Jackson Heights, NY

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted May 30, 2015
Education is superior. One on one attention. Teachers are always available for extra help. All you do is ask! Administration is supportive. My child loves this school!

Posted May 30, 2015
Great environment for my children. The education is superior. Communication with faculty is open. It is a great school to grow up in. Develops your child's independence.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted May 29, 2015
The teachers at this school are extremely dedicated and the small class sizes are great. My child loves it here. Cant wait for next year at Garden school!

Posted May 29, 2015
The students have to sit still?! Homework for everyone??!! Who even thinks of these torturous methods! And what is this homeroom? I have never even heard of such a concept! Surely Garden is the only school in New York to have this "homeroom". Yikes. The school is great. The teachers are great. My child loves it here. The only problem is an outrageous sense of entitlement exhibited by some parents. This is hindering our children's education. Let the teachers teach. Let the students learn.

Garden School 1

Posted May 26, 2015
The school is running off the rails this year. Fourth grade teachers punish the entire class for the actions of a few. One kid out of his seat? Homework for everyone. Two kids talking during "homeroom" (twenty minutes at the beginning and end of each day when no instruction of any value takes place at all)??? Then the lights go out and the entire class has to sit perfectly still...if anyone moves, the entire class gets recess detention.

Posted June 16, 2014
We are long time Garden School parents who now have been able to see the magic that goes on here. Not every second of every day but much of the time and the end result for so many of the students we have known for years, it that they are young people that you would really want to know. They are engaging, energetic, full of ideas, caring and often highly intelligent, free thinkers. V. happy with what we see and this is a long perspective lens on all good and less good that Garden School has to offer. Compared to other independent schools in NYC, it's affordable and if you look closer at the many specific offerings it is a savings for those who do a lot of enrichment activities for their children. There are students going for a prep level instruction as well as students who need more TLC in a classroom and there is no stigma either way. This school is a true asset to Jackson Heights and we have heard students thanking their parents for placing them in this school.

Posted April 02, 2014
staff is kindly and awesome. my daughter will go to Prek this September. I wish they will have a dual language class for prek also.

Posted March 22, 2013
I went to Garden School from 1961 until my family moved in 1972. From Garden I was enrolled into Locust Valley High School. Where I was so far ahead of the other students I never picked up a book and got my diploma 2 years later.

Posted February 13, 2013
Daughter has been attending for 3 years and it works for us. We like the fact that she has Chinese instruction, music, PE, gym, and many after school options at such a young age.

Posted February 11, 2013
Garden School says it's a small school doing great things. I agree. Great is subjective, but to me it means graduating students with a solid academic foundation, a strong sense of community and the confidence to think and act critically and independently. These values are not sexy or trendy. They just build responsible young men and women.

33-16 79th St, Jackson Heights, NY  11372