No rating

Progressive School of Long Island

Private | K-8 | 118 students

Our school is best known for individualized academics, service, and yoga.

Living in Merrick

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $435,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,790.

Posted July 29, 2014

PSOLI is the best private school on Long Island!! My son started there in first grade after the teachers in his public kindergarten told me he had problems focusing and that he was misbehaving. When I made the decision to move him to PSOLI he thrived. Working with the Principal and the Wonderful teachers there we together came to the decision, that he needed more challenging work. Before PSOLI my son felt like he was the "BAD" child ( from the teachers). Now he is going into 4th grade and he feels empowered, respected and very proud of himself, (these are his words.) I cant say enough about the Principal, the teachers and the entire PSOLI family!!! My son would have been lost in a system that did not take the time to see him for the child that he is. At PSOLI they are nurturing, empowering, committed and always want what is BEST for your child!! My son will study there until 8th grade with the hopes that they have a high school by the time he reaches 9th grade. Thank You PSOLI for all that you do!!!

Posted July 13, 2014

I cannot say enough about this school. If you are looking for a school welcomes your child as family and only wants what is in your son or daughters best interest, this is it. From teachers to staff to fellow students there is a warmth and character that pervades. My children miss their school each summer and look forward to seeing their school family each year. We are very happy here.

Posted May 18, 2014

I am writing to thank you for welcoming my son into your family at Progressive School. He came to Progressive School in 7th grade without knowing any of the students or teachers. Everyone welcomed him. The teachers at Progressive are superb. They are very knowledgeable and approachable. They engage the students while challenging them. The teachers help the students to grow and become independent thinkers. Creativity is always encouraged at Progressive as well. Creativity is incorporated into the curriculum in the main subject areas as well as all the specials. The children are exposed to art, music and drama. This year my son particularly loved the computer class as he has a passion for computer science. Progressive School is such a great community because it is centered in service. The students take an active role in deciding how to serve the community. The entire faculty and administration models and teaches the importance of service. I cannot thank you enough for allowing him to be part of your family for these past two years. He will graduate Progressive being extremely prepared and ready for high school.

Posted February 9, 2014

This school to say it simply is amazing. My daughter started in Progressive at the start of 4th grade. Her teachers have been awesome. My daughter loves school. She is challenged, nurtured and excited about learning daily. Her self confidence has soared since first entering this fabulous school. As a fourth grader writing well constructed essays, learning to research on her own, public speaking, performing in plays and school wide talent show, awesome science experiments, learning spanish and making some fabulous new friends were highlights of her year. This year in 5th grade it seems to just grow and grow. She is no longer feeling bored or stressed in school. As an educator myself I understand what is needed to create an environment that promotes academic growth to reach their highest potential, a love for learning and personal growth. This school definitely has it. My daughter is lucky to be attending such a special school, and she knows it! I would highly recommend checking this school out and seeing first hand what an incredible place it really is.

Posted January 18, 2014

I moved my daughter to PSOLI in Nov 2012 with some reservations, based on the appearance of the school and the "extras" that I thought she would miss. She walked in to class the first without even looking back and flourished throughout the year. The teachers differentiate the work so that the needs of all the children are met; this was a concern for me since my daughter is an accelerated learner. PSOLI has such a warm and nurturing environment; Eric is 100% visible and accessible; the teachers are very supportive and caring. On the last day of school my daughter cried because she was going to miss going to school over the summer! It is different, but that is part of what makes it special. Since it is smaller, you have a chance to get to know the families you child is interacting with everyday. I could go on and on....This school is just what my daughter needed!

Posted November 5, 2013

PLEASE parents do your homework BEFORE sending your children to PSOLI. My child started here in Sept 2012 and completed one year. I felt as though I failed my child as a parent for making the decision to send him to PSOLI which is why I am writing this review. Take a close look at the classrooms (note cleanliness, size, organization) ask to see the Spanish room (a literal closet) and the art room (even smaller). Not only is the school in shambles but the teachers are over worked (both of my child's teachers had 2nd full time jobs after school). Discipline is negative reinforcement (not positive). My child's teachers were extremely unorganized (lost papers, grades, supplies, projects) and do not have any background in progressive teaching. The school is EXTREMELY bias in favor of families of students who have attended for many years or are involved with the meditative practices classes the principal is involved with. I had the highest of hopes when I pulled my son out of public school to attend PSOLI. There is not enough room here to express how heart breaking it was to see the damage done to my child's creativity, confidence and character from attending this school.

Posted October 21, 2013

The school provides a very nurturing environment to the children. The instruction is creative and meaningful as well as fun. It is a very enriched curriculum. My daughter loves to go to school! The staff genuinely cares for the students. Each child is challenged and given work on their level.

Posted October 21, 2013

We love Progressive School for a variety of reasons: 1) The teachers are incredibly caring. 2) We have an extrememly high level of involvement as parents 3) The children are like minded individuals and encourage each other It's a great enviroment and we love it!

Posted March 8, 2013

My daughter has gone to Progressive for two years and I could not be happier with all she has received from this school. Not only are the academics top notch, but the teachers really care about their students. There is a sense of warmth and community found in this school that you feel from the moment you walk in the door. I have two older children who went through the public school system and I definitely see the difference. The teachers and principal are 100% accessible 100% of the time. Subjects are taught by keeping the kids "hands on" and engaged in learning...they learn by doing, (and not doing worksheets). I only wish I had found this school sooner so all my children could have benefitted from this wonderful school.

