Manhasset, NY
Students enrolled: 1,019

Manhasset Secondary School 1

Posted February 14, 2014
After attending MHS myself I know they juke stats to accomplish a few goals. To gain illegitimate college admissions, pass unnecessarily high budgets, and acquire state funding by any means necessary even at the cost of providing a quality education. In most districts there is one Valedictorian, BUT NOT MANHASSET at least 3 people get it each year(usually more than 3). This is so numerous people can claim the award, while keeping parents happy and willing to vote for the budget. Also at most schools you can acquire a GPA over 100 or 4.0 on their respective scales. However Manhasset intentionally caps GPA s at 4.0 so that they will create numerous Valedictorian s to appear more esteemed and gain fraudulent admissions to colleges. In reality this degrades the prestige of the award significantly. MHS has many students take the ACT to weed out lower SAT scores. Finally almost half the school does not live in the district. Also a problem with narcotics.

Manhasset Secondary School 4

Posted September 04, 2012
I don't even know where to begin. Teachers- a select few teachers are phenomenal while others deserve to be fired immediately. A good majority do nothing and just collect money. Others go above and beyond for students which is great. After-school activities- sports are everything. If you aren't playing one, expect to be lonely and picked on for all of middle and high school. Facilities- at least the school is quite nice looking. It was built in the late 1900's during as a Works Projects Adminstration and was tastefully decorated with eccentric moldings and tile details. Unlike earlier reviews, THE SCHOOL IS NOT FALLING APART. It was fixed recently. Overall- unless you or your kid aspires to be a lacrosse player, or a home designer looking for inspiration, STAY AWAY. SERIOUSLY.

Posted November 01, 2011
I was shocked at some of the reviews I read regarding Manhasset schools. I attended the public schools in Manhasset from a young age, graduated, went to an Ivy League school and then a superb law school. I moved back to Manhasset so my children can obtain the same great education I did. One of my children is special needs and is thriving at Manhasset due to the superlative teachers and administration. The facilities are not falling apart. They are old, solid and well-built. Classic and well-maintained. The school is a safe place and vibrant place to learn.

Posted July 21, 2011
I attended Manhasset for my 9th grade and half of 10th grade years. Though the teachers and staff were phenomenal, and helped me leave, the environment in this school created by the kids was very exclusive. You were either in a group or out of it - and if you weren't able to be classified, you were bullied and picked on. I was bullied so badly that I had to leave the school in the middle of my sophomore year.

Posted September 01, 2010
The revews prior to 2009 are not relevant. There is a new superintendant and principal and both are superb. I was not happy with the schools and had my children in private school but have brought them back and the schools are extraordinary. Manhasset gives you the choices of a 2000 student school, but because there are only 220 students per grade, those choices are available to everyone. Great math, science, programs that include individual research. Amazing music, art and theatre. Every AP imaginable. The class is getting into great colleges; Yale. Stanford, Princeton, Williams and Amherst all offered multiple acceptances. School has lots of money and it is being administered very well for the students and education. Hard to beat..

Posted February 26, 2010
BEST SCHOOL EVER. I Love Manhasset. Great Teachers And Great Classes. Its Really Old School. Though Thats What Makes This School Great. Its Vintage. Students Are Cool And Are Very Welcoming. No One Is Ever Left Out. But We Are A Big 'Familia'. Everyone Has The Same Types Of Personality And Favorites. If Anyone Doesn't Fit The 'Manhasset Personality', We Would Love To Add. Teachers Are Really Cool And Are Amazing With Teaching Kids. Our Scores Are Sky High. No One Goes To A 'Bad' School And We All Have Great Future When We Say We Went To Manhasset High. Our Classes Are Really Fun And Educational. We Literally Have Everything From Drama To AP Forensics. Students Are Super Smart. We Are Amazing, Our School Is Amazing. Don't Listen To The Rumors, They Aren't True. GO TO OUR SCHOOL!

Manhasset Secondary School

Posted November 03, 2009
It has excellent academics, with memorable teachers who teach with passion. And it gives students wonderful background in the arts-- a first-rate theater program, music programs that include choral, composition and even jazz, and an outstanding drawing and painting program as well. Kids thrive here!

Manhasset Secondary School 4

Posted June 04, 2008
Great renovated facilities, superb academics for self-motivated, bright kids, also outstanding art, music and drama programs. New principal taking better approach to discipline and education of the middle-track student.

Posted May 28, 2008
It is great if your child is Talented and Gifted but otherwise children skate right through and no one bothers to steer the 'average' kide to become better or even great students. Your child can manage great grades if you can spare the $ for a tutor. As in all schools some of the teachers are great, committed and energetic, others are glad to work a part time job with higher than national average pay and benefits--plus once tenure is theirs, they most often do not lift an extra finger to hlep a child. Recently one of my children missed a class due to illness, then made arrangements to make up the work during lunch time, but instead the teacher went to a 'lovely luncheon'. The school definitley makes it difficult for working parents to be involved...

Posted September 02, 2006
This school has shocked me! With all the talk about how great it is, it seems the teachers aren't putting the childrens knowledge first. The technology is old and the school is not diverse enough which adds to favoritism. My child dislikes going to school everyday and is going to be a junior.

Manhasset Secondary School
200 Memorial Place, Manhasset, NY  11030
Last modified Manhasset Secondary School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Manhasset Secondary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top