Menands, NY

Posted June 30, 2012
We spent two great years at Menands--and couldn't have had a better experience. My sons had a great experience--learned lots and had so many caring instructors. My youngest son was in Kindergarten with Mrs. Keppler and 1st grade with Mrs. Putnam. Every kid in his Kindergarten class was reading on level by the end of the year. In 1st grade, he blossomed and finished reading chapter books like "The Magic Treehouse". Math for Kindy and First was Saxon--which I found (although repetitive), very thorough. He's finishing knowing his facts down cold and has a great grasp of basic math. My elder son had Mrs. Marinstein for first grade and Mrs. Trainor for second. Two wonderful teachers. He entered advanced in both reading and math, and they both customized work for him and a few other kids to keep them engaged. Can't say enough good about the art, music, Spanish, and health/PE programs as well. They had two wonderful concerts and a great art show each year. My kids were always coming home telling me what Mr. Collins told them in health. Great Field Day and bike safety week too. Really sad to be leaving, can't recommend this school enough. Really fabulous small school!

Posted November 04, 2011
I found this as the best school for my kids since we move in to NY from Texas, the multicultural enviroment and the bilingual classes once a week fit perfectly for our hispanic family. Love the neighborhood and all the village facilities as well.

Posted June 12, 2011
This is a great school. The Principal, Superintendent and the entire crew is very friendly and dedicated. Parents involvement is fantastic. My daughter loved going to school here but unfortunately we had to move out the state.

Menands School

Posted September 16, 2009
Small school where all the children are known by every staff member. Excellent teachers.

Posted October 01, 2008
As the Menands School is small and located in a small village, outsiders might assume it has a small-town mentality and homogenized environment. However, students get both big-city and small-town benefits with multicultural exposure and personal attention from staff and faculty). My multi-ethnic kids fit in perfectly here!

Posted January 08, 2008
Great school, great people. Small population with multi cultural environment makes it great for kids to grow and be open to the world!

Posted March 08, 2007
I truly believe that the Administrators, Staff and Board of Education care about the Health and Welfare of ALL the children at Menands. Parents need to be more involved in their childrens education so that they can see this is truly the case at Menands.

Posted March 06, 2007
I do not know where to begin about this school..let me put it this way I traveled for two hours every Friday to get my daughter because I did not want to pull her out of the school so I left her there with my mother. The school is excellent. My daughter is in 1st grade now and she transferred out in December. We moved to NJ and its hard to find a school to compare with Menands. Its a family atmosphere there even in the community. I miss it so much. Mrs. Kostik Is the best. Best thing about this school besides the curriculum is the diversity. My daughter had a friend in every ethnicity and from various countries something I never had growing up. If I move back upstate Menands is where I'll be setting my roots. We miss you Menands Elementary. Keep Up the awesome Work! Blessings!

Posted December 05, 2006
My three daughter have gone through Menands school, two are now in college. If it were not for the great teachers and sound foundation they received at Menands they would not have succeeded so well! Although there have been issues with the top level of administration, which have stemmed from the board of education, the faculty and Ms Kostic have managed to continue to provide exceptional teaching in spite of these adversities. We as a community have to take some responsibility in the issues that effect our school, after all we appoint those that represent us!Teaching is no long reading and math, it is social work, compassion, understanding, and tolerance.We need to take responsibility for the types of children we are raising, teaching is difficult.Menands is a wonderful community and we are fortunate to have so many exceptional people that want to teach our children.Give thanks to our teachers!

Menands School 1

Posted September 19, 2006
Horrible school. Sell your house and move

Menands School
19 Wards Lane, Menands, NY  12204
Last modified Menands School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Menands School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top