Posted August 23, 2012
This school is a gift - from administration to office staff to teachers, everyone works hard and has the students' best interest at heart. Students are viewed as individual learners and the teachers focus on providing additional support when needed and nurturing each child's strengths and interests. As a parent, I have been so impressed with how in depth the teachers can discuss my children's progress throughout the year. The overall feeling of the building is comfortable and inviting and from the moment you enter the school, children's work is celebrated everywhere. I have also been very pleased with how approachable the administration is. They truly have an open door policy and are happy to answer any questions. I attended a couple of workshops they led and feel they are truly instructional leaders. Both the principal and assistant principal have extensive teaching experience and taught many grade levels before becoming administrators. They clearly understand curriculum and are very supportive of teachers expanding their own learning. Overall, we could not be happier with our experience at Central and are thrilled that our children are in such good hands!

Central School 4

Posted April 06, 2012
Great school in a great district. Teachers are caring and use a very differentiated approach to instruction while still following rigorous curriculum guidelines and meeting state standards. The atmosphere is warm and inviting and the administration is very attentive to both kids and parents. I am so pleased with the diversity of this school and feel it is another one of its strengths. The teachers have many professional development opportunities and while they might be out of the classroom to be involved in it, they come back with new ideas that benefit all of our children. This school addresses both the academic and the social development of children which is something I've come to love about Central. Also, the administration takes time to inform parents about the curriculum through written information as well as parent workshops. Many teachers also do this through weekly or monthly class newsletters. I feel like I have a strong understanding of what my children are learning and how they are learning it through these workshops and newsletters. Overall, Central has been a wonderful experience so far for our children and I'm sure it will continue!

Central School 1

Posted March 20, 2012
We moved from the city to this school district because we 'thought' that where homes are overpriced and property taxes are high, there lies the great schools: NOT SO!!! The curriculum is weak, I know so because I am an educator and happen to be very in-the-know as to acceptable vs expected standards of education in elementary schools. Also, every personal in this school is rude, uninterested, and non-challant about any concern a parent may have regarding their standards or styles of teaching. All I can say is, before you buy a house in the CENTRAL school catchment area and pay multimillion dollars for it, do your homework! You may be stuck having to rent your house or sell it below market just to get your kids into a better school district! What a HUGE disappointment!!!! TWO THUMBS DOWN!!

Posted January 14, 2012
I have two children going to Central, and I could not be happier with the school. Central has great teachers, involved parents, smaller classes and the best school campus in Larchmont. Transitioning from preschool to Kindergarten was fantastic, as the 4 Kindergarten classrooms are all on their own wing, with their own lunchroom and playground. The special programs at Central are excellent as well. We are incredibly happy to be at Central.

Posted July 30, 2011
I have two children in the school and can truly say it is a loving, nurturing school FAMILY! Everyone from greeters all the way up tp the principal not only treat each child as their own, but go above and beyond to meet every need of each child, be it academic, social or economic. Everyone pulls together for the greater good of the Central community. There is no school better!

Posted February 13, 2010
Please, do not go by the ratings given by a website. Make some time and go to the school and meet with the principal and asst. principal. Take a walk around the school and see for yourself. This is a great, and diverse learning environment. IF you go just by the scores, what they fail to tell you is Central houses most of the Special Education students in this district and the scores cannot be disaggregated. Come and meet the wonderful students, teachers, and staff. I did and I AM glad I did my research.

Posted February 11, 2010
This is an excellent school! I have three children currently attending Central and I could not be happier with the quality of their education. Our Principal, Carol Houseknecht and her entire adminstration are passionate about the best ways to care for and educate our children. The school has a wonderful community spirit, and every child strives to respect all others within their community. This culture is fostered by teachers and parents alike, and the diversity this school offers is embraced by all. Our state test scores are not an accurate representation of the incredible teaching and learning that is going on at Central. Stop by any day to see and hear all the amazing programs the children have opportunities to be involved in. In addition to all the regular curricular subjects, the children are most fortunate to have outstanding music, art and PE programs in this school. Central is the best!

Posted February 08, 2010

Central School 0

Posted October 15, 2009
This school is absolutely stellar and amongst the top in the country. The way that the data is presented on this (and most other) rating sites is so misrepresented that it should be considered completely invalid. If 'test scores' were separated into two groups - first being 'typical children' and second group being 'children with special needs', you would see Central School skyrocket to the top - in both areas. This is such a major acheivement and is not represented at all. You can imagine - when you have a school with a somewhat small population and a somewhat larger percentage of special-needs children and then take the test scores in aggregate...the school will have a low rating. Yet this school is tops whether the child is typical OR has special needs. This seriously needs to be addressed in the presentation of ratings data.

Posted July 31, 2009

Central School
1100 Palmer Ave, Larchmont, NY  10538
Last modified Central School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Central School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top