Larchmont, NY

Posted September 01, 2015
You will not be in good hands at Central, you will be in GREAT hands. My child transferred into this district last year and we have had nothing but a positive experience from teachers to aides to Principal. The principal is a hands on class act. She is wonderful. My child adjusted so well. The teachers are phenomenal. Central school is truly a gift. I cannot find one single flaw to mention here. It's a real community feel with very nice families. Nothing is perfect. But this place is as close as it gets!

Posted May 15, 2015
We love Central School. It's our fourth year at the school and we can honestly say the teachers are great, class sizes generally small (unless there are a lot of late enrollees), the student body diverse, after school clubs and other activities enriching (Circus Arts and Magic are my kids' favorites), and families friendly. We also like that this school has the most green space out of any elementary school in the Mamaroneck Union Free School District. Very happy to be at this school.

Central School 1

Posted February 01, 2015
This school never closes. I don't know about you but in a blizzard I don't want anyone driving on the roads. God firbid a bus crashes. They don't care, they are always open. They are not on news 12 so be prepared for your 5am wake up call to tell you it's a 2 hour delay. I can't wait to move. The bullying at this school is also a huge issue. Never again will I come back to Westchester schools. The teachers are the only good thing here, but in the end it's not about what they say, it's the district. Choose wisely before moving here.

Posted January 29, 2015
We are so grateful to the faculty and staff at Central School. We moved our daughter here from another area school and have had one great teacher after another. We find the atmosphere at the school to be very professional, warm and centered on the needs of the children. We think this school really is a wonderful and happy learning environment for children.

Posted August 23, 2012
This school is a gift - from administration to office staff to teachers, everyone works hard and has the students' best interest at heart. Students are viewed as individual learners and the teachers focus on providing additional support when needed and nurturing each child's strengths and interests. As a parent, I have been so impressed with how in depth the teachers can discuss my children's progress throughout the year. The overall feeling of the building is comfortable and inviting and from the moment you enter the school, children's work is celebrated everywhere. I have also been very pleased with how approachable the administration is. They truly have an open door policy and are happy to answer any questions. I attended a couple of workshops they led and feel they are truly instructional leaders. Both the principal and assistant principal have extensive teaching experience and taught many grade levels before becoming administrators. They clearly understand curriculum and are very supportive of teachers expanding their own learning. Overall, we could not be happier with our experience at Central and are thrilled that our children are in such good hands!

Central School 4

Posted April 06, 2012
Great school in a great district. Teachers are caring and use a very differentiated approach to instruction while still following rigorous curriculum guidelines and meeting state standards. The atmosphere is warm and inviting and the administration is very attentive to both kids and parents. I am so pleased with the diversity of this school and feel it is another one of its strengths. The teachers have many professional development opportunities and while they might be out of the classroom to be involved in it, they come back with new ideas that benefit all of our children. This school addresses both the academic and the social development of children which is something I've come to love about Central. Also, the administration takes time to inform parents about the curriculum through written information as well as parent workshops. Many teachers also do this through weekly or monthly class newsletters. I feel like I have a strong understanding of what my children are learning and how they are learning it through these workshops and newsletters. Overall, Central has been a wonderful experience so far for our children and I'm sure it will continue!

Central School 1

Posted March 20, 2012
We moved from the city to this school district because we 'thought' that where homes are overpriced and property taxes are high, there lies the great schools: NOT SO!!! The curriculum is weak, I know so because I am an educator and happen to be very in-the-know as to acceptable vs expected standards of education in elementary schools. Also, every personal in this school is rude, uninterested, and non-challant about any concern a parent may have regarding their standards or styles of teaching. All I can say is, before you buy a house in the CENTRAL school catchment area and pay multimillion dollars for it, do your homework! You may be stuck having to rent your house or sell it below market just to get your kids into a better school district! What a HUGE disappointment!!!! TWO THUMBS DOWN!!

Posted January 14, 2012
I have two children going to Central, and I could not be happier with the school. Central has great teachers, involved parents, smaller classes and the best school campus in Larchmont. Transitioning from preschool to Kindergarten was fantastic, as the 4 Kindergarten classrooms are all on their own wing, with their own lunchroom and playground. The special programs at Central are excellent as well. We are incredibly happy to be at Central.

Posted July 30, 2011
I have two children in the school and can truly say it is a loving, nurturing school FAMILY! Everyone from greeters all the way up tp the principal not only treat each child as their own, but go above and beyond to meet every need of each child, be it academic, social or economic. Everyone pulls together for the greater good of the Central community. There is no school better!

Posted February 13, 2010
Please, do not go by the ratings given by a website. Make some time and go to the school and meet with the principal and asst. principal. Take a walk around the school and see for yourself. This is a great, and diverse learning environment. IF you go just by the scores, what they fail to tell you is Central houses most of the Special Education students in this district and the scores cannot be disaggregated. Come and meet the wonderful students, teachers, and staff. I did and I AM glad I did my research.

Central School
1100 Palmer Avenue, Larchmont, NY  10538
Last modified Central School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Central School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top