PK-12|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Welcome to Evangel Christian School. We are a Christ-Centered, Multi-Cultural, Learning Community. Our staff and student population represent over 45 countries. Evangel is chartered and registered by the Board of Regents of the State of New York. We provide a loving, safe, learning environment in the heart of the New York City. Let me fill you in on some of the many wonderful things that are happening at Evangel *Activities and Programs for Gifted Students: *ACSI Contests: Math Olympics, Spelling Bee, Creative Writing, Speech Meet, and Art Contest *National Honor Society for Elementary, Middle and High School *Elementary School: Dance, Art, Drama, Chorus Music, Computer, Hands-on Science Experiments, Hands-on Math Curriculum *MS/HS: Dance, Art, Worship Band, Home Ec., Photography, Newspaper, Self Defense, Painting, Drawing, Art etc. *High School: Evangel offers up to 23 College Credits, taught at Evangel, through the College Now Program at Nyack College. Students receive a College Transcript from Nyack College. *Longevity of teachers: Evangel employs 40+ teachers and 10 teacher's assistants. Last school year, 2007-2008, we only hired 3 new teachers out of 43. At least 1/4 of our teachers have been at Evangel 10 years or more. *Consistency and Learning: Our Elementary and Middle School students combined - consistently perform above average on the Stanford Achievement Tests given each Spring. This is a test that compares our students to students around the nation. In the 2007-2008 school year, 100% of our High School Graduates received a Regents Diploma and all of our seniors are accepted to Institutes of Higher Learning. *Sports: We belong to the PSAA Sports League and offer volleyball, basketball and track to our students. *Students with Special Needs: For those students with or without IEP s we offer Resource Room assistance, a Reading Lab, Search-n-Teach and our Discovery Program. *We are approved by Immigrations and Customs Enforcement to issue I-20 s to International Students. *Parents and Students, of all grades, are able to access their grades, and quiz/test and HW scores online using Ed-line. *Evangel is a unique, Christ-centered school, and we count it a privilege to be able to serve our community, parents and students. *We welcome you to visit our website at www.evangelchristianschool.org and we would love to have you come and give you a tour of our school and show you the many exciting things that are happening at Evangel.
April 18, 2009

Bad
Good

I am a parent and I have both of my children in this school. I have one in Prek and one in Kindergarten. This is their second school year at the school. My first year experience has been very rewarding. Girls participated in everything from Christmas shows to Science fair. Even from prek children are taught its just not playing all day. They actually learn. As for me it was and will always be important for my children to have a strong faith in God. So this is one of the reasons I selected this school and thus far it has not failed me. My children have learned plenty and speak freely open their faith. It is just awesome. Teachers were great last year Prek teachers are awesome especially prek-4 she is the best!! This year my oldest is in kindergarten and she loves her teacher. My little one is with the best prek4 teacher so she is learning well. I am looking forward to a new rewarding school year.

I am a grandparent i have two grand-children at evangel christian school for several years, my experience has been wonderful,teacher,s and staff are very kind and loving, they are learning the bible, reading and math skills have improve 100%. I thank god for this school for there christian education and for other aspects of education. And i must add is very safe! amen

My children have been at ECS 7 years or so. If you want a school where everyone will know your child by name. A place where your child will be respected and cared about. A place where as a parent you are acknowledged and heard. You should check out ECS -- that is what I have experienced there.

Evangel Christian School has been a bright light here in Long Island City for almost 30 years. Kids travel from all over the 5 boroughs to attend this dynamic school. A safe place where students can build life long friendships - with both fellow students and their teachers. Thousands have come through our doors over the years and I have seen many changed lives. I have seen parents cry tears of gratitude for the help they have received for their children. I have seen our wonderful staff cry with both the students and their parents, and walk with them through life's most difficult circumstances. The staff is awesome - concerned not only about their education, but also about the emotional and spiritual well being of each student. In most schools you will find students running to get out of the building at the end of the school day; but here at Evangel they don't want to leave - you almost have to throw them out! Quite a few have come back after college and were employed as teachers here at Evangel. And you will never find favoritism here - each student is unique and special - and each celebrated for who they are and encouraged to find God's awesome purpose for their lives!

This school caused us a lot of stress. They have a lot of problems with communication and the teachers are not friendly. My son is 4 years old. He was born on January 2009 and was supposed to go to Pre K-3, but they put him in Pre K-4. Two weeks before the graduation, we received the invitation. A few days later, the teacher told us that he was not going to graduate. I went to the office & they said they were going to investigate it and call me. Nobody called me or told me anything until the day before the graduation, when I went to the office and complained. At 10AM, I got a phone call from administration saying that Mrs. Marco said that he was going to graduate. The same day at 3PM, I got a card from the asst. teacher saying that she loves my son and she was feeling so bad because he was NOT graduating. We were so exhausted and confused that we ended up not going to the graduation. They made a lot of mistakes including NOT putting a picture of my son in the yearbook!!! When we asked why he wasn t in the yearbook, they said they forgot. The principal never even called me or emailed me. They never apologized for all the trouble. We would never recommend this school for anybody.

I'm a parent who had both my daughters attend Evangel Christian School from Kindergarten to High School. They've both graduated from Evangel High - my youngest in 2009. It was a sacrifice for us but it was well worth it! The teachers and administrative staff were caring and my daughters had some great relationships with teachers over the years. I could go to work in peace knowing that they were in a caring, supportive, safe environment where they knew them by face and name. It was important to me that the girls go to a school that cared about academic excellence as well as the spiritual component of their lives. My girls developed their artisitc gifts at Evangel also. Moreover, I wanted a school that reinforced my Christian values at home and at church and I got it. Seriously, this is faith based learning at it's best!

They have shown alot of love and compassion to my son and he has been there since kindergarten through 12th grade

The teachers really care about each student and are also the type of role model I like my child seeing. Great standards.

This is an EXCELLENT school. The teachers are all very helpful. The curriculum has its serious points and its fun times. Its a very well rounded place to be and very safe.

What has kept me working at Evangel for the last 24 years is that I know that God has a calling upon my life to minister at this school. This is where I have also grown not only in my profession but also spiritually as well as emotionally. God has proven his faithfulness over and over again through out these past 24 years. Both of my children attended Evangel and also attended private high school. They both graduated from college without having to take out a single loan. My son, completed his BA in 2001 and my daughter completed her Associates degree from a local Junior college in 2003. Another aspect that I appreciate about working at Evangel is that not only has Evangel been a safe haven for our children, but it s also a safe place for the staff as well. It s wonderful working in a place where everyone cares for one another, especially the administrators who are also sensitive to your personal needs. Our last staff development work day 4/20, exhibit this. We were partnered to assist each other to retouch the bulletin boards and classrooms. Even though it was a long day,(8-5 PM), we all worked tirelessly to get the task done without complaining. I m unsure if this is possible elsewhere.

Last modified Evangel Christian School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12