P.S. 128 the Lorraine Tuzzo, Juniper Valley Elementary School

Public | K-8 & ungraded | 798 students

Posted September 6, 2013

This is a great school. My oldest son attends this since kindergarten and now is in 6th grade. The staffs / teachers are well trained and are helpful.

Posted August 27, 2013

PS/IS 128 The only problem I see with this school is that there are way to many kids that are not zoned ,the staff should be more careful. Otherwise my children are doing very well in this school. Teachers and staff are wonderful !

Posted June 21, 2013

My son attended K-8th grade. Overall it was a good experience. Mr. Lavelle provides strong leadership and manages the school well in challenging times. The teachers are committed and doing a fine job although there are a few who are not up to the level. The district 24 is the most crowded district and Board of Education under Bloomberg leadership did little to ease the pressure on public schools in the area. The situation gets even worse for high school students in Queens.

Posted May 16, 2013

I am very sad to say that but this school is overrated. The classes are indeed overcrowded, kids punished for not having they homework (kindergarten kids have time to play cut out/or not at all because of that). You have to pay for everything that is organized in school. Trips that are barely ever are also paid. I just wonder what are those money earned during all events go? With such potential of space inside and out kids are having gym time within 4 classes being together (almost 100 kids per one gym teacher, the other teacher just stands nearby). Often happens that kids are not going out at all. If it is about teachers quality - some are better that others. You basically have to do homeschooling anyway. There is no extra help for lower performing kids, the suggestion from the teacher and principal stuff is: private tutoring! Principal involvement - almost none. Parents are not allowed to say anything but: Yes, Mr.... thank you Mr......! Concern parents are really not welcomed!!! If your kid is good and you stay quite, fine. Otherwise don't count on any help. The survey was given to parents with the pencil and we were asked to give it back right away!!!

Posted February 17, 2013

I must say sincerely, it has become almost an every day experience in my office, or by phone, by parents wanting to reside only in the 128 school district. I know some of the teachers, but apparently the word is out all over every area how great, good this school is. My office is on Metro by 73 place, and honestly the demand for living quarters only in the school district far exceed the inventory. Whether an apartment or House rental in this school district, it is rented within several weeks or days. Sincerely, Jim Turano/Broker Diverse Real Estate

Posted November 19, 2012

I read somewhere that the ratio of this school is 1:17 and the average NYC school is 1:15 (teacher to student ratio). On what planet or century is that information from? This school is so overcrowded it's sickening. My kids have 30-31 kids per class with only one teacher (therefore a 1:30 raitio). Because the school rents out most of the third floor for disabled kids, all kids of the same grade have gym at the same time. That makes 90 kids per gym class,which is stupid and dangerous, not to mention that they get no exercise at all! They play tug of war and pacman relay through 6th grade... what a joke. Where is the schedule they are suppossed to follow, like soccer, basketball, volleyball etc? My kids tell me they prefer to sit out and read instead of play gym and it seems many kids sit out. My son hates art, but puts in an effort and got a 100% on the only test, yet the teacher is almost failing him. I hate this school more and more every day and I am looking to send my kids elsewhere. It's a shame since I pay taxes here and private schools are very expensive. My last resort is home schooling but I don't know if I could handle that. Our kids need a hands on education!

Posted August 28, 2012

It used to be a good school, until it changed. I cannot wait until I graduate this school!

Posted January 2, 2012

My daughter is in 1st grade here and her teacher is amazing-- compassionate, organized and knowledgeable. The school is clean and friendly. The staff all know my daughter by name! They have also been wonderful about offering learning support services and advice. Her teachers welcome parent interaction and really listen to what I tell them about my daughter. So far, our experience has been wonderful!

Posted April 13, 2010

Love this school - everyone - from the principal on down - is so friendly & helpful and I love my son's teacher, she really does a great job and is very approachable. My only problem is the overcrowding already happening in the brand new building, and the kids that are in PS 128 that are not zoned for the school. I think the faculty needs to be more stringent in terms of 'checking up' on where the kids actually live. If the parents are giving the kid's grandparents' address, etc., because that's in the 'zone', that's not fair to the rest of us who really live within the zone of the school. And I believe that's a BIG reason for the overcrowding. Other than that, the new school is beautiful, and my son is doing great in it.

Posted June 24, 2009

My son is in the 3rd grade he has the most wonderful teachers, yes his class is very crowed but the teachers make it comfortable for the kids and make it easier for the kids to learn, this year he took the state test for the first time, he did so well as a matter of fact pretty much the whole class passed, and I thank the wonderful teachers!!! The whole staff at this school is wonderful the principal, the parent coordinator and everyone else. I also love the fact that the kids have a dress code. I could not be more happier with this school I look forward to the new building and the fact that my son will continue in such a wonderful school!

Posted November 14, 2008

I will tell you what the problem is....There are many (too many kids) that are not zoned for ps 128 that go there. They should be weeded out and go to the schools that they are zoned for. The end.

Posted September 11, 2008

My child is in the double class for 2nd grade and after 'Meet the Teachers' last night I walked away saying lucky me. My child has 2 strong and experienced teachers with so many different creative ways of reaching each and every child. We are truly lucky. The schools need to be creative to fit all these kids that are looking for the best education that we can get.

