Posted July 29, 2014
PSOLI is the best private school on Long Island!! My son started there in first grade after the teachers in his public kindergarten told me he had problems focusing and that he was misbehaving. When I made the decision to move him to PSOLI he thrived. Working with the Principal and the Wonderful teachers there we together came to the decision, that he needed more challenging work. Before PSOLI my son felt like he was the "BAD" child ( from the teachers). Now he is going into 4th grade and he feels empowered, respected and very proud of himself, (these are his words.) I cant say enough about the Principal, the teachers and the entire PSOLI family!!! My son would have been lost in a system that did not take the time to see him for the child that he is. At PSOLI they are nurturing, empowering, committed and always want what is BEST for your child!! My son will study there until 8th grade with the hopes that they have a high school by the time he reaches 9th grade. Thank You PSOLI for all that you do!!!

Posted July 13, 2014
I cannot say enough about this school. If you are looking for a school welcomes your child as family and only wants what is in your son or daughters best interest, this is it. From teachers to staff to fellow students there is a warmth and character that pervades. My children miss their school each summer and look forward to seeing their school family each year. We are very happy here.

Posted May 18, 2014
I am writing to thank you for welcoming my son into your family at Progressive School. He came to Progressive School in 7th grade without knowing any of the students or teachers. Everyone welcomed him. The teachers at Progressive are superb. They are very knowledgeable and approachable. They engage the students while challenging them. The teachers help the students to grow and become independent thinkers. Creativity is always encouraged at Progressive as well. Creativity is incorporated into the curriculum in the main subject areas as well as all the specials. The children are exposed to art, music and drama. This year my son particularly loved the computer class as he has a passion for computer science. Progressive School is such a great community because it is centered in service. The students take an active role in deciding how to serve the community. The entire faculty and administration models and teaches the importance of service. I cannot thank you enough for allowing him to be part of your family for these past two years. He will graduate Progressive being extremely prepared and ready for high school.

Posted February 09, 2014
This school to say it simply is amazing. My daughter started in Progressive at the start of 4th grade. Her teachers have been awesome. My daughter loves school. She is challenged, nurtured and excited about learning daily. Her self confidence has soared since first entering this fabulous school. As a fourth grader writing well constructed essays, learning to research on her own, public speaking, performing in plays and school wide talent show, awesome science experiments, learning spanish and making some fabulous new friends were highlights of her year. This year in 5th grade it seems to just grow and grow. She is no longer feeling bored or stressed in school. As an educator myself I understand what is needed to create an environment that promotes academic growth to reach their highest potential, a love for learning and personal growth. This school definitely has it. My daughter is lucky to be attending such a special school, and she knows it! I would highly recommend checking this school out and seeing first hand what an incredible place it really is.

Progressive School of Long Island 4

Posted January 18, 2014
I moved my daughter to PSOLI in Nov 2012 with some reservations, based on the appearance of the school and the "extras" that I thought she would miss. She walked in to class the first without even looking back and flourished throughout the year. The teachers differentiate the work so that the needs of all the children are met; this was a concern for me since my daughter is an accelerated learner. PSOLI has such a warm and nurturing environment; Eric is 100% visible and accessible; the teachers are very supportive and caring. On the last day of school my daughter cried because she was going to miss going to school over the summer! It is different, but that is part of what makes it special. Since it is smaller, you have a chance to get to know the families you child is interacting with everyday. I could go on and on....This school is just what my daughter needed!

Progressive School of Long Island 1

Posted November 05, 2013
PLEASE parents do your homework BEFORE sending your children to PSOLI. My child started here in Sept 2012 and completed one year. I felt as though I failed my child as a parent for making the decision to send him to PSOLI which is why I am writing this review. Take a close look at the classrooms (note cleanliness, size, organization) ask to see the Spanish room (a literal closet) and the art room (even smaller). Not only is the school in shambles but the teachers are over worked (both of my child's teachers had 2nd full time jobs after school). Discipline is negative reinforcement (not positive). My child's teachers were extremely unorganized (lost papers, grades, supplies, projects) and do not have any background in progressive teaching. The school is EXTREMELY bias in favor of families of students who have attended for many years or are involved with the meditative practices classes the principal is involved with. I had the highest of hopes when I pulled my son out of public school to attend PSOLI. There is not enough room here to express how heart breaking it was to see the damage done to my child's creativity, confidence and character from attending this school.

Posted October 21, 2013
The school provides a very nurturing environment to the children. The instruction is creative and meaningful as well as fun. It is a very enriched curriculum. My daughter loves to go to school! The staff genuinely cares for the students. Each child is challenged and given work on their level.

Posted October 21, 2013
We love Progressive School for a variety of reasons: 1) The teachers are incredibly caring. 2) We have an extrememly high level of involvement as parents 3) The children are like minded individuals and encourage each other It's a great enviroment and we love it!

Posted March 08, 2013
My daughter has gone to Progressive for two years and I could not be happier with all she has received from this school. Not only are the academics top notch, but the teachers really care about their students. There is a sense of warmth and community found in this school that you feel from the moment you walk in the door. I have two older children who went through the public school system and I definitely see the difference. The teachers and principal are 100% accessible 100% of the time. Subjects are taught by keeping the kids "hands on" and engaged in learning...they learn by doing, (and not doing worksheets). I only wish I had found this school sooner so all my children could have benefitted from this wonderful school.

Posted January 17, 2013
My son is now in 5th grade. Sending him to Progressive was the best choice I could have ever made for his education! Not only is he an avid reader who loves to learn and is excited about school every single day, he has told me he wishes he didn't have to graduate in 8th grade and move on. However, the achievements of the students who have graduated and gone on to public and private schools is amazing! These children and young adults are given not only an incredible education but have been able to develop such qualities as confidence, commitment, a sense of self, and just being the best person they can be. The teachers and staff are really wonderful. Check out their website for concrete examples of what I mentioned above.

Progressive School of Long Island
1425 Merrick Ave, Merrick, NY  11566
Last modified Progressive School of Long Island is a Private school that serves grades K-8
Progressive School of Long Island Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top