Hicksville, NY

East Street School 4

Posted October 16, 2013
So Far so good. The teachers are great and involved in the students work load. They communicate with the parents and send notes when needed.

Posted September 01, 2013
Excellent education system. 3 of my kids went there. Teacher, principle & all staff is very loving caring & responsible.

Posted August 20, 2013
Great school with a real family feel. Love the school community which is comprised of many nice families who truly care about their child's education.

Posted September 04, 2012
I just started my freshman year of high school and I can still remember East Street like it was yesterday! I remember all of my teachers being amazing, especially Ms. Bergeron who unfortunately retired a couple years ago. 5th grade was the best year of my life. Ms. Bergeron along with the faculty at the school helped so much in preparing us for middle school that it was such an easy ride through those 3 years of HMS. Growing up school work always came very easy to me and since my teachers realized this I was in Math Olympiads and Great Books which I think they might have changed the name of now. Initially, I remember not wanting to be in these organizations but now I'm so happy that East Street pushed me into it. I'm still best friends with my best friend that I made in kindergarten. East Street is definitely a lot more like a family. I go back every year to say hello to all my old teachers and they all remember my name which is rare to find in a public school. 6th grade was such a breeze for me because of the great preparation the East Street gave me. Thank you Ms. Bergeron and the faculty of East Street for an amazing Elementary School experience. I wish I could go back :)

East Street School 4

Posted July 03, 2012
I can honestly say I am pleased with the education our child is receiving at East Street. The school is well maintained, and the teachers are very nice. I am VERY happy with the offerings of music, art and computers since many schools have been forced to cut fundings for these programs. Our child is also part of the RISE program which is geared towards children who can take on more challenging work, but are still required to maintain their regular classwork. This is an excellent program because it engages their creativity which unfortunately is lacking in most classrooms (not at East St) because many schools are forced to "teach to the test". My only complaint is that it does not begin until the 3rd grade. We have another child entering Kindergarten in the fall and look forward to a similar experience at East St. Yes our taxes are (I think) the 4th lowest in Nassau County, and yes I agree with another parent who commented saying that is bc we have so much industry in Hicksville to offset our taxes. It does not mean our schools are any less effective or that our children are receiving less of an education.

East Street School 2

Posted July 02, 2012
This schools principal were blinders and does nothing about bullys .The teachers teach too fast and children get pulled out for other special services during important lessons and are expected to undrstand the lesson . there is no review for those students . not happy with school or principal and they let anyone come to the school even out of district children ,. why do we pay taxes for .

East Street School 2

Posted January 29, 2012
My son attended this school four years ago but we are no longer in the district. I had the same experience as the person who posted August 2nd. I think that if a kid needs help, there should be accomodations. All the teachers would give unsolicited advice regarding meds .Its unprofessional and against the law. I do not think the teachers are sympathetic to students that may require extra from them. It was not every teacher there,but the general impression was that they were not interested and couldnt be bothered. I think that since two people had the same type of experience ,there are probably more. I think the older teachers should be more educated and tolerant towards children with different or special needs.

Posted January 28, 2012
My son is learning so much here. I love the charm and look of this school. We walk everyday because our home is close but I think they do bus children. Wonderful,smart teachers.

Posted August 21, 2011
Whom ever wrote the Aug..2nd review seems very upset. I would give the advice to request a CSE meeting and hire an attorney to help you go over all the needs you require for your child. The school does have good teachers who do know how to teach but if you don't requirements set forth in writing you won't get anywhere. This school is good and well maintained inside and out. The taxes are low which does not say the school is poor, we have lots of industry in Hicksville which help maintain our taxes.

Posted August 06, 2011
Had no problems with this school. Not a perfect school but my twins have learned so much. As with any child they learn first at home.

East Street School
50 East Street, Hicksville, NY  11801
Last modified East Street School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
East Street School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top