Jhs 217 Robert A Van Wyck

Public | 6-8 | 1669 students

Posted May 26, 2014

I like my school, I like how the teachers care about the students and their education. I know some of the students mess up the school, there are some gangs but you just have to ignore them. Overall I love my school

Posted November 12, 2013

My son and daughter attends this school. They are in 6th and 8th grade. I was initially nervous about sending them to this school, but this is the end of my second year and I am so happy. My son who was always struggling is has been on the honor roll two years now, thanks to Pupil Path and the dedication of the teachers. I have never met a nicer staff and principal. So happy to have my children attend this school.

Posted November 11, 2013

This school has a great reputation regarding teacher interest in helping and caring. My child is currently in attendance here and I have no regrets. She excel at her work and can communicate with her teachers if she needs help. I am constantly getting phone calls with regards to up coming events. From attending parent teacher meetings I see the work and dedication each of her teachers have put into their student. I think ps 217 is a gem in this neighborhood and highly recommend this school. Of course we can't depend on teacher actions alone for our child's success. We are in this as well so parents don't blame the school if your child isn't doing well. Are you doing enough to help?

Posted September 18, 2013

This happen last year.My daughter and son used to go to this school my daughter got bullied to the point where she could not focus I wish I didn't put her in this school the teacher and principal do not care they just ignore me I put them in a better school and now I feel so much better this school is a mad house parents control your kids

Posted June 28, 2013

My daughter went here for 6th grade and half of 7th. She was bullied and harassed to the point of having a nervous breakdown. The principal could not care less and the bullies were just told to stop it and they kept bothering her. Her average was a 60%. Some genuine great teachers but terrible principal. I placed her in a private school St.Demetrios Jamaica Day School shes never been happier and she has an 80%.

Posted November 22, 2011

I have a child in this school. Teachers are great..the staff are caring...and whats good is they always remind us about the events in this school....they communicate by phone if your child have issues(late..absent etc) same day...they really show concern. The curriculum is great....math...science...social studies...they have a lot of extra curricular activities that will help the children to grow and learn more.... Teachers have a high standard in teachings and they make sure that the child understands and learn everything...they are very helpful..thanks to teachers and, dmin of this school,youre all doing great job.

Posted June 28, 2011

I attended Van Wyck JHS from Sep. 66 thru Jun 69 after completing the sixth grade at Shimer JHS 142. What a wonderful time to be there! Everything was great: the teachers, the curriculum, the sports, and the facilities. I have many fond memories of the teachers and the students.

Posted September 8, 2009

This school is very good the teachers in the school are very helpful and nice and they will do what ever they can to help us be succsessful there funny and they treat us good they are like our best friend

Posted April 10, 2009

The teachers are good listeners they have conversations that aid the students in a social, respectful and professional manner. When they see something they actually did something.

Posted March 22, 2009

I attended 217 for 2 yrs(6 n 7th grade) then i moved to ct...This middle school compared to one one in CT is the best ms school ever. MS217 have some of the best teoachers ever...n they care about their students n their edcuation...I love this school..the ms school in CT is horrable..i hated it...so i highly recommend MS217....MT

Posted January 29, 2009

I am currently in high school and i have to say that this school is the best! I had the best 3 years of my life. I also believe that the staff and teachers are excellent even though some parents may not realize it.Take it from a student, this school is the best!!

Posted January 2, 2009

I am a student here in Robert A. Vanwyck 217. I've been going to this school for about 2 years now and in those 2 years I've learned a lot ,but the more important thing I've learned is to try my best. The teachers here ALWAYS encourage you to do your best and always reach for the highest. The principles, assistant principles , staff members, and teachers always want the best for you. They are always looking out for us and making sure we're doing good academically and doing our best! The deans, principle , assistant principles , guidance counselors never give up on you. They sometimes might be tough but in there ways there showing us and telling us always to be good and do good. Overall I love this school and the teachers that go to it and I would suggest this school to anyone I know.

Posted December 25, 2008

I am a seventh grader at middle school 217 i think its the best middle school. Many teachers are very nice actually. They care a lot about the students. I enjoy this school very much. I met a bunch of new people.

