised of many nice families who truly care about their child's education.

Posted September 4, 2012

I just started my freshman year of high school and I can still remember East Street like it was yesterday! I remember all of my teachers being amazing, especially Ms. Bergeron who unfortunately retired a couple years ago. 5th grade was the best year of my life. Ms. Bergeron along with the faculty at the school helped so much in preparing us for middle school that it was such an easy ride through those 3 years of HMS. Growing up school work always came very easy to me and since my teachers realized this I was in Math Olympiads and Great Books which I think they might have changed the name of now. Initially, I remember not wanting to be in these organizations but now I'm so happy that East Street pushed me into it. I'm still best friends with my best friend that I made in kindergarten. East Street is definitely a lot more like a family. I go back every year to say hello to all my old teachers and they all remember my name which is rare to find in a public school. 6th grade was such a breeze for me because of the great preparation the East Street gave me. Thank you Ms. Bergeron and the faculty of East Street for an amazing Elementary School experience. I wish I could go back :)

Posted July 3, 2012

I can honestly say I am pleased with the education our child is receiving at East Street. The school is well maintained, and the teachers are very nice. I am VERY happy with the offerings of music, art and computers since many schools have been forced to cut fundings for these programs. Our child is also part of the RISE program which is geared towards children who can take on more challenging work, but are still required to maintain their regular classwork. This is an excellent program because it engages their creativity which unfortunately is lacking in most classrooms (not at East St) because many schools are forced to "teach to the test". My only complaint is that it does not begin until the 3rd grade. We have another child entering Kindergarten in the fall and look forward to a similar experience at East St. Yes our taxes are (I think) the 4th lowest in Nassau County, and yes I agree with another parent who commented saying that is bc we have so much industry in Hicksville to offset our taxes. It does not mean our schools are any less effective or that our children are receiving less of an education.

Posted July 2, 2012

This schools principal were blinders and does nothing about bullys .The teachers teach too fast and children get pulled out for other special services during important lessons and are expected to undrstand the lesson . there is no review for those students . not happy with school or principal and they let anyone come to the school even out of district children ,. why do we pay taxes for .

Posted January 29, 2012

My son attended this school four years ago but we are no longer in the district. I had the same experience as the person who posted August 2nd. I think that if a kid needs help, there should be accomodations. All the teachers would give unsolicited advice regarding meds .Its unprofessional and against the law. I do not think the teachers are sympathetic to students that may require extra from them. It was not every teacher there,but the general impression was that they were not interested and couldnt be bothered. I think that since two people had the same type of experience ,there are probably more. I think the older teachers should be more educated and tolerant towards children with different or special needs.

Posted January 28, 2012

My son is learning so much here. I love the charm and look of this school. We walk everyday because our home is close but I think they do bus children. Wonderful,smart teachers.

Posted August 21, 2011

Whom ever wrote the Aug..2nd review seems very upset. I would give the advice to request a CSE meeting and hire an attorney to help you go over all the needs you require for your child. The school does have good teachers who do know how to teach but if you don't requirements set forth in writing you won't get anywhere. This school is good and well maintained inside and out. The taxes are low which does not say the school is poor, we have lots of industry in Hicksville which help maintain our taxes.

Posted August 6, 2011

Had no problems with this school. Not a perfect school but my twins have learned so much. As with any child they learn first at home.

Posted August 2, 2011

At first glance this school seems to fit every need you could ask for. However, when your child has "special needs" it gets tricky. First and foremost the school does what it wants. The protocol of the District is not aided. And when you go further to ask why you are told that each school in the district has it own set of rules that every principal sets forth. Teachers are not Special Ed certified so Kindergarten teachers that do not know a thing about communication books for special education children when confronted with this task "flip out". They are running a special ed class yet they cannot be bothered. Secondly, teachers are big on med's here. whatever, whenever , whoever ..they want you to medicate your kid. Hence, the fact they are supposed to provide you with adequate assistance for teachers, They just cant they are in over their heads. Dont even try getting more services even if Doctors provide Dx . They do not abide by letters or evaluations outside of their realm. Overall taxes are low because you get what you are paying for . Poor teachers, below average all the way around. If you asked me if I would be writing a review like this 5 years ago I would have choked .

Posted June 11, 2011

Thank you for teaching my chuldren and for all the fun homework which has taeched my son to read in kindergarden. The best!

Posted April 18, 2011

Our son started K in 2010 in this school. We have the greatest respect and admiration for his teachers and the principal. They invest a great deal in kids and try and make sure they achieve their best. We have nothing but good words for the school.

Posted April 17, 2011

my child went to east street and i found that the teachers did not care for the students. only a handful of teachers really took the time out. the principal should retire because she really does not care for her students. she picks out a few and they get all the good attention. we have been out of that school for 5 years and have spoken to other parents who have students enrolled presently say the same thing. i rate it a one star.

Posted December 11, 2009

hi i'm a former student at east street school all the teachers i have had are absolutely amazing they have helped me learn and grow all through out the elementary years and now that i'm not there anymore i miss it i wan't to thank all of my teacher s especially ms bergeron for helping me thanks ms.b!!!!
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 15, 2009

This school is wonderful. The teachers are like no others I have ever encountered . They care . East Street has done so much for my family and they should be rated #1 they strive for excellence .

Posted March 2, 2009

Great school. No nonsense principal

Posted September 30, 2008

east street does not really care for their students and the prncipal is not really caring she picks out her favorite students and the rest she puts the blame on them even though the student did not do whatever she says was done. i know so many parents who have pulled there children out because of no challege at east street. if a child is very smart he/she cannot advance to any level. i think and i rate this school as a 1. my child spent k-5th grade and was not recognized for his high standards. i chose in 6-8th grade a private school and he is accepted who he is and is a honors student, i wished i had taken my child out of east st in earlier grade and placed where he is. anyone out there don't place your child in east st.

Posted November 17, 2007

I m a student . Im tony park and i really love this school~! I may not be a student right now but I want to thank Ms. Svraka, Ms. woods, Ms. Debbecker, Ms. Marsheen, Mr. C, Mr. F and all the other teachers forteaching me! go go east street~!!!!!!!!!! ^^
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 14, 2006

I am very pleased with the quality of East Street School. In particular, my children have been lucky enough to have Mr. Starkey. He is an excellent and dedicated 5th Grade teacher.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 32% in 2014.

58 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2013-2014 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in Science. At present 2013-14 results are available only for English language arts and math. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 33% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 43% in 2014.

62 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 90% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

62 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Hispanic 2 36% 23%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%

• MS. JEAN MARIE SERRA

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now