I graduated from OCS in 2010. This school is amazing. Very few people in this world can say that their advisor truly cared about his or herself as a person, not only to graduate, but to succeed in life as a contributing member of society. I had Mrs. Kurucz as my advisor and she is but one of the amazing staff members at this school. The only downside of OCS that I can remember is that before, say, junior year, there is a lot of teasing that goes on. But that happens in most schools. The difference with OCS is that during junior year, everyone stops listening to the teasing and the little side comments, and literally about 95% of the class are friends. The other 5% tends to be the kids that continue to attempt to tease the other students and, most of the time, they don't end up graduating. I love Onondaga Central as a school. It gave me an amazing childhood, and if you are worried about the teasing that ensues, I can assure you that the education, the friendships, and the experiences will outway the teasing. I know because I was teased until 11th grade and I still love the school and wouldn't change anything that happened in my time there.
I went to school here from 7-12 and graduated in 1959 . I was the only foreign born Jewish student and enjoyed my stay here ! My Favorit, best teach was Mr. Mecalf . What he taught me was, teaching has nothing to do with the amount of money the school district needs or has. He was the best teacher I have ever had. I graduated from Syracuse Univercity in 1964, and prior went to Mohawk tech, in Utica for 2 yrs. to get a Associate degree. I even went to Stanford U. for my Master's degree in 1973 . Now that I will be 71 yrs. young in Northern California, I will never forget or have warm memories of his class and his create ways to present his learning materials ! I will never forget my guidance teacher adviser told me I better take a trade school class, since you will never get into college !
I attended Onondaga and the six years I spent there (7-12 grades) were fantastic. I was in the honors and AP classes offered, and the teachers were great and are willing to help you with whatever you need help on. Theres an activity period after school/before practices that allows students to get extra help or work on their homework during athletic studyhall. The extra curricular activities are great too. I was involved in three sports and all of my coaches were excellent. I wish I could keep going to OCS...forever. I loved it that much. I would definitely send my kids there.
I go to the highschool as a student and I truthfully really don't like it here. I play for the football team and I think the school has great athletics but the education is rediculous the teachers don't care about the students at all. DO NOT go to this school. Go to Lafayette or tully they are way better educated
It is just what a high school should be in an amazing location with amazing educators and after school programs for artists and actors music lovers and on and on and state Champion sport teams.
This is school is alright, academics are exceptional, athletics could be better, and extracurricular activities are alright. It's pretty small, but that gives you a chance to connect more with teachers and seek help if needed, there are many AP and Honors classes. The school is not dangerous, it's about as dangerous as a new born kitten.
I thought this school was excellent. Children are taught not to bully and the principal is excellent. Kids are in line ! I highly recommend this school. Good academics and athletics.
Dangerous school, too small to have good academics, spends too much on athletics and nothing on education.
Teachers are very involved with the students before and after school. Classes are small and teachers & administrators are accessable.
Community ratings and reviews do not represent the views of GreatSchools nor does GreatSchools check their accuracy or verify the reviewers' identities. Use your discretion when evaluating these reviews.
The Community Rating is the school’s average rating from its community members (e.g., parents, students, and school staff). The highest possible rating is five stars; the lowest is one star.
To start a new list, click OK. Otherwise click Cancel.
Thank you! You will begin to receive newsletters from us shortly.
Thanks for verifying your updated email address.
Oops! That email verification link has expired. Please click the button below to receive a new one.
Create an account to submit your answers.
Sign in with an existing GreatSchools account or using Facebook:
Your review has been posted to GreatSchools.
Share with friends! Post your opinion of Onondaga Senior High School on Facebook.
Welcome to GreatSchools!
Thanks! We just sent you an email – please click on the link in the email to post your answers.
Get timely updates for Onondaga Senior High School, including performance data and recently posted user reviews.