Hollis, NY

Posted December 09, 2014
Wellspring is a new school which opened in 2011 since then it is very clear that the staff is learning from mistakes and striving to better and correct the issues the school has. The school has always excelled in academics, Quran and arabic. This year it is evident the group of teachers are more experienced and the communication between parents and teachers/admin has greatly improved. There are more opportunities for parents to be involved in the school which is very refreshing compared to previous years. Looking forward to seeing the school continue to improve to the vision and standards set by admin.

Posted December 05, 2014
To tell the truth I was a little hesitate to send back my kids to this school. Last year was tough but Alhamdulillah I think this year they have a band of strong teachers. I got emails every Friday informing what the students learn that week and also what they will learn the next week. So communication between teachers and parents are built very good in Wellspring. I just received their report card and I can tell from the teachers' comments about my kids that they really understand my kids' characteristic and personalities, not just one copy-paste comment applied for all students. In shaa Allah, with Allah's help this school will continue to educate our children.

Posted November 22, 2014
Creativity and hands on is still sub par at this school. I am pleased with Arabic as my child is learning to read. I agree with the comment listed earlier regarding lack of positive reinforcement- there is none. My child who is in public school has awards, certificates, pizza parties for good behavior and class competitions vs this school where each child regardless of how good or disruptive they are gets to select from a treasure jar. Children at a young age like recognition and to be told they did well and congratulated. The parents at this school are all professionals and we want the best for our children. I cant say if I will return for another year because I am not happy academically. My child performs well according to school standards but having my child tested raised concerns. It is a small school and teachers are easily accessible which is a plus but to recap I am not happy with academics, lack of parental involvement, lack of creativity and lack of hands on projects/learning. As with any new school there will be hiccups but the reputation of this school has been on the decline which is also worrysome. Just wish things were a bit different at this school.
4 people found this helpful

Posted November 19, 2014
I usually am not one to write reviews but was very disheartened reading the reviews for wellspring. Wellspring has proven to have been the best decision we have made for our child's education. We value Wellspring for the wholesome atmosphere, the progress we have seen in our child's academic and islamic education as well as the close friendships made with classmates. It truly makes my heart happy knowing that my child is in such an environment and makes every penny of the tuition worthwhile. My family sees the tuition as an investment into our child's future rather than an expense. I wholeheartedly disagree with the reviews that state there is no positive reinforcement. My child is always telling me about the reward chart system in class. I am constantly comparing the curriculum and work in my child's grade with that of other schools of the same grade and wellspring's standards are at least one grade level above. We receive weekly email updates from the teacher every Friday informing us about what was covering that week in class. Any email I have sent was always answered within the same day by our child's teacher. So far the pro of sending our child greatly outweigh the cons.
6 people found this helpful

Wellspring Elementary 3

Posted November 19, 2014
I will agree that admin has phobia of letting parents involved in school. They think that they know best, which is why they have bad reviews. They charge money for everything and fundraisers are a way to get more money out of school's parents (who are already in a financial burden of tuition). Finally, creativity is still something I am looking for. On the other hand, Wellspring has good vision and educational standards. Their Quran Hifz is wonderful, Academic expectations are high (quality of a good school), teachers are dedicated to the students, competent & approachable (not all are Masters level), Arabic for higher grades is good, and we are able to get weekly updates. In addition, the school parents are highly educated professionals. They all value education (if they complain, admin please take notice!!) I really hope the school gets their act together soon (just get parents involved, they can do wonders with their ideas), otherwise their parents turnover will be similar to teachers turnover rate.
10 people found this helpful

Posted November 17, 2014
This school is extremely overpriced for what you recieve. It is by far the most expensive islamic school in NY. Clocking in $7995k plus fees it brings you to almost $9k and that's not including trips and misc expenses. Expenses are never explained. There is no positive reinforcement in the school interms of student of the month, good behavior etc. Competitions are all prohibited and kids are told what to do for science fair projects as it will be a more impressive show to the parents. Creativity is little to none on a daily basis. Teachers can use a course in dealing with children. Academically I think it's behind compared to public school and what is being taught.
5 people found this helpful

Wellspring Elementary 2

Posted October 22, 2014
It is with a heavy heart I write this review because I feel that my concerns are not adhered to. Last year was incredibly rough and we wanted to give the school a second chance. While I do appreciate the memos being sent home the sanitary conditions of the school is of major importance especially with the cold season approaching. Drop off and dismissal parents are waiting for their children in cold weather and some parents have younger children standing outside. If dismissal is slated for 2:45, efforts should be made to have all classes down by that time and not waiting and extra 10 minutes outside for your child. The hygienic conditions of the floors being slippery I assume due to washing hands, wudu and bathroom conditions are also incredibly unpleasant and dirty. I would suggest if you are a new parent interested in this school to visit the school possibly during school hours and take stock for yourself.
11 people found this helpful

Posted October 21, 2014
Very bad combination of very expensive and value not delivered. High turnover of staff and teachers. Islamic look but unislamic interactions with others (how can they teach kids to smile when the staff and teachers walk around with frowned faces). Whatever staff they have is very unprofessional and disrespectful to others. They're always in meetings and busy and don't have time for you even if you need something important. They treat you like you are subhuman. Avoid this school until it's rectified. Don't waste your time/money and your kids' irreplaceable time.
3 people found this helpful

Posted August 29, 2014
The schools admin markets the school well! However, the school had had high teacher turnover over since inception. It's common for some grades to have 3-4 different teachers in a year! In this scenario, the child doesn't learn anything. School charges a lot of money and doesn't deliver even 50 % of what they marketed the school as. Below average academics when you get past KG at this school. No creativity at all. Little to no opportunities for parental involvement.

Posted August 22, 2014
Ideas sold to parents are different from what takes place. Parents are kept at an arms length. Extremely high teacher turnover. Teachers are changed without notice and parents not informed by the school. Some grades lost 3 teachers in 1 yr. Admin gets defensive when concerns are brought to them. Website displays credentials of teachers that are no longer at the school. School is marketed to make you feel they have the best teachers/best islamic environment, but with non Muslim teachers teaching your children it's hard to agree. No school nurse, high teacher turnover, teachers underpaid/ finances not explained. Each year more parents withdraw from the school. Children who left wellspring and gone to public schools have been behind academically. The wellspring model of creativity, islamic /Arabic concepts being integrated into the curriculum is misleading. I have not witnessed it in hw/classwork. On the positive its a small school, kids are familiar with each other. The Arabic and Quran teachers are great.
6 people found this helpful