No rating

Our Lady of Victory School

Private | PK-8 | 330 students

Living in Mount Vernon

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $247,200. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,340.

Posted Monday, August 18, 2014

Due to the lack of choice within the MV school district I sent my daughter here. They are not truly invested in education. I was disappointed.

Posted September 21, 2013

This is the second year my child has been enrolled at OLV. The administration, teachers and staff are wonderful. Ms. Castilla, is a fair but firm principal, and that's exactly what my child needs. OLV reminds me of when I was younger and attended Catholic School. The family atmosphere is very important to me. I would high recommend OLV to any parent looking for a good school. My son is happy and he loves going everyday. If he's happy, I'm happy!

Posted May 11, 2013

DISCIPLINARY ISSUES!! The principal is weak and unsupportive of the teachers. Her version of discipline is siding with the worst of the worst students. It appears to be easier to do, than dealing with the actual bullying / disciplinary ISSUES. Some students are extremely disrespectful but are rarely admonished due to the fact that students are permitted to challenge teachers openly in her presence. The principal of course sides with the worst of the worst due to her lack of a sense, of the standard, that should be present in a catholic school or maybe a lack of a proper spine. It appears that the school is run not by her the principal but by those students who she is seemingly afraid to deal with. The girls are allowed to wear/ modify the school uniform as they please with total disregard. The teacher's hands are tied due to the principals trickle down fear of tackling the disciplinary issues. I write this so that other parents recognize that this is a potentially dangerous situation for teachers as well as the good students that must endure this ridiculousness.

Posted June 30, 2012

Our Lady of Victory is a wonderful school. The teachers are extremely hard-working and care about each student. Their dedication is both refreshing and admirable. There are a number of extracurricular activities available for the students as well as trips, and consistent use of technology in the classrooms. The students are eager to go to school each day and come home excited about what they learned. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend OLV to any parent.

Posted May 21, 2012

it is a good schools, the teacher work hard and do everything they can do to help us. The people are friendly and loving. I have so much fun on the trips and just being in school. The teachers make the work fun and make you want to learn. I Love the everyone there.

Posted May 21, 2012

I am a student at our lady of victory and I think this school is great because the teachers care and help you for extra credit and they make you feel like a family.

Posted May 10, 2012

I am a student at Our Lady of Victory school and I think that this school is great. OLV has a lot of extracurricular activities and great teachers. The students love the school.

Posted May 10, 2012

Our Lady of Victory is a wonderful school, the staff makes the students feel like family. Ms. Castilla, the principal is a wonderful asset to the school and takes the time to know each and every student personally. They offer many after school programs in a variety of interests. My daughter is constantly challenged and encouraged. Staff are well experienced and make my daughter's learning experience enjoyable and fun.

Posted May 10, 2012

This school is very advance in education. It is always a positive environment to be in. The teachers exhibit positive energy every single day.

Posted May 8, 2012

I Think Our Lady OF Victory Is A Great School It Has Many Extracurricular Activity , Great Friends And Loving Staff. Teachers Are Determined To Teach Students And Help Them Learn And Students Are Willing To Listen To The Teachers. I Would Recommend This School To Other Children And Parents

Posted May 8, 2012

Our Lady of Victory, is a very amazing school. The Principal of this school carries out good leadership qualities, and is very nice to the students. I recommend Our Lady of Victory highly to any parent. The Teachers are determined to teach and help students learn. The Students and teachers are VERY loving, and considerate.

Posted January 18, 2011

OLV is a school that makes you feel part of a big family. I Teachers are experienced and devoted personalized attention to their students. My children came from Dominican Republic in 2009 with no English background, and I have received the help that I needed to be able to get my kids to be in the honor roll. I received extra help with books and advices to reinforce the areas where they were weaker. I am aware of the challenges that they with the support of their teachers have accomplished. Ms. Castilla is a wonderful principal; she is bringing new programs for this spring, and the school is using a smart board in the computer lab. My fourth grader daughter is going to start a reading program to improve her skills. Also, I loved the way that my three-year-old daughter is learning how to pray. I was very surprised when I realized how much she had learned during this quarter. And to me the most important part is that my children are learning to love God .

Posted August 30, 2010

my kids have been in the olv school system for the past 12 consecutive years and i think the '09 school year was the absolute worst. The poor leadership of the new principal has greatly lowered the standard of the school. in all my years of been involved with the school i have never been this disappointed. The teachers are great but they can't do it alone.

Posted June 24, 2010

I was very dissappointed with the school this year. All they do is ask for money monthly for fund raisers but you do not see any improvement in the school. there is no playground and the children are constently getting hurt.

Posted February 23, 2010

I LOVE this scool I am in 8th grade and I have gotten accepted to 3 wonderful high schools this is an oppurtunity for alll children thank you so much Ms. Castilla for all your hard effort
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 30, 2010

My children have attended OLV since age 3 and I have never seen as many changes in OLV since Ms. Castilla arrived. Ms. Castilla has done a wonderful job in the past 5 months. Before Ms. Castilla came the school was awful, the bathrooms were smelly. She took care of that before the school year began. The prior principal did nothing to make the school better. She didn't work with the parents and staff. Ms. Castilla is a principal that cares about our children and their education. Ms. Castilla is very down to earth and that's what I like moste about her. She doesn't try to blow you off like the previous principal. While she has implemented new rules, these rules are for the safety of our children which is more important to me. There's no need for the teachers to be afraid if they are doing their job!

Posted November 12, 2009

This year,there is a new principal. Prior to her arrival,the school was in a decline. Now,it is even worse. Ms.Casilla has a very nasty towards parents,and students.She has instituted the most ridiculous rules since arriving. Teachers seem afraid of her,and overall school spirit has declined. Many parents are unhappy with Ms. Castilla and and are comptemplating taking their children out of this school at the end of the year. My children have been here for several years,and this will definitely will be their last. Do not send your children to this school!

Posted November 3, 2009

Great school with a great staff!

Posted October 28, 2009

OLV is a great school, my daughter attended from 1 grade to 4 grade and then she wanted to experience the public school system but she miss olv so much she return to finish. great school

Posted August 31, 2009

olv is the most greatest school i have ever been to.The teachers are very kind and they would never embrass you in front of other students. I have been in the honor roll for all of semester i have been in olv i surely recommed if u are thinking to put your child in olv you should.
—Submitted by a student

Two or more races 7% N/A
Asian 3% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
School psychologist
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 2:50 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Helena Castilla-Byrne
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (914) 665-3135

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • School psychologist

• Computer animation
  • Graphics
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

5 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year
150
Applications received for the 2012-2013 school year
300
Students typically come from these schools
Lincoln