Posted September 8, 2008

Ok...lets start! Do any of these parent remember going to school when there was over 30 kids in a class with one teacher. Did we learn any less?? I only wish my my daughter was in the class room with two teachers. Yet I am very pleased to have Ms Tammer as her teacher. Every school has to deal with cuts from the government. We should be grateful that we have such a caring principal and teacher who care about our children. I also have a son in kindergarden. He is is the double room. There are 38 kids in this class. One teacher teaches while the other goes around to help. Where else can you get that type of attention. We should be overjoyed that are NEW school is being built for us all to enjoy. Mullahy

Posted September 4, 2008

I have 2 children in 5th and now 2nd grade.My 2nd grader has 42 children with 2 teachers in a regular room. They are scrambling moving an art teacher for the last 5 years now teaching 2nd grade. Im told thats what happens when your the best school . OVERCROWDING! My 5th grader has 30 with more comming . There is no gym (real ) audituriums don't count. There is now no art teacher shes busy in second grade am I repeating it. the afteschool program is 2.30 -3.07 what can you learn in 37 min if your struggling with a subject. they don't seperate those weak in math from reading and writing you must get tuttoring for it all .l They no longer have a computer room its lap tops in the lunch room. MAY I SAY ANY MORE.

Posted June 25, 2008

My children are entering 4th & 1st grade this September. Our school is outstanding to say the least. The level of education, love and support continue to surpass all expectation. School educators, support staff and Principal should be commended for taking our children by the hand and leading each of them toward becoming educated, loving and independent individuals. Love this school! ~K. Linden

Posted March 26, 2008

This school is not as good as it used to be. My son was in K last year and sure they had a lot of events but he really didn't learn too much. The school has no activities for grade 1-2 only for k, 3-5. They took away computer lessons for the lower grades. There is no gym. Also if you child needs help in any subjects good luck getting it. I found that I had to be a nag to get my son the help that he needs which to me is not as good as other schools. Maybe when the new school is built some things will improve like the gym and computers. However, I believe they have the work cut out for them in competing with other schools in providing the children with the fundamentals in education.

Posted March 26, 2008

This school so far has surpassed my expectations. My daughter is in K and she has learned so much. I received her report card and not only is it excellent but her teacher tells me she has put her in advance math. The staff as well as the teachers are so responsive. I would never expect this from a public school. I hope it does not change.

Posted August 8, 2007

P.S. 128 is a great school my daughter attended from K-5 and then later moved on to I.S. 119. She was in the advanced class which was able to allow her to later be in AP classes in high school and have credits entering college and I believe P.S. 128 was what made her love learning so much. Good Job Mr. Lavelle!

Posted June 26, 2007

P.S.128 is an excellent school from expirience of going there. I have never recievced such fine education. The teachers care so much and they put in 100% effort in having every student learn. I believe that P.S.128 is the best school in the district.
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 27, 2007

My son went to PS128 from K-5 and continued onto IS119 in Glendale. Due to his excellent foundation at PS128, he made it to the honors program at IS119 and is now continuing on to an excellent high school. I personally went to Catholic elementary school. At first I was skeptical about sending my son to public school, but after his experience at PS128, I know we made the best choice for his education (and saved a bundle of $ in the interim!) 128 has caring teachers, a warm environment and amazing parental involvement! Kudos to your school Mr. Lavelle!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 32% in 2014.

93 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

91 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2013-2014 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in Science. At present 2013-14 results are available only for English language arts and math. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 33% in 2014.

102 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 43% in 2014.

99 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 90% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2014.

88 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

86 students were tested at this school in 2014.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 29% in 2014.

96 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 38% in 2014.

97 students were tested at this school in 2014.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 29% in 2014.

84 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 33% in 2014.

84 students were tested at this school in 2014.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 36% in 2014.

89 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 22% in 2014.

40 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

70 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: New York State Education Department

In 2009-2010, this school was given a grade of "A" for the elementary school level.

Progress Report Grades measure the school's contribution to student learning in three areas: School Environment, Student Performance and Student Progress. Schools can receive additional credit for achieving exemplary performance progress among high-needs students. Progress Report Grades range from A to F.

Source: New York City Department of Education

Master's degree and above 53%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%
Source: NYSED, 2011-2012
The NYC Department of Education asked parents, teachers and students about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, safe, communicative and collaborative. Learn more

The information captured by the survey is designed to support a dialogue among all members of the school community about how to make the school a better place to learn. An overall category score is calculated for each respondent group (parents, teachers, or students) by averaging the scores of the questions within that survey category.

Category scores for each of the respondent groups are then combined to form overall category scores. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all NYC public schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the NYC DOE survey »Close
Based on 661 responses

This school provides ... 1

A safe and respectful environmentWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school creates a physically and emotionally secure environment in which everyone can focus on student learning.

8.7

9.0

8.4

7.9

7.2

9.2

8.0

Clear, useful communication about educational goalsWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school provides information about the school's educational goals and offers appropriate feedback on each student's learning outcome.

8.5

8.8

8.5

7.8

Strong parent, teacher and student engagementWhat's this?

This score measures how engaged parents, students and teachers feel they are in an active and vibrant partnership to promote student learning.

8.2

8.4

7.2

7.8

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures how well parents, students and teachers feel that the school develops rigorous and meaningful academic goals that encourage students to do their best.

8.8

Parents36861%
Students24897%
Teachers4588%

12012-2013 New York City Department of Education School Survey

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

69-10 65th Dr