Bad
Good

Lack of real focus on academics. Poor SAT scores. Rigid administration that is not sensitive to the needs of the students.

I'm currently a senior at this school and I wish I went to a private school instead. I had problems with the guidance department since day one. In 9th grade I was put in boys gym (i'm a girl) and they failed to put me into the AP/ honors courses I was supposed to be in. After 5 weeks of fighting with them, they put me into one of the honors classes I was supposed to be in and told me they'd put me in the AP classes next year. That never happened. Every year of my high school career they've screwed up my schedule and have given me such a hard time when I tried fixing it. The only person who really knows what he is doing is the head of the Guidance Department. He also runs the Career Academies which are probably one of the only pluses of this school. The teachers that teach Honors/AP are the only ones who really care about their student's education. The regular regents teachers do the bare minimum and some barely even make an effort to help their students even when they're struggling.

Teachers here go to work to collect a paycheck and earn a pension. The Few who used to care are waiting for the pension bell to ring. Every year there is a budget vote with fear mongering and scare tactics, of what the children will loose, none of which matter because when its voted down, there is a revote 1 week later after some "minor changes" and it is mysteriously passed. I have lived here 20 years and have never seen different. What I have seen was a first class school go downhill.

School is all about sports. And when student defends themselves, they get the same punishment as the bully. Most teachers do care about the students, though. In simple terms, the more money you have, the better you will be treated.

Last modified East Islip High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.