Ps 87 Middle Village

Public | PK-8 & ungraded | 583 students

Posted April 5, 2014

My daughter is attending this school since first grade. Now she is in fourth grade. My son is in first grade. I am glad that they are in P.S. 87 because they feel safe and comfortable in this school. The way that the staff made everyone feel welcome. They respect everybody and they make sure that the students get the help that they need and the best education.

Posted February 11, 2014

I am Very pleased with the school. My son is currently attending pre-k and he has learned a lot. Perhaps is the teacher Mrs. Alkaim is fabulous. My son knows how to count up to 100, knows basic math adding and subtracting, geometric figures, whole alphabet, all senses, colors,etc. I had asked some parents who their kids attend other schools and my son is so advanced in comparison with kids from other schools. I do feel ps.87 is making a great effort to bring up their grades and statistics. Overall, I think this school has a great mission and shows a lot of effort to involve the parents in their kids education. Love the mail always keeping us current with everything. Love the teacher Mrs. Alkaim.

Posted October 27, 2013

The bottom line is that 87 is a great school. They let us know about our kids. They send out goal letters and how to help our kids. Me and my kids are going ape picking Tuesday. That is run by the school and families can go. Thanks to the parents and game night cause my kids had fun. The school is having a parade on Halloween. That's for the kids. I get emails from the school all the time. And Mr Darnell is great. And the principal and assistant principals too. The bottom line is if you want a great place where your kids learn and have fun then 87 is the place for you.

Posted October 24, 2013

If you have come to any of the PA meetings you would have heard that the schools have been cut 776, 000 this year snd ove 10 million overr tbe past six years. How do yiu expext the school to funtion. You talk about shoparoo to raise miney for the school but you should be demanding appropriate funding for the school. And if you know anything about laws cameras aren't inside sny classrooms so the principal can only address what is brought to her attention if it happens in a class. I drop my kid off every morning and all I see are kids that can't wait to get into school so instead of being a coward and posting her why don't y go in and talk to the principal. I have many times and ALL my issues have been addressed. How many times have you gone in???

Posted October 7, 2013

one of the worst schools in middle village its a shame my child is zoned here. The principal THINKS she runs a tight ship but truth is the kids do whatever they want and get away with it. All those cameras and they never see anything while its happening always have to go back and view it. Others have said the principal is never around that I strongly disagree with she is always seen around the school...but to me that isnt a big deal when she doesnt address issues brought to her attention. The kids at this school have no home training its a shame that they arent taught. If you can do yourself a favor and look for another school.

Posted September 19, 2013

The school is looking great morning line up and afternoon dismissal is running smoothly. Ms. Michaeli has got everything under control. She been there in the morning and the afternoon to make sure everything is running well. Thumbs up to her for fighting for this extension. Very much needed great job to a wonderful principal. Also for the parent that's says 3rd grade is getting 2nd grade HW and no one checks it. Well its the 2nd week of school give it a break my son is in 3rd grade his HW is checked everyday. A big check and comments. Give it a break. If your that unhappy go to another school. This is a great school. You will see that if u

Posted September 19, 2013

I agree with the parent that said that Ms Michaeli has line up and dismissal running smoothly. My daughter was very afraid to go in at first but once she saw Ms Michaeli she went right in. I dont have to be afraid that she will be lost in the crowd because Ms Michaeli has teachers lined up to show them where to go. At first dismissal was crazy and crowded but Ms Micaheli found a solution to the problem and now dismissal is running smoothly. My next remark is for the parent that wrote about the homework. I went to the PA meeting to find out about the new core standards. I am so overwhelmed by all of the changes that the city is making. It's just not fair to the kids. If the city wants to make all of these changes they should have sent to the schools all of the materials that they need. i found out that our school hasn't received all of our books and that the teachers are making do with what they have. Before parents complain they should get their information straight and attend the PA meetings! Ms Michaeli Thank You for standing up for our kids while the city has forgotten them !!

Posted September 18, 2013

The school got a new gym and my children love it! I am a happy parent.

