No rating

The Mary Louis Academy

Private | 9-12 | 947 students

College Preparatory Curriculum

Living in Jamaica

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $350,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,340.

Posted June 30, 2014

My daughter just finished freshman year. She won a New York City and Diocesan Championship. Was involved in school spirit activities. Was enrolled in all honors classes and did amazing academically. She has made more friends in one year then she did in all of her previous years of schooling. I absolutely love this school. It is academically rigorous but the school provides so much help and support, all you have to do is ask and they will do everything they can to make sure you succeed. I highly recommend this school to everyone.

Posted June 29, 2014

My daughter now suffers from depression because of this school. This school is going downhill and has the worst administration I've ever seen.

Posted June 29, 2014

I passed my courses and this school still forced me to go to summer school because they didn't like my grades. It was literally money thrown in the garbage.

Posted February 22, 2014

Learned more here then college. Build true friends for life. A sister-hood and Builds confidence for a woman to build,dream and achieve anything she see her mind To in life.

Posted January 27, 2014

I am an alum of TMLA. I cannot say enough about this school. I am not a pharmacist. Thanks to the fabulous and relevant education at Mary Louis, I flew through a difficult college program with flying colors, making Dean's List and being inducted in the pharmacy honor society. I now live out of state. If I lived in NY, my daughter would definitely be attending Mary Louis. I have fond memories of my 4 years and I would highly recommend this school and its caring faculty

Posted September 16, 2013

This school as a tendency to sweep kids who are different or having a hard time under the rug. My child was made to feel as though she was at fault for not making friends fast enough for "Saint Kathleen". That woman is apple pie on the outside, but inside, she doesn't understand the modern teenager or give a care to how they are actually feeling. She is a disgusting excuse for a principal.

Posted May 14, 2013

TMLA stresses that it is cultivating women of dignity, however, there is a subculture of bullying and alienation that occurs at this school which gets brushed under the table or is dismissed.

Posted March 7, 2013

I am a graduate of the class of 2004. I had a wonderful experience at TMLA. I had gone to public school through junior high school was was somewhat skeptical of an all-girls catholic school, but I am so glad that I attended this school. TMLA offers a wide array of sports and extra curricular activities, which is a great way to make friends. The school also has strict academic standards and expect all the students to act like adults - which I found to be a great way to prepare me for college. I see some reviews on here about bullying and "don't send your kid here if she is in anyway liberal." Well I am about as liberal as they come and cannot remember a time when I felt my opinion or ideas weren't valued or encouraged. Was there some catty behavior that I saw? Yes of course, but unfortunately in a school of all teenage girls there is bound to be some. I can say that the deans were always very involved whenever there was a problem.

Posted December 18, 2012

Absolutely appalling experience in this school. If you have a child that is in any way liberal or different please do not send them here. The administration is horrible to put it nicely. Of course there are the few teachers that make this school livable. other then that I don't have a single positive thing to say about this school.

Posted October 29, 2012

I am a senior , class of 2012, of The Mary Louis Academy. I have loved this school ever since I transferred here, junior year. I used to go to a very bad public school, where there were a ton of fights and the science and math was taught poorly and there were a lot of bullies. This school, TMLA, is the COMPLETE opposite. In TMLA, there are no fights, very nice girls, and the teachers strongly care about their students and help them out. Plus, the school itself is BEAUTIFUL. The furniture and computers and everything is very clean and pretty and there is no writing on the desks. The 1st day that I walked through the doors of TMLA, I knew that I was meant to be here and I fell in love with this school. Along with many other seniors, I am going to be upset when I have to leave this amazing school and leave all my friends, but we will stay in touch, and I will be able to look back with a smile on my face that I went to this lovely school. I very strongly recommend that you go to this school.

Posted September 7, 2012

My daughter is a graduate of TMLA. What started as a exceptional experience turned into a nightmare her last year and a half of high school. TMLA has an enormous bullying problem which the administration and deans refuse to acknowledge. When I called the dean to discuss the problem I was told that the girls who her bulling my daughter truly were very nice girls, and that my daughter should seek out new friends. Much to my shock and dismay the dean made the same statement to my daughter, who was a victim of bullying. I was asked what I thought the school should do to assist in this matter. When I told the dean that I thought the Academy should start one of the many anti-bulling programs available, the dean literally laughed, and said "Those programs never work!!" That is when I realized that TMLA has a bullying problem because it has adult bullies running the school.

