Long Island City High School 1

Posted September 12, 2014
My daughter is a freshman at this school. Last night, she complained to me that there were two boys in her history class who were not even LICH students. Apparently many of the freshman students have not received photo ID's yet. I called the school and told the head of security about this problem and she hung up on me. It's only September and I might have to start thinking about moving to my daughter to another school if this is how LICH's administration treats the parents of its students.

Posted March 18, 2014
Great and many opportunities can be made in this school there are so many extra curricular activities everyday and the faculty and staff are always at the top of their game.

Long Island City High School 5

Posted September 10, 2013
I went to Long Island City High School when it was in the old building. It was and still a great school. I am very happy to see that it is still fully operational as an educational beacon. LongIsland High School is vital and essential to Queens and for the educational institutions OF the City of New York. It is diverse thus it should remain open. I suggest that the New York City Department of Education incorporate American Sign Language as a course to be taught exclusively at Long Island City High School to students who are not deaf.

Long Island City High School 3

Posted September 07, 2012
LIC HS has been in turmoil during the last 3 years, due to a drop in the graduation rate to a small percentage below the NYC standards. This is not caused by the lack of the teachers' knowledge and abilities, as the mayor has suggested, but rather by the changing student population, and the scramble to create new procedures to keep up with the incoming students' needs. LIC is not failing because the teachers and students have given up. The constant changes in the administration and new DOE policies have taken the spirit out of the school, the parents, the teachers, the administrators, the students, and the neighborhood. The graduation rate drop is due to the challenges of preparing the English Language Learners and Special Services Students to pass NY state required tests needed to fulfill NYS graduation requirements. Everyone in LIC is working harder than ever, and no one should be blamed for failing to meet an almost impossible task. Morale is down, and the DOE is fixing this by requiring more teacher observations, taking away teacher preparation time to hold more meetings to discuss the student problem, and adding more layers of checks and balances. What???????

Posted April 26, 2012
My daughter entered this school specifically for its Culinary Program, but discovered that although its Culinary Program is amazing, there is so much more to commend it. The majority of her teachers were dedicated and fair professionals who encouraged her to experience all the school has to offer. And she did. Along with being a member of the National Honor Society, she was a member of the Robotics Team, the Law/Debate Team, the Handball Team, the Lacrosse Team, and the Bowling Team. She became Captain of the Bowling Team and won the trophy for Best Female H.S. bowler in Queens. She was scouted for scholarships from colleges with bowling teams. But turned them down b/c she got a full scholarship to Culinary Institute of America. Educating a child is a partnership and with the help of the teachers, staff and opportunities available at L.I.C. H.S., we did a fine job. This is an excellent school!

Posted April 19, 2011
The Special Education program is better than at some of the states private charter schools.

Long Island City High School 5

Posted November 11, 2010
This school is great so far! I am a freshman at LICHS and I have to say it is more than I expected it to be. I expected it to be bad and dull but it is the complete opposite! This school has great teachers and as well as students. Everyone is great and you'll blend right in! The academics here are great I am in all honors and their really giving me and education. It all depends on the student cause their the one that make the choices!

Posted June 08, 2010
As a senior in lic high school now going to college, I'd have to say this school did a good job to make me get to the level I am at now. Any others that say otherwise shouldn't blame the teachers and school for themselves for not striving to do good. Unlike other high school's you can leave from any door of the school at any time; whether you have classes or not. This leads kids to cut and in turn brings them down. Teachers and guidance are top notch, some of which you will never forget. Facilities are also great although the use of them in lic high school need some work. I went to this school because it was convenient and because I was told that the teachers were very good. I see now that was true.

Posted April 08, 2010
its ok right now but skool lunches need to be a bit better and they need to put more time in between periods so the students that want to learn can get to get there classes on time and i speak on behalf of all my classmates

Long Island City High School 1

Posted February 24, 2010
this school is terrible. terrible teachers and terrible education. they don't prepare you the way they should for universities.

Long Island City High School
14-30 Broadway, Long Island City, NY  11106
Last modified Long Island City High School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Long Island City High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 63 reviews. Top