No rating

Chaminade High School

Private | 9-12 | 1748 students

Living in Mineola

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $400,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,790.

Posted July 29, 2014

The statement made by a former student that "Chaminade is too good for regents exams" must be corrected. Forget about the fact that the statement has a tint of snobbishness, it is totally false. All private schools in NYS have the choice to give Regents exams or not. Most schools still give them because if they do not, the school forfeits a great deal of Regents funds from NYS. As an example, Kellenberg, a sister school of Chaminade, also does not give Regents. Kellenberg clearly is not in the same academic "Ballpark" as Chaminade, nor is it a tougher curriculum, or higher standard of acceptance than most other high schools on L.I. or NYC. There is even a Lower "Tract" at Kellenberg, which is meant for struggling students. Myths, all too often, are spread.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 6, 2014

My son is a sophomore at Chaminade. After his Freshman year I felt it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Now that we are nearing the end of his Sophomore year I find a well spoken gentleman who is responsible for his own actions and work. I now see why people have said over and over again, they go in as boys and come out men. I also believe how when they graduate Chaminade they are ready for college. I see how my son has become more responsible for knowing his own deadlines, etc. As a lacrosse and football mom, the sports are top notch at Chaminade. We are very proud to wear their name!

Posted April 17, 2014

Chaminade takes the cream of the crop and guides them through 4 years of rigorous education. The end result speaks for itself.

Posted July 14, 2013

Chaminade (Mineola). I graduated from Chaminade many years ago. It is a place for the narrow-minded. The Chaminade Man philosophy tries to put it's students in a very restrictive mold. While many Hispanics are Catholic, they are underrepresented there. They don't fit the CHS mold. Their PR is very good but their scope and curriculum is narrow. At CHS, they don't teach you how to think ; they teach you what they want you to think. Alumni strengths are in Business/Law types of careers. Don't send your son there if he is of a creative bent. Chaminade does not suffer those who think outside the box. In my long business career, I seldom met any other Flyers who did not regret going there. The brothers would tell us that "you probably won't enjoy going here but you can " brag" that you went here when you get to college. Imagine going to a place that doesn't expect that you will enjoy the experience. They don't accept transfer (unless you are a good athlete) since they feel that their program is so special that you have to be there for 4 hrs to get the full benefit. They do not make it easy for you if you want to go to non-Catholic colleges. Great PR but not worth the $ or the BS.

Posted June 18, 2013

1279 average SAT score. Find me public schools with that. Take a look at what colleges graduating seniors continue on to. The school is one of the cheapest private institutions in the Tri-State area.

Posted June 6, 2013

Strange, weird "brothers" run this place. They have zero social skills and purport to know about the real world. They don't. The school is for the cr me de la cr me of students on Long Island. Think about it, though. Why be a little fish in a big pond when you can be a big fish in a little pond.? Here, you won't stand out and you'll never get in to Harvard or Yale. But if you go to public school, you'll be at the top of the class.

Posted June 1, 2013

One of the top academic high schools in the nation. A large endowment also makes it the most affordable private parochial high school in the New York area.

Posted May 25, 2013

I am currently a student at Fordham University and at my high school I was considered very smart (Top 5% at North Shore High School). I have a couple of friends who graduated from Chaminade, all of them who say they were either average or under-average students, and I must admit that all of them are incredible students and have little to no struggle with the loads of work given in class. This shows how tough Chaminade most likely is, and I just cannot imagine how itelligent the "Top 5%" at Chaminade must be. I will definitely consider Chaminade as a highschool for my future son if I remain living on long island.

Posted March 5, 2013

Chaminade is a first rate college prepatory high school. Its students are very well prepared to meet the challenges that college present to students.

Posted December 28, 2012

Chaminade I am sure is very good to some students, but those that fall outside of the "Chaminade" type do not fair as well. My son traveled for two years on a bus where he was continuously beat up every day by the wrestling team. In addition, he was forced to fight other kids by the same bullies. I spoke to those in charge many times: parents, bus drivers, and school officials. Nothing was done. I felt as helpless as my son to fight against a system that turns its face away from these uncomfortable social problems. My son takes it in stride and looks upon it as a closed chapter in his life. But as his mom, the witness to it all, I can only hope that some parent will read this and reach out to others whose sons are in similar situations and do something.

Posted December 19, 2012

Stop for a moment and consider the bitterness underlying some of the adjacent reviews of Chaminade High School. Now consider this: Why do some people insist on posting comments that reveal more about them and their own current life prospects than they reveal about Chaminade?