Posted June 20, 2013

I would also like to comment on the review posted by the kindergarten parent.The PA is only allowed a certain number of fund raisers a year.We try to make it as fun as possible for the kids WITH VERY LIMITED FUNDING AND PARENT INVOLVEMENT.If more parents came to PA meetings and got involved things might be different.As far as the supermarket blitz yes it is for adults but EVERY dime of the money raised goes to the kids.Carnivals and festivals would be wonderful if we had the space and funds available.The construction of the new addition has limited many things including outdoor recess which by the way the principal and parents have been fighting for for 10 years.The PA hosts dances Halloween carnivals craft nights Santa visits and various other activities.Once again with limited funds and parent involvement.Talent shows and plays unfortunately could not happen due to the new State Standards that our children are being forced to rise to.As a kindergarten parent you will soon see that TEST PREP takes an enormous amount of time away from teachers and students fun time.You really don't realize the accomplishments that Ms.Michaeli has made in the past 10 years-ALL FOR THE KIDS Eileen-PA

Posted June 20, 2013

I also will be commenting on the comments posted by a kindergarten parent .The ONLY thing you have correct in your comment is that our Kindergarten teachers are wonderful. Everything else is so NOT TRUE.. The PA does a lot of things for the students, Halloween Carnival, Santa, Dances, Animal land, holiday gift sales, to name a few .and yes supermarket blitz where the adults come out for the night to raise money for our KIDS The PA volunteers our free time to make fun events for your children, To bad parents are too busy bashing us here instead of attending meetings to find out what YOU can do to help us . As for the Principal she goes above and beyond to make sure our kids get the best education from Pre K thru 8th grade. And her door is ALWAYS open for any parent anytime. As for the lack of space for recess, WE FOUGHT LONG AND HARD TO GET AN EXTENSION TO MAKE OUR SCHOOL BETTER FOR ALL CHILDREN, so right now we are a little inconvenienced with the construction, deal with it. Instead of bashing our school you should get involved and support our school and all that is being done for your children.

Posted June 20, 2013

I'd like to comment on the parent who says the PA (we do not have a PTA, other schools claim to have a PTA but you will never see a teacher arounf, Ours is PA Parent Assocation.) and the Principal aren't interested in the kids. That's just wrong to say. The PA has plenty of fundraisers for the school. The first was is the letter that goes out at the beginning of the year for dues. Hardly no one sends that back. We have Halloween carnivals, school dances and plenty more. The PA are working parents volunteering their time its not easy. Instead of bashing get involved. And as far as the Principal I have never seen a principal who TRULY cares about the kids. SHES NOT FAKE. Just to get this straight I'm not on the PA, I have no involvement to the school so this isn't bias. I just know the school. Parents should get involved more isn't of bashing go to the school speak to the PA and the Principal her door is ALWAYS OPEN

Posted June 19, 2013

My son is in kindergarten and all the kindergarten teachers are absolutely wonderful! I don't like that the kids had nowhere to go for recess, they had to sit in the lunchroom and draw/color once they were done with their lunch. I also don't like that there are no fundraisers that would actually be FUN for the kids. Other schools have little festivals and end of the year carnivals and the kids have the most amazing time. But it seems our principal and PTA aren't at all interested in the kids and doing much that they would enjoy. The kids don't put on any plays or show other than the holiday show. And I don't know why happened to the talent show this year, I guess once again it wasn't important enough to be held for the kids. Meanwhile we make sure we have the supermarket blitz every year, you know since that benefits the adults! And now kindergarten graduation is in the classrooms?! That's ridiculous!! They should be in the auditorium all together!! I don't know if my son will be returning to PS 87 for 1st grade! Mrs. Terranova is the most amazing teacher!

Posted April 25, 2013

First off I want to say that I totally disagree with the parent that is bashing Ms.Michaeli I feel like she is very much involved with pretty much all the school activities and is always there when you need to speak to her about anything regarding your children. And as far as the kids not having a place to run which is wrong. They use the auditorium for dance and to run around. If the Principal wasn't involved enough would she fight for 7 years to get the extension? I mean she's only human I'm sure she has meetings and other issues that she has to handle out side of the school regarding PS.87. So if parents don't see her every single time they walk into the school DON'T PANIC. Being a principal isn't an easy job . But I feel like she is doing the best that she can do and she's doing a good job at it. My children have been going to 87 for almost 4 years now and I am more than happy with them attending school at 87. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Posted April 24, 2013

My son is a special needs student. When he entered p.s.87 as a first grader he could not read or do any math problems and had a problem sitting still during lessons. By the second day of school, his teacher, Ms. lyons, had approached me to explain why he was not sitting still. He didnt know how to ask for help when he didnt understand the class work. Within a few days he no longer got up and walked around during lessons.By the time he left this wonderful school after 3 years, (we moved to long island), he was almost reading on level, doing math problems in his head in the blink of an eye. I have never met a more involved school staff in my life. The principal, the parent cordindator are the most informative people I know, when it comes down to asking for information about my children's education.......what is needed to get him to the next chapter of classwork, What I can do to help him to learn. If all schools were run like one is, we wouldn't. need the board of Ed. My only regret is not being able to keep him in this school when we moved. I am very happy that the school finally got their extension that they needed. I can't wait to see the new building.

