Ps 49 Dorothy Bonawit Kole

Public | K-8 | 1060 students

Posted April 22, 2010

P.S. 49 means the world to our family. This is what it comes to our minds when we think about the school: peace of mind, safety, creation and implementation of new approaches in education and in discipline, everyday commitment/dedication to help improve our children/parents and community's lives. My 2 daughters were attending this school. Now only 1 attends it, the 8 year-old one. She is 3rd grade and loves her school. My middle- schooler and 12 year-old daughter is in 7th grade. She did her 6 years of elementary in P.S. 49. To know that she was leaving the school was a great challenge for her to accept. I am very at eased now knowing that she has adjusted well to the middle school that she goes to and her performance is as excellent as when she was in P.S. 49. Whenever she has the opportunity; she visits it. P.S. 49 is an excellent school with a great principal, staff, teachers and students. A school which is always on the change, on the move!

Posted December 7, 2009

getting stronger and stronger! very happy to see how my son excels.

Posted November 25, 2009

Great principal, very involved. Match and reading programs are excellent.

Posted October 13, 2009

I recently put my daughter at this school and so far my daughter has shown me all that she has learned. Mr. Lombardi and his staff are excellent. The PTA members are on top of all things that have to do with our childrens' education. I am beyond happy with what I am seeing so far at PS/IS 49. Great job and I look forward to hearing and seeing new things at the school. My daughter loves Ms. Bruno (Kindergarten teacher) - great job Ms. Bruno.

Posted September 27, 2009

I go to IS49 and I started there this past January. My old school never helped me, I didn't understand anything they taught me. Eversince I started there I thought it would be exactly like it was before. But when I got my 1st report card back I 1st chacked my Math score, I got a 3 out of 4! I was so surprised because I knew I failed Math in my other school. Plus the extra activities I was in it boosted my confidence, I realized that I could do better than I did in the other school. Now that I am in 6th grade I will set higher goals and hopefuly acheive them.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 11, 2009

I like PS 49. At first I felt a little discouraged by the attitude of the teachers telling me that my child won't succeed, however, we have proved to them that anyone can succeed. I have a child in Special Education, and I was hoping that all the programs and all the information they provided me, would have gone through, my child would have done better. I do give them credit for trying hard and working hard with him. In regards to the principal, I have never met him nor had any interactions with him. But I believe that a true leader needs to be good to the people he leads and that includes teachers, administrators, and students.

Posted October 30, 2008

PS 49 is a great school! It is socially, economically and academically diverse. There are many programs in place to assist the struggling student such as 37.5 minutes, Learning Leaders and there are enrichment programs for the advanced student such as Advanced Math, architecture, art, chess, etc. There is also a 3rd, 4th and 5th grade band as well as an afterschool fitness program and Studio in the Schools art classes. The principal may not make everyone happy but I believe he does the very best he can for the children by getting the most 'bang for his buck' with his limited budget. The school has an open door policy for parents and you are never made to feel like you are not welcome by any of the professionals in the building.

Posted October 1, 2008

I love this school. My child is happy here. The principal is amazing.

Posted August 7, 2008

This school is not as great as they say. Only the needy kids are getting help. If your child is not one of them, he/she would have to be on his/her own.

Posted June 2, 2008

PS 49 is a great school in all aspects, excellent staff

Posted May 28, 2008

I have a child in 1st grade and one starting Kindergarden in 09/10. I think the school is a great school. My daughter loves Mr. Lombardi so much. He is very pleasant with ALL the children, he really cares about them and their education. That is all I care about. Whether is a political leader or rough on his staff or rough around the edges or not so firendly to some of the parents who cares. As long as your kids are going to his school and he treats them with respect and a kind heart and they feel safe and are excelling who cares. I give PS 49 an A+.

Posted December 7, 2007

i graduated this school last year and it is the best if i could i would continue here the teachers are great i miss you all.
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 21, 2007

I am the parent of a second grader at P.S. 49 this is her third year in attendance. I have to say i am very happy to have my daughter at this school. I feel that the staff and teacher give 110% at all times. I am thrilled that as a parent I am always welcome in the school in fact I was thrilled to attened open schools week (I was there three out of four days} and be able to see how my daughters teacher teaches her lessons so that I can mimic that at home to continue to help my child learn. I think that it is great that wether your child has been on the school for 2 years or 2 weeks the staff not only knows the child by name but they also know you, I would recommend this school to anyone.