Posted August 17, 2012

My daughter is heading into senior year. The teacher's have been really nice. However, I feel that they don't give equal time to all girls in the college planning process. My daughter is an average student and as a result is even more nervous about the college acceptance process. She watched throughout junior year, other girls being chosen (for whatever reason) to go visit colleges during school time. The girls that scored well on the psat's and have higher averages get much more attention in so many ways during the college preparation process. Not a fair situation and also not good for "any" future "woman of dignity's" self esteem. Please be ready for this if your daughter is an average student. I had heard such wonderful things before attending this school but will help my daughter on our own in the next few months. It must be because they are hedging their bets that the higher scoring girls get them on the "ivy and better" college acceptance lists. I was an average student yet, in the end, I am making more money and am much more successful in the real world than most of the ivy league people my age and in retrospect, I credit St. Agnes High School for helping to mold me.

Posted October 28, 2011

I am a freshman (or, as our principal Sister Kathleen refers to us, freshwoman) at TMLA and I can honestly say that Mary Louis is the most beautiful school I have ever seen. Its library is just like stepping into Hogwarts. The school looks like a castle. Its beautifully crafted doorways and windows are something out of a fairytale. My favorite part of the school is the Library. I love the benches by the windows that are fully cushioned. The warm mahogany work tables always have students diligently working at them. Books line the walls of the main area of the library, but tucked behind a wall is a beautiful book room with small one person couches tucked into corners. This library is what truly defines Mary Louis as a school.

Posted April 19, 2011

I had no plans to attend a Catholic High school, but my parents wanted me to take the entrance exam anyway. It must have been fate, because the minute I walked through the doors of TMLA to take the exam, I knew this was where I wanted to recieve my high school education. I will always look back fondly at my four years at Mary Louis as a time of great happiness.

Posted March 21, 2011

I graduated from TMLA in 1994. I was very well prepared for college, grad school and work! The work ethic is strong and they accept no excuses. I'd love to send my daughter there one day! But she's only 4 now :) The idea of all girls fosters the belief that women can be leaders, just as much as our male counterparts.

Posted January 29, 2011

I agree with the person below me about the work ethic that The Mary Louis Academy instills its students. I've come to understand that a good education should be measured not by the amount of facts that are taught(though, these are important, too), but by the way it encourages students to think and experience the world. TMLA taught me that I must always give my full effort if I hope to succeed, and to expect nothing less of others. I know that certain elements of TMLA's mission are somewhat controversial--single gender education, religious education, uniforms--but I firmly believe that I am who I am today precisely because of these aspects, and not in spite of them. Of course, I've changed in many respects since I was 17--my most formative years had yet to occur--but Mary Louis laid the groundwork, and for that I am forever thankful.

Posted December 19, 2009

i am a freshmen at mary louis and i love it, the students an staff are so welcoming and fun to be around

Posted October 23, 2009

My daughter is currently a freshman at The Mary Louis Academy. The way in which incoming freshman (and parents) were prepared for the transition to high school indicates a well organized and nuturing environment. My daughter is thriving academically and socially. The teachers I have met are wonderful and seem sincere in their desire to educate. I have yet to hear a complaint about this school, and I certainly don't have any. We are very happy with this high school.

Posted October 23, 2009

As a alumnae from the class of 2009 I cannot get over the experience I had at Mary Louis. When talking to my former classmates I try to look back on my time there with some perspective that it wasn't all fun and games however I can't say enough about what this school gave to me. I honestly have been changed as a person because of what I learned there. I do consider myself a woman of dignity and now I expect only the best because that was the attitude of Mary Louis. Do your best, expect the best, and never settle for less. For me, Mary Louis is no longer a school but a second home.

Posted October 20, 2009

This school encourages young girls to become strong, intelligent women!

Two or more races 12% N/A
Asian 11% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 2% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 2-year college 0% (2012)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 100% (2012)
Percentage of students going to the military 0% (2012)
Percentage of students going to vocational programs 0% (2012)
Percentage of students going directly into the workforce 0% (2012)
Colleges most students attend after graduation St. John's University
State University of New York
Adelphi University
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Security personnel
School social worker/counselors(s)
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Italian
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Engineering

• Performing arts
  • Visual arts
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• Debate
  • Forensics club
  • National Honor Society

• Kathleen Mckinney
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • All girls
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Social justice
  • Technology
  • Visual arts
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
Foreign languages taught
  • Latin
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Vocational or skills-based training offered
  • None

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Library
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Graphics
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Amnesty international
  • Anime club
  • Art club
  • Book/reading club
  • Debate
  • Drama club
  • Foreign language and culture club
  • Forensics club
  • Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA)
  • Literary magazine

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer time after school

School-based aid
Outside scholarships
Endowed Scholarships

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
St. John's University
State University of New York
Adelphi University
College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
SAT/ACT prep classes
School-sponsored trips to college campuses
Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
Students' post-graduation plans in 2012