Jamaica, NY
After care: No

Posted January 16, 2015
This school has caused myself, and many other people I know to become clinically depressed. A star student in elementary school, I was an extremely good learner and I was well-liked among the administration and faculty. However, in mary louis, I realized that anyone who does not fit the mold that the administration wants, will be consistently denied the right to be who she is. It is a stifling environment and if you are in any way not average or normal ,including the music you listen to, the kind of person you are, grade-wise, ANYTHING, do not go here. It was the absolute worst 4 years of my life and I cannot say more to deter someone from going to this ridiculously overrated school. There is rampant bullying and alienation from other girls. The bullying is sometimes passive, from not including people to outright taking things from ones locker and throwing them out or stealing them, it all occurs here with no recognition from the administration. The stress of classes is awful as well, from constant barraging from faculty to take honors and AP courses, even if you might not be ready. For the sake of your daughter, choose another school.

Posted June 30, 2014
My daughter just finished freshman year. She won a New York City and Diocesan Championship. Was involved in school spirit activities. Was enrolled in all honors classes and did amazing academically. She has made more friends in one year then she did in all of her previous years of schooling. I absolutely love this school. It is academically rigorous but the school provides so much help and support, all you have to do is ask and they will do everything they can to make sure you succeed. I highly recommend this school to everyone.

Posted June 29, 2014
My daughter now suffers from depression because of this school. This school is going downhill and has the worst administration I've ever seen.

Posted June 29, 2014
I passed my courses and this school still forced me to go to summer school because they didn't like my grades. It was literally money thrown in the garbage.

Posted February 22, 2014
Learned more here then college. Build true friends for life. A sister-hood and Builds confidence for a woman to build,dream and achieve anything she see her mind To in life.

Posted January 27, 2014
I am an alum of TMLA. I cannot say enough about this school. I am not a pharmacist. Thanks to the fabulous and relevant education at Mary Louis, I flew through a difficult college program with flying colors, making Dean's List and being inducted in the pharmacy honor society. I now live out of state. If I lived in NY, my daughter would definitely be attending Mary Louis. I have fond memories of my 4 years and I would highly recommend this school and its caring faculty

Posted September 16, 2013
This school as a tendency to sweep kids who are different or having a hard time under the rug. My child was made to feel as though she was at fault for not making friends fast enough for "Saint Kathleen". That woman is apple pie on the outside, but inside, she doesn't understand the modern teenager or give a care to how they are actually feeling. She is a disgusting excuse for a principal.

The Mary Louis Academy 2

Posted May 14, 2013
TMLA stresses that it is cultivating women of dignity, however, there is a subculture of bullying and alienation that occurs at this school which gets brushed under the table or is dismissed.

The Mary Louis Academy 4

Posted March 07, 2013
I am a graduate of the class of 2004. I had a wonderful experience at TMLA. I had gone to public school through junior high school was was somewhat skeptical of an all-girls catholic school, but I am so glad that I attended this school. TMLA offers a wide array of sports and extra curricular activities, which is a great way to make friends. The school also has strict academic standards and expect all the students to act like adults - which I found to be a great way to prepare me for college. I see some reviews on here about bullying and "don't send your kid here if she is in anyway liberal." Well I am about as liberal as they come and cannot remember a time when I felt my opinion or ideas weren't valued or encouraged. Was there some catty behavior that I saw? Yes of course, but unfortunately in a school of all teenage girls there is bound to be some. I can say that the deans were always very involved whenever there was a problem.

Posted December 18, 2012
Absolutely appalling experience in this school. If you have a child that is in any way liberal or different please do not send them here. The administration is horrible to put it nicely. Of course there are the few teachers that make this school livable. other then that I don't have a single positive thing to say about this school.

The Mary Louis Academy
176-21 Wexford Terrace, Jamaica, NY  11432
Last modified The Mary Louis Academy is a Private school that serves grades 9-12
The Mary Louis Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 51 reviews. Top