Posted November 20, 2007

My two children started in PS49 this year and are very happy with their new friends and teachers. I am also very pleased after having met with the teachers and sitting in at one of the classes. My one complaint however, is with the administration staff. They were very unhelpful during registration, and when I have had to meet with them throughout the year they acted as though they couldn't be bothered with my questions.

Posted August 23, 2007

I cannot be happier about this school. The principal Mr. Lombardi gives 100% to the school including his office to create another classroom. I would rate it 10!!! The teachers are great..my daughter attended kinder and i cannot be happier.

Posted May 14, 2007

I think this is a great school, my daughter is in 1st grade and just loves it she thinks her teacher is also great looking forward to having her there till the eight grade once the construction is completed.

Posted November 14, 2006

I am a former student that graduated last year. I am shocked anyone would say the princable is bad. My 6 years at P.S 49Q was fantastic. I sugest anyone who is looking for schools go here.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 4, 2006

I feel compeled to respond to the first review that suggest the principal is inadequate. My son graduated frm 49 in 05. He transfered from another school where he was struggling. He excelled in time due to the academic stratagies that are implemented and is now in 119 maintaining an 85 average. I have another child that is starting the 1st grade at 49. I am proud to say my children attend 49. PS I love the pricipal, he can be tough but management is difficult and not everyone can be happy all the time.

Posted December 23, 2004

I am not a parent of PS 49Q, but a former student. My time at PS 49 was a good time, except for my final year, when the current principal arrived. The man is not an educator, he is a politician, and if I had my way, he wouldn't be allowed to go near children.

Posted August 20, 2004

I love the school. The teachers are devoted to the student success. My child was in 4th grade and she even surprised me how well she did no the ELA. The principle is one of the best, open for parents recommendations. I have base to compare since we move from ps 101, in addition my child has attended a college based nursery and pre-k. Thanks! I am really glad that my child is in ps 49

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 32% in 2014.

132 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

137 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2013-2014 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in Science. At present 2013-14 results are available only for English language arts and math. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 33% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 43% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 90% in 2013.

134 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2014.

133 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

131 students were tested at this school in 2014.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 29% in 2014.

110 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 38% in 2014.

112 students were tested at this school in 2014.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 29% in 2014.

128 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 33% in 2014.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 36% in 2014.

96 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 22% in 2014.

63 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: New York State Education Department

In 2009-2010, this school was given a grade of "C" for the elementary school level.

Progress Report Grades measure the school's contribution to student learning in three areas: School Environment, Student Performance and Student Progress. Schools can receive additional credit for achieving exemplary performance progress among high-needs students. Progress Report Grades range from A to F.

Source: New York City Department of Education

Master's degree and above 43%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%
Source: NYSED, 2011-2012
The NYC Department of Education asked parents, teachers and students about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, safe, communicative and collaborative. Learn more

The information captured by the survey is designed to support a dialogue among all members of the school community about how to make the school a better place to learn. An overall category score is calculated for each respondent group (parents, teachers, or students) by averaging the scores of the questions within that survey category.

Category scores for each of the respondent groups are then combined to form overall category scores. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all NYC public schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the NYC DOE survey »Close
Based on 1033 responses

This school provides ... 1

A safe and respectful environmentWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school creates a physically and emotionally secure environment in which everyone can focus on student learning.

8.4

6.8

7.2

7.7

8.0

Clear, useful communication about educational goalsWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school provides information about the school's educational goals and offers appropriate feedback on each student's learning outcome.

8.2

8.5

7.1

7.3

7.8

Strong parent, teacher and student engagementWhat's this?

This score measures how engaged parents, students and teachers feel they are in an active and vibrant partnership to promote student learning.

7.3

7.7

6.8

7.2

7.8

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures how well parents, students and teachers feel that the school develops rigorous and meaningful academic goals that encourage students to do their best.

8.2

• MR. ANTHONY LOMBARDI
Fax number
  • (718) 894-3026

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now