Posted December 10, 2012

Bleak and conformist, with routinized note taking and exam cramming that passes for education. If you want to prepare your son to think creatively and independently stay away from this place. After four years here I was completely unprepared to think and write at the college level--(though I was well prepared for taking multiple choice tests, and other such meaningless tasks). As a parent now, and a college professor, (and a Catholic), I would not send my sons here if I was paid to do so.

Posted June 28, 2011

As a graduate of Chaminade High School I can attest to the high quality education, but additionally Chaminade creates great men. They instill a sense of pride in one's work and caring for our community at large. When I look at the successes I've had I see Chaminades influence in all of them.

Posted May 7, 2011

I'm a graduate of the Class of 2010, and I personally believed that in certain aspects, the education was lacking. That being said, there are some great teachers here, but they are constricted in the boundaries of the schools antiquated curriculum. This is particularly true in the English and Foreign Language departments. The Spanish program seeks to focus on basic grammar, especially in Senior year, whereas I there was no serious focus on Spanish literature, where the grammar can be applied and reinforced. This is the true sin of the school, especially as bilingualism is becoming more and more necessary for job applicants. The English department also lacks in literature. To Kill a Mockingbird is middle-school level, yet is a freshman year book. Additionally, various works of Shakespeare are assigned, but I feel as though I didn't actually get a strong interpretation of it unless it was explained by the instructor. Lectures were cursory and left no room for discussion. Socially, I will say that while there is a certain slant associated with the school, there is a basic level of respect that people have for one another. Though thats partly because of the Draconian discipline.

Posted March 9, 2011

Did not prepare me in the slightest for what I intend to study in college, mainly because of their overly-strict, structured curriculum. Their philosophy of having no APs really creates a horror once you go off to college...but not to worry...if you follow the college placement office's advice, a Chaminade graduate will do fine at a religious school like Villanova, or perhaps a state school. Had I listened to their advice, I would not be at an ivy-league university now. This is all part of their plan...everyone must think the same way and act the same, and naturally the "challenging academic programs" will provide adequate preparation for college. Think again. Their science program is anything but challenging. In my introductory science college course, we covered everything I learned at chaminade in about 3 weeks, while students who took the AP class at their public schools used the same textbook. Chaminade DID help me mature and develop a close relationship with teachers, although the solely republican atmosphere is NOT what college is like. Summary: A Chaminade diploma looks great. Employers LOVE Chaminade, but intend to work a lot harder in college than your peers at college.

Posted March 6, 2011

I graduated from Chaminade in the 1970's. The school was very rigorous academically and at first I did not like all the hard work I had to do to get good grades.I learned to like the hard work. I became fond of the place because the teachers were very supportive and I turned into a top student. I got into several IVY League colleges and graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Yale. From there I graduated near the top of my medical school class. Chaminade taught me how to study and it paid off.

Posted November 14, 2010

I am a graduate of Chaminade High School and, in retrospect, I believe that I received an unparalleled education. The school is strict and it will sure teach you time management skills, but the workload and very helpful faculty will push you to become a well rounded man and an exceptional student. I believe that my success beyond high school can be largely attributed to the education I received at Chaminade.

Posted October 9, 2010

Best boys college prep high school on Long Island

Posted July 14, 2010

i have to agree with that comment claiming that the Chaminade community doesn't let you be "yourself." The school is certainly academically challenging, but has a stiflingly conservative political leaning. Because of this, the administration is extremely hypocritical in that it will preach Christian values (against war and violence etc.) and then pay lip service to the seemingly endless stream of military alumni who visit. As a former student, i found this deeply disturbing. In regards to the student body, be warned: any type of liberal or even center-left opinions will be met with enormous hostility. I have never, since my years at Chaminade, encountered such blatant bigotry, homophobia, and sexism from my peers. Nevertheless, it is still probably the best school on Long Island academically.

Posted July 5, 2010

I was a 1966 grad. After Chaminade I went to Manhattan on an ROTC scholarship for Chem Engineering where I graduated with honors. Then 4 yrs in the Air Force and dental school at Tufts and then orthodontics at Tufts. I've been in the private practice of orthodontics ever since. I also teach part time at Tufts in the orthodontic department. Chaminade was the best part of my educational experience. It prepared me academically and psychologically to excel.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• French
  • German
  • Latin
  • Spanish
Note: Data provided by school administrators and community.
School leaders, update and verify information here.

School start time
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Fax number
  • (516) 742-1989

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
  • Spanish

• Art teacher(s)
  • Computer specialist(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
Note: Data provided by school administrators and community.
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Apply now