Laurens, NY

Laurens Central School 5

Posted September 10, 2011
My child went to Laurens from K-12. We felt the smaller school district lent itself to more attention for the individual student and also to a closer knit school community. There was never a problem with bullying. We also found that our child's classmates, as well as the teachers were tolerant of any racial and/or religious differences that came up. The music department is THE BEST in the area - far superior to even the bigger Oneonta City Schools. When difficulties arose in our child's senior year Mrs. Wenck and our child's teachers work with up to ensure that our child graduated on time with the class. By the time our child was ready to attend school we made sure we were in this district as we felt it had so much to offer. We are not sorry. Also we were all encouraged to be involved as parents. We never missed a shool event. Considering that Laurens is one of the poorest school district in the area the fact that all but 1 of the kids that graduated with our child went on to college and that over 3/4's of the class had scholarships says a lot. I would recommend this school district to all. ;-}

Posted October 13, 2010
Its a K-12 school in a very rurual area which has been, hard hit by these economic times.

Laurens Central School 1

Posted November 29, 2009
My child has attended this school for 8 years now and I found to be very disappointed in this school. For one why is NY paying a superintendent and a principal for such a small school? I find that the school expects way to much from the kids and tend to send all work home to do. Kids are on the average bringing home 3 to 6 hours of homework every night, and this is just from grades 4 to 7. I have to ask what are the teachers teaching? A lot of this work should be done in school. Parents do not have the time to work their one or two jobs and then come home and have to teach their kids how to do their homework that is what the teachers get paid to do.

Laurens Central School 3

Posted December 15, 2008
As a parent new to the school life (K), I struggled with enrolling my child in a school that had k-12 and was in such an impoverished area. Finances finally won out and my child attends Laurens. I have found that the response to an involved family that is a bit out of the ordinary is great. We didn't have unrealistic expectations, but have been pleasantly surprised by the teacher response, the school activities and the involvement for this grade level. My only complaint is, what seems to be, a total lack of concern for the working families. There are very limited opportunties for parents to be involved if you can't get off work during the day. The school also doesn't give working parents sufficient time to request time off for special days for their child. We had one day notice that our child was going to be in the 'spotlight'.

Laurens Central School 4

Posted March 17, 2008
My kids moved here from a nearby school district and I was surprised at how much more a small school can offer! The art projects are great! And the classes are so small!

Laurens Central School 3

Posted November 06, 2007
I'm both pleased and disappointed by this school I'm not pleased by the fact that the younger classes are squeezed into tiny rooms.. this makes for situations where classroom management and control become a problem. This leads to more issues in the class that it would be if the children were in smaller class sizes. I am pleased that the administration and the teachers seem very responsive, and I appreciate that there is a concerned community, and that the school is remodeling to improve conditions at the school.

Laurens Central School 5

Posted November 02, 2007
Laurens school is like a stick of dynomite--small but packs a big punch!! It offers what it can for being a small school! We may not have the bells and whistles like others schools but as the saying goes-' don't judge a book by its cover!' What comes out of that school is honors, self-confidence and pride!! We have a great sports,music and colorguard curriculum as well as graduates with high honors! and in my oponion as far as the discipline issue --it should start from home!! and not depend on the system to raise your child -your responsibilty!! for a small school --it rocks!! ( as the kids would say)

Posted June 08, 2007
I will be entering Laurens Central School as a senior this coming school year. I would not want to be graduating from any other school. Laurens is a great community and a great little school!

Laurens Central School 1

Posted March 13, 2007
As a parent of 2 teenage children, I am completely disappointed with this school. My older son had problems and was not helped until he was put into a BOCES program (at my insistence). THEY were the ones who got him interested in school again. Now my younger one is having incentive problems with 8th grade and the teachers seem content to letting it go and notifying me by school scheduled updates that he is failing. The quality of school reflects the quality of life in Laurens...going downhill rapidly and no one seems to care as long as they are not bothered. But, if you are an alumni's child or great in sports, you will get the best of everything! So outsiders and low income beware...this is a very 2 faced school district... especially the administration!

Laurens Central School 4

Posted July 29, 2005
Laurens offers a variety of programs to encourage children from a very young age through high school to participate in some type of program. We have award winning music and colorguard programs. There is a wonderful morning program for the youngest children that encourages not only parental involvement but also community involvement. The academic programs are limited by size and budget, however, the school and community are creative and offer some non-traditional options; and the students excell in their academics. This is a small rural school within a close-knit community.

55 Main Street, Laurens, NY  13796
(607) 432-2050
Last modified Laurens Central School is a Public school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Laurens Central School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top