Hopewell Junction, NY
Students enrolled: 2,096

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted July 21, 2015
The amount of homework is perfect in my opinion. Not too much and not too little.

Posted July 18, 2015
This school prepared me to be competitive and successful in college, now I am a teacher myself and value my experiences at John Jay.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted July 18, 2015
Not all my teachers were inspiring, but I was provided with a deep understanding of the material and ultimately a love for learning.

Posted April 10, 2015
Excellent teachers and administrators! Great college prep, top music and drama programs, very competitive athletics program, and a very good variety of additional clubs and activities.

John Jay Senior High School 1

Posted November 05, 2014
My kids transferred in from a different state. No effective transfer program. The school cannot even provide them with Id's. Special education department is a joke, I pulled my kid out of it. Met with a guidance counselor who told us it is to much work to move out daughter mid semester. Some good teachers but support staff needs a class in manners and how to be nice to people.

John Jay Senior High School 4

Posted August 08, 2014
I am not a fan of the public school system in general and this school is indeed WAY TOO big but I must say that there are many terrific teachers here despite what some reviews here have reported. My child entered as a freshman from private school 3 years ago and I think the leadership within the school does a great job managing the incredible size of the student body while still offering a solid AP and honors curriculum and some great teaching.

John Jay Senior High School 1

Posted March 04, 2014
Horrid school with overly crowded halls. Teachers overload students with far too much work and double that load on weekends. Gym class forces students to climb a telephone pole and jump off with only a tiny rope and an ineffective teacher on the other end. Any attempt to have that modified results in a failing grade and stubborn responses from various teachers and principals. The gym requirements are inflexible and can result in otherwise bright children being forced to drop out since graduating is impossible for them. Ability to go from regents classes to non-regents ones is also near impossible even though they claim it is easy in orientation. 99% of the teachers are poor at best with only a few being remotely positive teaching their classes.

Posted October 03, 2009
They have done and excellent and creative job with Special Ed.

Posted February 15, 2009
This school is one of the finest educational institutions i have ever had the pleasure of knowing. The staff and janitorial staff are absolutely delightful and kind to the students while providing a fun, clean, safe work and learning environment. I sincerely believe that for one to have the opportunity to attend such an illustrious institition is the chance of a lifetime.

John Jay Senior High School 4

Posted August 08, 2008
Though it has been 4 years since I have graduated from John Jay, I still believe it to be a fantastic school. As a former education major in college I have had the chance to observe many schools and I have found that 'Jay' offers excellent courses, activities and teachers.

2012 Route 52, Hopewell Junction, NY  12533
Last modified John Jay Senior High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John Jay Senior High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top