Posted April 18, 2013

This part of the neighborhood is changing....along with the kids/people that have moved into the area....Very low parent interaction where things had to be cancelled....The principal is very nice but wish we would see more of her ( When kids get dissmissed in front...Christmas Shows etc... which feel like she's to busy to be there...I also dont like the little kids get NO running around time...theres a basement would it hurt for them to go down and play games run around a little & be kids?? I also don't know half the time what my child is doing during the week I ask of course if I didn't I wouldn't know (my childs in 1st gd.) Sorry to say I will be transferring my child...I STRONGLY think that if the principal was more of a pressence then the assistants pricipals which are wonderful they school would be a stronger & better school...

Posted April 17, 2013

So far I had no issues with the teachers but you never see the Principal..I heard issues with bullyng..dont like there isnt a gym and the preschool kids dont get to play downstiars in the basement...sing songs run around etcc...

Posted September 4, 2012

My son went to kindergarten last year ( this year he is entering 1st grade ) to PS 87 and I am very pleased with this school. Very friendly staff, great teachers!

Posted August 13, 2012

My son will be entering kindergarten this Sept., and I want to say thank you to Dr. Rossen (school psychologist). I greatly appreciate your wonderful help, advice, and your quick repsonse to all my questions.

Posted March 2, 2012

My child is a Preschool student and her teachers Mrs. Elkaim and Mrs Horkan are wonderful educators. My daughter is already writing her name and subtracting! Im so greatful and pleased with the quality education at this school and recommend it highly to all parents!!!

Posted January 10, 2011

Today, my horrible experienced at another school, turned to joy after meeting the kindest, most compassion secretary Maria to the Principal, Ms. Machaeli, who then sat me down with the assistant principals, and some teachers, during their lunc ... to make sure the one thing i took with me is that "They all truly care about their families!" My son who is on the autism spectrum was at home instantly being greeted by a wonderful male safety agent! I am still smiling with relief of finding an entire school that cares!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 32% in 2014.

61 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2013-2014 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in Science. At present 2013-14 results are available only for English language arts and math. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 33% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 43% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 90% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2014.

48 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

49 students were tested at this school in 2014.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 29% in 2014.

59 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 38% in 2014.

58 students were tested at this school in 2014.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 29% in 2014.

63 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 33% in 2014.

63 students were tested at this school in 2014.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 36% in 2014.

77 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 22% in 2014.

77 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: New York State Education Department

In 2009-2010, this school was given a grade of "A" for the elementary and middle school level.

Progress Report Grades measure the school's contribution to student learning in three areas: School Environment, Student Performance and Student Progress. Schools can receive additional credit for achieving exemplary performance progress among high-needs students. Progress Report Grades range from A to F.

Source: New York City Department of Education

Master's degree and above 49%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%
Source: NYSED, 2011-2012
The NYC Department of Education asked parents, teachers and students about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, safe, communicative and collaborative. Learn more

The information captured by the survey is designed to support a dialogue among all members of the school community about how to make the school a better place to learn. An overall category score is calculated for each respondent group (parents, teachers, or students) by averaging the scores of the questions within that survey category.

Category scores for each of the respondent groups are then combined to form overall category scores. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all NYC public schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the NYC DOE survey »Close
Based on 407 responses

This school provides ... 1

A safe and respectful environmentWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school creates a physically and emotionally secure environment in which everyone can focus on student learning.

8.6

8.0

8.6

8.4

8.8

7.2

8.4

8.0

Clear, useful communication about educational goalsWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school provides information about the school's educational goals and offers appropriate feedback on each student's learning outcome.

8.8

8.7

9.2

7.8

Strong parent, teacher and student engagementWhat's this?

This score measures how engaged parents, students and teachers feel they are in an active and vibrant partnership to promote student learning.

8.9

7.2

7.8

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures how well parents, students and teachers feel that the school develops rigorous and meaningful academic goals that encourage students to do their best.

8.7

Teachers2342%

12012-2013 New York City Department of Education School Survey

• MS. CARYN MICHAELI

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

67-54 80th St