Posted January 17, 2013

My son is now in 5th grade. Sending him to Progressive was the best choice I could have ever made for his education! Not only is he an avid reader who loves to learn and is excited about school every single day, he has told me he wishes he didn't have to graduate in 8th grade and move on. However, the achievements of the students who have graduated and gone on to public and private schools is amazing! These children and young adults are given not only an incredible education but have been able to develop such qualities as confidence, commitment, a sense of self, and just being the best person they can be. The teachers and staff are really wonderful. Check out their website for concrete examples of what I mentioned above.

Posted October 27, 2012

Our daughter is currently in the second grade. We joined the Progressive School last year after a very difficult decision to change schools. Our daughter loves coming to school and is very inspired by her teacher, her projects, and her new friends. When we ask her "how was school today?" she always says, "great!" A child who loves school and wants to learn, what more can a parent want? Making a decision to change schools was agonizing for us. We couldn't be happier with the results.

Posted October 22, 2012

My two children started with the Progressive School Fall of 2011. In that time my husband and I have watched them grow and develop in ways we never even imagined. Eric, the faculty and staff at Progressive have created and nurtured a love of learning and community in my children that can only be described as magical. This year, at the end of our summer vacation, I mentioned in passing that it would only be a few short days until school started again. The response from my children was a joyful cheer. They could not wait to get back to their Progressive School family. While my friends were cajoling their children to have a positive attitude towards their return to school, my children were discussing all the events and lessons they knew would be planned for the year. My husband and I knew then we had made the right decision for the children's education. Developing the whole individual and assisting the child to find their most authentic self, these are the goals we hoped The Progressive School would help our children achieve. And so far, they are doing an amazing job. I highly recommend The Progressive School of Long Island.

Posted July 28, 2012

This is without a doubt the best private school on Long Island when it comes to the attitudes and accomplishments one hopes for for one;s children. My three children graduated here and we count it as one of the great blessings of our life that we were able to find such a brilliant and nurturing environment.

Posted July 23, 2012

It has been a year since our daughter started in 5th grade in PSOLI. What this year brought to her: 1. Confidence. The whole school community is concerned and engaged with real world problems. Kid's interest in these problems and possible solutions are taken seriously and put into life. This brings children sense of self worth. 2. High respect and tolerance for people's differences and cultures (and appreciation of her own culture). This seems absolutely natural in this community. No one is teased for unusual interests or unique way of thinking (being unusual is a norm there). 3. Enjoyment of learning at school. And challenge. Other special things this school has: A lot of independent work and projects with personal responsibility. Projects are often from real life. Good amount of time for self reflection - quiet time, built in unstructured blocks of time. Very flexible academically - easy acceleration on subjects, if needed. We came to PSOLI a year ago for challenge and some meaning in learning. What we got is much more than we could expect from any school.

Posted June 19, 2011

PSOLI, may not have some of the "things" that other schools have, BUT THINGS ARE NOT WHAT MAKE US HAPPY. Great social experiences, hands on teaching methods, social awareness, diversity, caring staff, morality and zest for life are the recipe for true happiness and sucess. Sucess is not what you have but what you have to give!

Posted March 22, 2010

I began teaching at PSOLI before my son was in Kindergarten. Once I saw what happens with the children in the school, I knew my son had to attend. What I saw was something I thought I could never find in a school; love, a nurturing environment that provides hands-on learning, an appreciation for life, beauty and respect for alll things, the list goes on... My son is now in 2nd grade and I could not be happier with the meaningful education he is receiving. I am proud to say that PSOLI has helped me mold him into a wonderful young person. As a teacher at Progressive and a parent, I can honestly say that I know the foundation being built for my son is a strong one, full of morals and values. I couldn't envision anything else more deserving for my little one.

Posted March 18, 2010

A friendly, caring environment. Teachers put the kids first, and the learning happens naturally when children are taken care of, engaged, and happy. This is a great place for children who need something more personal and engaging than a public education.

Posted February 28, 2010

No words can describe how wonderful PSOLI is. The teachers are attentive and kind, the environment is a wonderful place for any child to grow and progress in. The community of the whole school, including the parents is open and friendly. It's focus on social awareness, care for the community and self growth, etc. helps a child become a well-rounded individual. I know this because my child attends there, and got more than what I expected. If you are looking for a different and wonderful school, you must look into PSOLI.

Posted August 10, 2009

My daughter has attended this school since she was 4 years of age. She is now nine years old and is doing sixth grade mathematics. While this school may not be perfect I must say that the director tries very hard to balance strong academics with an environment that is not too stressful for young learners. There is also a deep respect for mutli culturalism.

Posted July 9, 2009

Spectacular. Look for the qualities that count--gentle teachers who guide the kids, and who make them want to learn. Look for compassion and look for a school where the kids all want to go to school every morning. Look no further, PSOLI offers the qualities hardest to find in a second home for our kids.

Two or more races 7% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 5% N/A
Asian 3% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Gifted specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Math Counts champion (2009)
  • Math Counts champion (2010)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Nassau County Citation (2009)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

Arts & music

• Arts (all)
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Eric Jacobson
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Arts (all)
  • Mathematics
  • Service learning
  • Social justice
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Gifted specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Acceleration
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Media arts
  • Computer animation
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Arts and crafts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units