No rating

United Nations International School

Private | K-8

Living in Jamaica

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $350,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,340.

Posted February 7, 2014

I am not sure if this is a school I would like my son to study at! I tried to register my son in the school and I was astonished with the process: 1) They asked me which department at the UN I work for which sounds very weird to me because I am not sure what this has to do with the admission. 2) I was not given a clear indication on whether he is admitted or no! 3) The admission persons acted very snobbish and I thought I have to bow to get the application processed! Stories I heard from parents having their kids in the school are not really very nice, they mentioned that the culture among students are like: what is the grade of your father? P or G? which is not the type of values I would like to see my kids growing up with.

Posted February 4, 2014

I can not find the Manhattan campus here, but it applies there. Fantastic schol idea and principles (internationalism, UN affiliation, all of that), but that's where the positive aspects halt. Administration is weak, the people have absolutely no idea what they are doing. 90% of New York's public schools are run in a more organized and logical/rational manner than this private school you would assume would be superior. Despicable administration. Just an abomination. Raising tuition for no tangible results. Extremely unhappy children here - some developing anxiety issues, depression, etc. Teachers are horrifyingly not understanding and don't care about students' success'. They cater to the top of classes and refuse to modify their teaching habits for those who may not follow them as well. Some pressure is, of course, acceptable, and necessary. After all, it is school. Though at times it is unfair how much is expected. Absolutely no thought is given to the mental well-being of students. Overall, great general idea and environment in theory, but not worth the money and obscene stress it will cause your child.

Posted October 3, 2013

It is good school I love this school ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 29, 2013

This school has been fantastic for my child during his whole time here. The teachers are kind, caring and one hundred recent dedicated. I cannot understand why anyone would be unsatisfied with this school.

Posted May 15, 2013

We had similar bad experience with this school in the recent years. Teachers have been extremely uninterested or unmotivated. The general attitude of the school and administration has been that of 'if your children are smart, they strive to learn, or they won't.. It is not our responsibility". Our child has clearly told us that he didn't like the school and it's environment.

Posted May 13, 2013

Our kid is not sure how she survived the school this year.. We were referred to this school from our friends who sent their kids years back. After all this is not the same school we imagined from the past experience of our friends. They were surprised how bad the school turned out to be. Partially due to the lukewarm teachers staff, principal and admin staff. No one has a clue what is going on inside this tiny building. We are very disappointed in this school and now using this experience to find a better place for our child. It is pure waste of time and money for our child. We are totally sorry for this.

Posted May 4, 2011

One of the best private schools in the city, possibly the state and country. Their greatest asset is the international community and diversity, which is celebrated throughout the school. Great art programme in junior school (Grades A - 4), excellent IB programme in Tutorial House (grades T1-T4), good music programme. Dedicated, passionate and competent faculty from all over the world. Lots of foreign language instruction (5 days a week from Junior A!). ESL for foreign incoming students. School is certainly the best value among private schools in the city.

Posted July 14, 2010

We've just finished our first year at UNIS (3rd grade). I have boy-girl twins and they were welcomed into the school with open arms. I was worried about them being in the same class, but they were treated as individuals and allowed to excel at their own rate. I find the teachers caring, the academics challenging, and the administration involved. The art and music programs are wonderful and really round out the education. And being part of an international community is a big plus for our family.

Posted October 5, 2008

My daughter is a UNIS 'survivor' (K through 12) while my son was there for the first 9 years (K-8). The pros - excellent building, facilities and location with some truly outstanding teachers. The school's IB program also sets it apart (the only other school in NY to offer it is Dwight). The school also has a student body made up of kids from around the world. The cons - Mediocre to substandard administrative staff particularly at the upper echelons steeped in the crusty bureaucratic ways of the UN most of whom are inflexible if your offspring has the slightest issue. They also tend to be partial to UN parents and borderline hostile to Americans. Athletics are simply appalling with little to no emphasis on sports - soccer being the exception.

Posted August 23, 2008

My son attended UNIS Queens for 9 years. The school gave him a very solid preparation in all subjects. It is a small and intimate campus; the teachers and administration all know all the students well. Teachers are caring and dedicated, giving extra help whenever needed. Since subject teachers have each student for the four years of middle school, they know the classes extremely well and no time is lost at the start of each year reassessing skills. Students develop a global understanding of the world through students and teachers from all over as well as through the curriculum.

Posted June 8, 2006

This is a wonderful school with bright interesting children many of foreign nationals. Chidren are taught tolerance and awareness of world issues. Very strong language programs (mandatory) starting from Kindergarten. My daughter has loved every minute at this school.

Posted November 28, 2005

The quality of academic programs is very good and the setting is great. The only downside would be that children (as most are children of diplomats or UN staff) leave often.

Asian 4% N/A
Two or more races 3% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • NAIS

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

173-53 Croydon Road