Posted December 14, 2014
We had terrible experience with the school. My 7 year old kid was part of a play performed by the class. Initially she had 10 lines, by the end, she had 3 lines. When they played she only had 1 line and some kids buried their heads on the floor and don't have any lines. When asked the teacher, her response was shocking.. 'Your kid didn't practice her lines, so I cut them'. Those other kids who had more lines fumbled and needed a lot of prompting as well. It didn't sound right. Later other parents concluded it is favoritism, partiality etc., that take over competece and talent in this school. We left the school immediately. Thank goodness, it was an eye opener for us
2 people found this helpful

Posted November 08, 2014
we had a very bad experience with this school and staff. We had to pull our kids out of this school which is a painful process as well. Administration and staff are very unfriendly, arrogant and incompetent

Posted October 26, 2014
We sent our kids to this school in Queens campus, which is our biggest mistake in our life. They are bright and active students turned less motivated, lazy, not interested in learning. We were unable to understand the reason at first. When we spoke to the teachers and principal, they acted like as if it is not their concern if the kids are not doing well. They are like they have other headaches to worry, like asking for more donations, building new sites. At the end, it turned out it is the school, not our kids that are bad. We switched them to another school and in less than 2 months they are back on track doing very well. If this helps other parents, we would be very grateful.
9 people found this helpful

Posted September 20, 2014
UNIS Queens is awesome, I have been attending this school for 9 years (K-8) and i have always gotten a very welcoming at home feeling here. All the teachers are super intelligent, kind, and are always supportive. At UNIS Queens, we are like a big family. With only about 200 people attending everyone from kindergarden to 8th grade knows each other. This year i am in 8th grade (therefore i am the oldest) but as child at UNIS i always felt like i had someone to look up to, just because each student was super friendly and well rounded. In this school no one is ever left out or bullied. Our school is very diverse and everyday you seem to come home with a new piece of information about a country because someone always has something to share. Next year i am going to high school and i feel like UNIS has taught me everything and more that i need to know during high school. To conclude, i have had the most wonderful time at UNIS, it is an astonishing school.

Posted February 07, 2014
I am not sure if this is a school I would like my son to study at! I tried to register my son in the school and I was astonished with the process: 1) They asked me which department at the UN I work for which sounds very weird to me because I am not sure what this has to do with the admission. 2) I was not given a clear indication on whether he is admitted or no! 3) The admission persons acted very snobbish and I thought I have to bow to get the application processed! Stories I heard from parents having their kids in the school are not really very nice, they mentioned that the culture among students are like: what is the grade of your father? P or G? which is not the type of values I would like to see my kids growing up with.
8 people found this helpful

Posted February 04, 2014
I can not find the Manhattan campus here, but it applies there. Fantastic schol idea and principles (internationalism, UN affiliation, all of that), but that's where the positive aspects halt. Administration is weak, the people have absolutely no idea what they are doing. 90% of New York's public schools are run in a more organized and logical/rational manner than this private school you would assume would be superior. Despicable administration. Just an abomination. Raising tuition for no tangible results. Extremely unhappy children here - some developing anxiety issues, depression, etc. Teachers are horrifyingly not understanding and don't care about students' success'. They cater to the top of classes and refuse to modify their teaching habits for those who may not follow them as well. Some pressure is, of course, acceptable, and necessary. After all, it is school. Though at times it is unfair how much is expected. Absolutely no thought is given to the mental well-being of students. Overall, great general idea and environment in theory, but not worth the money and obscene stress it will cause your child.
8 people found this helpful

Posted October 03, 2013
It is good school I love this school ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Posted September 29, 2013
This school has been fantastic for my child during his whole time here. The teachers are kind, caring and one hundred recent dedicated. I cannot understand why anyone would be unsatisfied with this school.

Posted May 15, 2013
We had similar bad experience with this school in the recent years. Teachers have been extremely uninterested or unmotivated. The general attitude of the school and administration has been that of 'if your children are smart, they strive to learn, or they won't.. It is not our responsibility". Our child has clearly told us that he didn't like the school and it's environment.

Posted May 13, 2013
Our kid is not sure how she survived the school this year.. We were referred to this school from our friends who sent their kids years back. After all this is not the same school we imagined from the past experience of our friends. They were surprised how bad the school turned out to be. Partially due to the lukewarm teachers staff, principal and admin staff. No one has a clue what is going on inside this tiny building. We are very disappointed in this school and now using this experience to find a better place for our child. It is pure waste of time and money for our child. We are totally sorry for this.

United Nations International School
173-53 Croydon Road, Jamaica, NY  11432
Last modified United Nations International School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
United Nations International School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top