Posted April 24, 2008

i am now a student at this school. i am in my last year here which makes me an 8th grader.i think this is a very good school, although some of the students there are not. the teachers seem to really care about the students, even if the students do not see it.

Posted January 20, 2008

I used to go here when i was a 6th grader and i liked it how they cared about the students. I KNOW the parents are wrong about all the negative stuff about the school,the students tend not to care about thier school work. Thats not the teachers fault. This school is the greatest.

Posted December 15, 2007

I really had lots of fun going to this school. I think some teachers are really great. I learned a lot of stuff they are teaching me now that I am a junior in high school back in this , so i think it really helped. Some teachers tend not to care but they realley do. The deans where really strict about there students also back when I wus there, but i have no clue about now. The security was really good. They actually did there job not like in other schools where they just sit there and talk and eat. I really had good times in this school.

Posted November 1, 2007

Hi I have 2 girls that are attending Junior High School 217 Robert A Vanwyck. It's a pretty good school. The only issue I think that's a problem is that some teacher don't believe that you have to know how to speak and communicate with a kids. The same goes for all the School Safety Guards. I believe you have to respect to get respect. Kids when they reach their pre-teen years they do go thru a lot of changes. What I like the most of the school is they really focus on kids education and interest.

Posted June 29, 2007

This school lacks teachers that do their job my son's grades has tooken a steep decline since he started going to this school the Saturday program was a joke this school needs an overall haul!Parents beware try to get your child in a different school!!!

Posted June 29, 2007

I am distressed at the two negative reviews that a couple of parents have written. The staff at our school spends countless unpaid hours helping individual students with tutoring, counseling and advising. No school has a staff that is 100% perfect but most of us work extremely hard to educate some very needy children. I hope that if you as a parent are unhappy that you will try to resolve the issues with our staff. We want to partner with you for the success of your child.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 29, 2007

this school was a great experience although many students do not care much about school. I was very fortunate to have been taught by some great teachers though.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2013.

484 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 30% in 2013.

491 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2012-2013 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in Science. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 31% in 2013.

546 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 27% in 2013.

556 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 33% in 2013.

605 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 27% in 2013.

624 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

613 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students22%

English language learners10%
Proficient in English31%
Non-migrant27%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the New York Department of Education. If there are fewer than 5 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students21%

English language learners13%
Proficient in English66%
Non-migrant58%

Source: New York State Education Department

In 2009-2010, this school was given a grade of "B" for the middle school level.

Progress Report Grades measure the school's contribution to student learning in three areas: School Environment, Student Performance and Student Progress. Schools can receive additional credit for achieving exemplary performance progress among high-needs students. Progress Report Grades range from A to F.

Source: New York City Department of Education

Master's degree and above 57%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%
Source: NYSED, 2011-2012
The NYC Department of Education asked parents, teachers and students about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, safe, communicative and collaborative. Learn more

The information captured by the survey is designed to support a dialogue among all members of the school community about how to make the school a better place to learn. An overall category score is calculated for each respondent group (parents, teachers, or students) by averaging the scores of the questions within that survey category.

Category scores for each of the respondent groups are then combined to form overall category scores. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all NYC public schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the NYC DOE survey »Close
Based on 2326 responses

This school provides ... 1

A safe and respectful environmentWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school creates a physically and emotionally secure environment in which everyone can focus on student learning.

7.5

7.2

9.0

8.0

Clear, useful communication about educational goalsWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school provides information about the school's educational goals and offers appropriate feedback on each student's learning outcome.

8.8

8.5

9.6

7.8

Strong parent, teacher and student engagementWhat's this?

This score measures how engaged parents, students and teachers feel they are in an active and vibrant partnership to promote student learning.

8.6

7.2

9.5

7.8

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures how well parents, students and teachers feel that the school develops rigorous and meaningful academic goals that encourage students to do their best.

8.9

Teachers10296%

12012-2013 New York City Department of Education School Survey

• MR. PATRICK M. BURNS

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Note: Data provided by school administrators and community.
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Sports

Boys sports
  • Basketball
Note: Data provided by school administrators and community.
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

85-05 144th St