Middle Island, NY
Students enrolled: 2,845

Posted October 15, 2014
I went through Longwood k-12, and it was honestly terrible. The security treats you like you're a criminal, the teachers think they are students, and you are simply wasting your time--with a few minor exceptions. If you can afford a private school, PLEASE bring your child there. This is a terrible school district and I would have given anything to go anyplace else.

Posted March 26, 2014
My daughter was in parochial school from K-8 because I did not want her in this school district.. I had to pull her out because Longwood made her bus stop 7 miles away. I had no choice but put her in this horrible school. She went down hill very fast. The atmosphere is negative and many of the teachers speak the same slang as the students. The school is overcrowded and the overall impression is ghetto. When you are surrounded by students and teachers that do not care, it is not going to affect you in a positive way. I have lived on Long Island for 48 yrs and Longwood has always had a horrible reputation. Sadly, my experience there has proved they have earned that awful reputation. My daughter has 15 months left there and it can't come fast enough. I am sorry she will not look back on her high school years fondly.

Posted March 23, 2014
I moved out of state to Longwood High School for my sophomore year and after 2 years of being at this school, I CANNOT stand it. The students are disrespectful, and the teachers are just as disrespectful back. I'm getting ready to start applying to colleges and my counselor has done nothing to help prepare me. The school wastes money on ridiculous amount of flat screens and not enough on basic school necessities. Fights are every other day, and if you're "different", the students will make you most certainly feel unwelcome and the staff won't do anything to help. Avoid enrolling into this school at all costs.

Posted April 11, 2013
This school is a joke, there is not one bit of leadership in this school , throughout my school career I was a high honors student who graduated and by my own intelligence and my own ability to search for outside knowledge I got accepted into NYU and who takes the credit for that , Longwood they have no right to take credit for this since at the time my parents spend thousands of dollars to have me educated in private learning centers after school because they felt my education was so subpar . Longwood school district doesn t just have a subpar education system they have an outright wrong education system, they should be examined by the state thoroughly to see if the school has any merit still being open

Posted November 13, 2012
My teen years went down the drain in this school. Never felt like the teachers cared, the people in class were misbehaved and made it extremely hard to concentrate if the teacher wasn't already yelling at them, and security guards and administrators were overbearing. You didn't really have a voice or any freedom at this school. It felt more like a jail than a learning experience. Counselors were also terrible. It was way overcrowded. Also there were too many fights and "bomb scares." I lost all motivation I had until college where I excelled. Absolutely hated this school.

Posted September 12, 2012
The district dosnt care about kids or parents they back their teachers up though. i dont have the money to move and it too late for my kids dont move to this district.

Posted June 06, 2012
Regarding the Jessica Barba scandal you created, SHAME on you administrators! You have a sensitive, empathetic, creative young lady with the ability to think outside the box, and you punish her for these attributes? You morons should be sued and then fired. Ms. Barba's project was socially responsible and impressive... you, however, are not. Janice McClellan

Longwood High School 5

Posted May 28, 2011
My children all went through the Longwood School School District, from Kindergarten through 12th Grade. They took AP classes, did fantastically, graduated with high honors and attended superb universities. I found the staff caring & the teachers excellent. THere are problems, but EVERY SCHOOL has its set of problems. Quite frankly, the biggest problem were with the kids whose parents didn't have a clue about parenting. If you foster a love of education early, your children will excel. IF you have bad parenting skills and have low expectations, you will get what you deserve. If you are a parent who couldn't care less about how your child does in school, they won't care either. I'm tired of teachers being blamed when students do poorly. It is the job of the parent to get their student to school, the job of the student to do what is expected of them, the job of the teacher to teach. If you are a parent who cares more about your own social life than the education of your child, don't expect great things from your child. Show your child you care, and then they'll care. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Posted March 24, 2011
I WORK IN LONGWOOD HIGH SCHOOL. I AM NOT A TEACHER. I CAN TELL YOU THIS SCHOOL IS WAY TOO CROWDED. WITH ALL THE HIGH TAXES WE PAY, YOU WOULD THINK THERE WOULD BE ANOTHER H.S. IN THE DISTRICT. TOO MANY OF THE KIDS FALL THROUGH THE CRACKS AND TOO MUCH FIGHTING BECAUSE OF THE OVER CROWDING. THEY NEED TO DO SOMETHING BADLY, BEFORE THE SCHOOL GETS WORSE. TEACHERS ARE NOT CARING AND THE KIDS ARE TOO WILD AND OUT OF CONTROL, NOT ENOUGH SECURITY. TRUST ME, I WORK THERE, THIS IS FIRST HAND INFORMATION!!

Longwood High School 5

Posted March 23, 2011
I have 2 daughters currently in the High School and a son coming into the High School in Sept. Each of my children are doing exceptional work. Honors or High Honors. They come home repeating things the teachers have discussed with them about whichever subject it is. Which means the teachers are speaking to the kids and the kids are listening and learning. I am amazed how much they are learning and holding on to. There is also extra help avail if you need it and take them up on it. Sure there are fights, but arent there fights in every school. My kids are doing well, no fights, no drugs, no drinking and they all seem to like and get along with their teachers. I dont remember my teachers speaking to us like we were young adults I remember my teachers just giving a lesson and then homework. Good Job Longwood!! Thanks

Longwood High School
100 Longwood Road, Middle Island, NY  11953
Last modified Longwood High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Longwood High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 50 reviews. Top