No rating

St. Andrew's Country Day School

Private | PK-8 | 200 students

Our school is best known for its writing-intensive Theme Program.

Living in Kenmore

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $100,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $680.

Posted January 19, 2014

St. Andrew's Country Day School has been a gift to my family. My daughters are both receiving a very sound academic base, and are definitely given the personal attention they need in the classroom setting. In addition, they have tremendous opportunities to grow outside the classroom through soccer, swimming, girl scouts and many more extracurricular activities. The focus on visual and performing arts contributes to the well rounded nature of education at St. Andrew's and is marked by our newly opened Art Gallery on-site! The element that convinces me that St. Andrew's is the best place for my daughters: THE PRODUCT. Our students in 6th, 7th and 8th grade consistently work to be the best examples they can be for the younger students on the sports field, in the classroom and during weekly school masses. Year after year St. Andrew's graduates can boast exceptionally high acceptance rates to area Catholic high schools.

Posted January 19, 2014

A great choice for all families with children from 3 years old to Grade 8. The academic curriculum follows STREAMS, science/technology/religion/engineering/art/mathematics and social studies, integrated and focused on achievement of the New York State Core Standards. The Catholic identity is priority and highly visible in this school. The climate is: Love and respect! All school constituencies are one big loving and goal-oriented family. Students are well behaved and character awards, as well as honor and high honor awards are presented to those who excel. School safety is continuously monitored and promoted in daily activities.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 18, 2014

I graduated from St. Andrew's and proudly send my children there along with the children of other alums. They receive a top notch education in a nurturing enviroment. The teaching staff is excellent, innovative, approachable, and responsive. The families of the children come together as a big family to welcome all and put on events and functions the entire community. The students strive to live and learn by christian ideals and are very welcoming and tolerant of each other and others. The music, foreign language and sports programs nurture the whole child. An elite education for working families. www.standrewscds.net

Posted January 17, 2014

We love SACDS! We have 2 children currently enrolled and one that has since graduated and is in High School. The administration, teachers and staff are all warm, welcoming and exceptional at whatever they do. The Theme program is beyond compare and our oldest was told upon entering high school that they can always tell a St Andrew's graduate because of their theme experience. Even if you are considering a public high school, as we have, I highly recommend a faith-based education at SACDS to prepare your child. You won't be disappointed!

Posted January 16, 2014

St. Andrew's has become my second home, I never went to catholic schools but my husband did and he was persistent on our children going also. I never hesitated to send them because of my personal experience in public schools. When we chose St. Andrew's I never Imagined how much my life would change. I became a part of a special family and got real involved. I met great friends and the atmosphere has always been welcoming. My children are doing very well in there studies, I see some of the work that comes home and think "wow that's a lot" or "what is this" the level of education and support our children get in our school is above and beyond, not to mention our great teachers who are always there with a helping hand for us parents and our kiddos. I feel terrible for all of the catholic schools that have recently closed, the loss of a family and the transmission alone would be a lot to cope with. There are not very many catholic schools left but i'd have to say St. Andrew's Country Day school is an excellent choice. We have a new principle who is amazing and so positive in every aspect. I truly love this place and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a "GREAT SCHOOL".

Posted January 16, 2014

This school is a second home to our family. My children have made wonderful friends and are academically achieving. The teachers go above and beyond their responsibilities. We have a new principal this year and she is a tremendous administrator. Dr. D is leading the staff and has added many great programs to the school day and after school.She has great communication with staff, parents, students, and the parish. St. Andrew's is not only a school but a community. Everyone truly cares for each other and there is always someone to lend a hand when needed.

Posted January 16, 2014

We love St. Andrews Country Day School. Our family went through a closing and when we started to look it gets very confusing for the children. I let my boys pick the schools they wanted to look at after all they have to attend daily. After touring and shadowing at two schools they both said absolutely St. Andrews, they told us that it felt like their school that closed a friendly and loving environment that they wanted to be part of. So we enrolled and its been two years that we have been part of this great family and our boys are really happy they chose St. Andrews. We know have one amazing principal, so full of energy and focused on growing our school to new heights adding new programs and clubs for all students. Dr. D is really amazing if your one of the unfortunate families whose school closed I understand. Our family encourages you strongly to take a tour and schedule a shadow day for your children you will be amazed.

Posted January 15, 2014

My School has just proved once again that their core values are why I send my son there. In the wake of the revitalization, our Home School Association met after hearing the decisions of the diocese. Our Pastor, Msgr. Siepka and our Principal, Dr. Dimitrievski, both spoke compassionately about the schools that were closed and how they wished all could have stayed open. Our leadership committee came up with ideas to express sympathy to the families that have been affected in our cluster. It was clear that there was an atmosphere of love and concern for others. To treat others as we would want to be treated if we had been chosen for closing. True Christian values at work. Every child deserves to grow in this environment where words like caring, sharing, love, and kindness are played out each and every day.

