Bad
Good

This school was previously rated very effective by parents. Currently, this school is going downhill. The new principal is not responsive to student's needs and does not address parent's concerns. The teaching practices focus more on giving students busy work, rather than challenging their intellect. Students are allowed to curse and bully others without any consequence. Furthermore, there is a lack of supervision during recess. Students fight in the playground and those supervising place very little effort to prevent or stop the altercations. Also, beware of addressing concerns with the administrative team because they will retaliate against your children. The leadership and practices within this school is simply a disgrace for the Mount Vernon community.

Great Principal & staff. I encourage the teachers of the upper grades to please give the students more home work. Students are at a critical stage in their learining and this will only enhance their academic performance.

I must say the principal, teachers, school safety officer and staff have a remarkable commitment to the students. Our principal has a strong leadership skill and determines to have all his students challenge themselves academically. I am so grateful all their hard work. I m also extremely proud of the PTA and can t wait for the new school year.

My daughter transferred schools in October 2008 from a public school in the Bronx to Holmes School. I have to say how impressed I am with the standards practiced at Holmes. At first, I was concerned because Holmes is not recognized as being a "Blue Ribbon" school. I've come to learn that Holmes school exceeds the standards of "Blue Ribbon". In just one month of being at Holmes, my daughter was reading with ease and understanding the words she was reading. The 1st grade teacher pushed my daughter to reach her potential and with hard work, my daughter reached and exceeded her potential. She's now in 2nd grade and doing wonderful in school. I highly recommend this school. It's not over crowded and each child gets the attention they require.

One of the better schools in the district. Many child friendly teachers, great principal. I truly felt that my child was in an envirnonment that taught him to be responsible and caring to others.

My daughter just completed k. at holmes school and she had an outstanding experience, my husband and i were so pleased with the teacher parent communication, the love, dedication and respect we recieved was so well recieved. we thank the holmes school for a great year and look forward to many more great yeas. We really appreciate the principal , his views, his vision and his ideas around education and parent involvement make a huge difference. leadership is greatly important and from there it filters down to the teachers.

Holmes school stands out in Mount Vernon largely in part to the excellent leadership of its principal and the dedication of its teaching staff. Holmes is innovative and includes the arts as a large part of the learning process. The Music teacher at Holmes along with children in the Holmes School Chorus put on a fantastic theatrical production each year. What other elementary school in Mt. Vernon is that creative. My niece is now in the fourth grade and excels at Holmes school. Parent involvement is high and this also lends to the schools success

Last modified Holmes School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.