Larchmont, NY

Posted February 08, 2015
I have had 3 children go through Murray -- with one currently there. It is a fantastic school. The facilities are great -- wonderful auditorium, two gyms, big and wonderful library, fully equipped music room. But the heart of the school is the teachers. Principal Monaco has done a great job of hiring in the past 10 years. The new teachers and even the teachers who have been here longer than that are truly dedicated, smart, creative and dynamic. We feel so lucky to have landed in this neighborhood with this school and wouldn't change a thing. In fact, I wouldn't move until all of my kids are through Murray!

Posted February 05, 2015
I cannot say enough good things about this school. My kid has attended since K: they are now in 2nd G. The teachers are great. Enthusiastic and knowledgeable - there's no one 'type' but what unities the ones I have experienced is that they are truly excellent at what they do. They seem to really take the time to get to know each kid as an individual and what makes them tick, and to support and/or stretch them where appropriate. I definitely don't feel it's a 'one size fits all' approach. Parent/teacher comms encouraged and there's lots of opportunities to participate in the classroom too. I have found the class sizes to be V.G. Last year, my child was in a class of 18 with 1 teacher and 1 assistant - both full time. This year my child is in a class of 24 with two teachers and one assistant - again all 3 are full time.The specialist teachers for music, arts, the library and PE are great, and add a lot to the kids' development. They also offer a lot of added value activities for the kids to get involved with. The after-school clubs for example are excellent and hugely diverse - everything from fashion design to musical theatre to chess to lego to computer game making!

Posted October 24, 2013
My Grandson goes to Murray Avenue School.....I love the school, the smell of the hallways, the friendliness, the smiling and great teachers. I love those "good mornings" and those "see ya tomorrow" or even "see you at the game" cheers.... Murray Avenue has a special flair, a special atmosphere, you know, it is a special school....that is why my grandson looks forward to going to Murray Avenue each day and why I love visiting his classroom and watching all the other kids. Wish I could go to Murray Avenue just for one whole day and pretend all over again....!

Posted September 14, 2012
Regarding Sep.8th,2012 review, it is bit more than we expected but 24 is not "huge" (Pre-K in Manhattan was 20 or so) and it is not old facility nor lack of technology. By the way, our life is surrounded by Technology. We are happy with school and it was right decision for our kids (took them away from being top 0.5% student game at age 4). Think about overall quality and community value for your kids. "For what you pay to live here..." it is not that much and it's all about choice....

Murray Avenue School 3

Posted September 08, 2012
Class size is huge - 24 kids in kindergarten. Big dissapointment given the tremendous reviews. Teachers are great, but stretched too thin. Very old facilities and lack of technology. For what you pay to live here, I would expect more.

Posted July 09, 2012
My four children attended Murray Avenue Elementary School and it was a fantastic experience for all of them. The school did an excellent job adapting for my four kid's very different academic needs. The teachers were caring, dedicated, and available. The curriculum was broad and did not just "teach to the test"...all four have now entered the Hommocks Middle School where they are continuing to thrive. I highly recommend Murray Avenue School for it's education, sense of community, and overall experience.

Posted August 14, 2011
I went through Murray Ave from 3rd thru 6th grade back in the early 1960s and loved every moment I was there. I thoroughly concur with all those parents who have seen the value in the school , teachers and administration. My 6th grade teacher (back then Murray went up thru 6th) , Mr. Kurak, so inspired me that I never forgot him and became a teacher for 30 years. Although I feel I was never as good as he was I attempted to replicate all that he instilled in me and tried to make learning fun and enjoyable. I only wish I could have let him know how much an affect he had on me and I'm sure many others. I went back after 45 years away in 2009 and toured the school and couldn't believe how much it had not changed so all you parents are seeing pretty much what I saw with some obvious upgrades and improvements in technology. I am now retired and still love seeing how well Murray Avenue is doing. May this school and staff continue to do well and inspire her students for years to come. A male student from the class of 1964.

Posted August 13, 2011
My daughter had the most amazing kindergarten year here. The teachers are wonderful, the environment is nurturing and the principal is terrific. I have been happier here than I have been with any of the many schools we have paid for (both in NYC and preschools out here.) The teacher really knew my kid--how she learned, what her strengths were, how to reach her. I was amazed at their level of understanding.

Posted July 04, 2009
To the posting made by a parent dated (August 14, 2008), I totally disagree with them. I moved to this district 24 years ago to give my kids a better education. Both of my children went through Murray, Hommocks and Mama. H. S. They were both nurtured by wonderful teachers and very loving aides that got out of their way to see that they were happy in and out of class. One thing we both agree is that the aides are underpaid especially with the kind of work that they do. I highly recommend this school to any family that is looking for a nurturing, academic school for their child. To the posting Sept. 19, 2006 I would not pay too much attention. As I said this is an excellent school with a very dedicated teaching staff. The disciplinary issues are addressed and the school psychologist and speech patologist are excellent.

Murray Avenue School 3

Posted November 12, 2008

Murray Avenue School
250 Murray Avenue, Larchmont, NY  10538
Last modified Murray Avenue School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Murray Avenue School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top