Posted January 15, 2014

I went through a closing 2 yrs agoe and it was hard, but St. Andrew's welcomed us in with open arms. I am sooo greatful for everyone at that school and can't see my daughter going anywhere else! They have soo much to offer and my daughter is always soo happy! Trust me when i say you will love this school when you visit there...you walk in and just feel at home. I am soo proud we are a part of the St. Andrew's family!

Posted October 2, 2013

Luckily for St. Andrews the principal has been replaced and many of the concerns have appeared to have gone away. The new principal is professional, energetic and dedicated to improving the entire school from safety of our children, to an increased focus on academic success and actually accomplishing what she sets out to do. I believe St. Andrews is much better hands than it was even 6 months ago.

Posted January 30, 2013

Excellent school and excellent faculty and staff. Every child should be so lucky to attend a school like this. If you are considering enrollment for your children, there are no other schools that can compare to St. Andrew's.

Posted May 16, 2012

Great school. All day Pre-K program excellent. Highly recommend. The teachers and staff are excellent.

Posted June 25, 2011

This is a great school! Parents, send your childeren here! The kids and teachers are so sweet!

Posted March 14, 2011

Love Love Love this school. Love the teacher Love the staff Love the strick rules

Posted February 2, 2011

This school is so sweet and nice!! Great kids here unlike some other schools where it is very rough. No roughness here at all...there is allot of clubs you can join which is very fun and you get a great education here! I highly suggest this school!

Posted May 6, 2010

St. Andrew's has provided an excellent academic and social environment for all children who have and still do attend. All children are different. St. Andrew s does a wonderful job off meeting the diverse needs of their student body. Further, they provide a safe and healthy environment for all. I can say from experience they would not ask a student to leave unless he was hindering the learning environment of his peers. I am certain the faculty and staff did their best to meet this students needs. I have never met or spoken with a teacher who was rude or did not do their best to help a student. Of course Ken-Ton did a good job, they have much more resources than a private school.

Posted March 3, 2010

Disappointing, I sent my son to learn to be more structured,organized,focused in a nuturing, patient Catholic Ed. for middle school. Academics are great & my son has kept up, but zero tolerance of a child with mild APD, or behavoral issues. They recommended him to leave, find a school that specializes in area,with less kids. Special Ed. Teacher, never spoken with or given us any recommendations. Ken-Ton Ed. dept. very helpful. Some Teachers & principle at school seem unkind, rude & inpatient & they tolerate similiar behavior from other children toward my son. Way to make us leave!! My son is not violent, loud or rude, but has become angry & frustrated, something we never expected.

Posted September 13, 2009

Academics are good, especially theme. Teachers are excellent people, staff is great, principal is a tough character-seems to really be bringing standards to a new level. This school had always been the best for years and he is bringing it back.

Posted May 9, 2009

I'd like to add my comments... Regarding extra help, there;s tons of it...a reading and a math center staffed by quality teachers with lots of experience working to meet the needs of kids, two special education teachers, speech and vision support, and OT and PT supplied by the Ken-Ton district. They also haveteachers are willing to stay after school to help students. But, the school isn't just about the students who are struggling. There is also advanced placement programs which are superior to any other school around. Eighth graders in the program graduate with two high school creditss - in math and science. The quality of these advanced teachers is also excellent. And let's not forget the students 'in the middle' - they are challenged just the right amount. Plus, there is an after shcool program which is available for school holidays and even summer camp! You can't beat that.

Posted March 31, 2009

St. Andrew's is an excellent environment for children. There is a wonderful caring staff that is there to provide support for all children. As for the comment that there is no help for children with disabilities, I know that there is a special education teacher hired by St. Andrew's to help their students along with the services that are provided by the district for children. I believe that St. Andrew's is the only catholic school to have their own special education teacher on staff. If that isn t a school trying to accommodate all students then I don't know what you are looking for. The caring staff works with all students and takes extra time to make sure that all students get what they need. We have been very happy with the education our child has gotten and plan to send our other children there as well.

Asian 3% N/A
Two or more races 2% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School psychologist
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Macedonian
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Visual impairments
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Engineering

• Performing arts
  • Visual arts
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 7:50 am
School end time
  • 2:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Dr. kathy Dimitrievski
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Service learning
  • Technology
  • Visual arts
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Mentoring
  • Remediation
  • Tutoring
Transportation options
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Art room
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Outdoor learning lab
  • Parent center
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Holy Name Society

• Poetry
Media arts
  • Graphics

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Grant Writing Team
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

10 out of 10students were accepted for the 2013-2014 school year.

Students accepted for the 2013-2014 school year
200
Applications received for the 2013-2014 school year
200
Students typically come from these schools
infant daycare or homecare

School-based aid
Outside scholarships
tax credit when available

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Canisius High School