Middle Island, NY
Students enrolled: 1,320

Posted May 09, 2014
I spent some time here as a parent/visitor. I witnessed constant screaming at the students in an "open" environment that is obviously not working . I recall being a visitor here , and on of the ever so charming teachers told me I could not sit there because her "friend" sits there. Very unprofessional, horribly dressed staff. Check out the state test scores. They are horrifying.

Posted January 15, 2014
My son goes to this school and he says that the teachers are mean and he wants to transfer one time one of the teachers called the kids the b word and he said he never wants to go here ever again and he wants to go to Selden Middle School instead

Posted December 02, 2013
The school administration, Assistant Principals need refresher education courses in how to treat children. Overly raising your tone of your voice is inappropriate and is classified as an adult bullying a child. It is unacceptable behavior for an assistant principal to be rude and condescending.The school needs advocates for the children because clearly administration is only concerned with their own self interest. Poor judgement to use intimidation tactics on the young children is distasteful in the education field especially at the level of assistant principal. I attended this school as a child myself and I remember the assistant principals were a support system for the children now the system is only concerned about itself and not the children of today. Yelling at a student to a point you make them cry is an adult who is bullying them. Just because you had a bad day as assistant principal does not warrant a melt down which you take out on the children. This school is the worse school in the district. Something should be done about the administration. I always say if its not good at the top it wont be good at the bottom.

Posted August 21, 2013
I am a student and I just finished 6th grade my 2 years there were excellent I was on high honor roll all 4 quarters each year they have great rewards there is no detention except lunch detention don't let other people tell you because there r no walls it sucks u tune everything out only 1 time out of my 2 years I heard a teacher yell at a student from the other room in general it rocks

Longwood Middle School 4

Posted August 25, 2012
I am very happy with the education that my daughter received at Longwood Middle School. The House concept really encourages school sips diarist. they have a lot of programs and an active PTA, especially for such a large school. The staff is very caring and the administration is great. The classrooms are not as open as they used to be. LMS provides a great transition to junior high school. They do have a lot of programs for kids- many clubs, intramural sports and drama club after school, orchestra, band and chorus before school.

Posted June 12, 2012
This school is one of the worst I've encountered and I've had experience with a few different schools. The elementary schools are very good, however, past that point it is not a good district. The middle school is an open classroom concept that most children struggle with, so even very good students could be doing much better elsewhere. 250 kids in one room with only dividers for noise barriers is confusing and noisy. The district explains it away by saying that the kids tune it out, like watching TV, but don't believe it. There are so many children that if your child isn't one of the golden few, they will not have a shot at any special programs. They had like 125 openings for clubs and about 650 kids. Same problem exists for sports and drama. I must mention that the elementary special education chairperson is rude and condescending. There is nothing good that I can say except that I believe the teachers are trying their best under very adverse conditions. Stay away.

Posted April 04, 2011
MY child went to this school and he thought that this school was really good. During the years he was there he got honoral and high honoral for each Quarter. His teachers teached him everything he needed to know enetering the junior high school. I feel pleased with the friendly teachers and staff

Posted May 13, 2010

Posted March 26, 2010
I would suggest when your child is entering 5th grade, send them to private school for 2 years, or home shool. Not the greatest school. Most of the schools in Longwood are good, but this one is the worse.

Posted February 23, 2010
i really like this school and i think that it has safe rules. i feel like i can feel safe at my school. my teachers are really nice.i like my principals.I LOVE MY SCHOOL!!!!!

Longwood Middle School
41 Yaphank Middle Island Road, Middle Island, NY  11953
Last modified Longwood Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 5-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Longwood Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top