New Lebanon, NY
After care: No

Posted November 13, 2014
I went to Darrow years ago as I was unchallenged in public school and my boredom was impacting my studies. My arrival on campus was a turning point, as I found an environment that cultivated intellectual curiosity both inside and outside of the classroom, and critical thinking that put me ahead of my peers when I got to college. I'm happy to find that the school is even more solid now than it was then. I'm six years into my 2nd Presidential administration and I owe it to my time at Darrow.

Posted October 29, 2014
I was a student at Darrow about 5 years ago. It remains one of the fondest memories of my life. I was inspired by truly fabulous teachers to pursue new interests and to excel both academically and socially. I'm not sure why there are so many reviews on here that are ultra-critical. Darrow is NOT right for everyone--no school is. Parents that are overly concerned with bragging to their friends and neighbors about the number of AP courses their child takes and the Ivy League placements they get are going to be bitter about the equally if not more wonderful education Darrow gives compared to a more traditional preppy school. The progressive nature of Darrow's educational philosophies mean that AP courses aren't offered, because why teach to a test? The parents who base their judgment of a school's quality on those types of things are the same parents who think standardized testing is a sound indicator of intelligence or capability. They're wrong, and quite frankly, behind the times. Don't listen to all of the haters. Darrow is a wonderful place for the right kind of kid. Visit it, take a tour, sit in on a class or two. It changed my life, so why not see for yourself?
5 people found this helpful

Posted May 19, 2014
I graduated from Darrow in the 70s, and our son graduated in 2011. The school boasts the best of many worlds: rigorous academics taught in a way that works for each student; a supportive community that gives kids the room to grow; lots of adults who mentor each student and encourage their exploration of topics that interest them. When you go to Darrow, it changes you in a way that stays with you for life. It is located on a gorgeous campus, infused with history and natural beauty. Kids that go to Darrow are the lucky ones.

Posted May 09, 2014
Wonderful environment for learning. The campus is beautiful and the students are respectful and kind to each other. The faculty is extremely caring and works hard to help students succeed.

Darrow School 1

Posted May 04, 2014
a prison in principle. The school is going through a lot of change at the moment, but, it's a giant waste of money and a terrible place where every single kid at the school hates it.

Posted November 16, 2013
I was a student at Darrow 20 plus years ago. As a very young and shy girl, private school seemed incredibly intimidating. What I discovered in myself in those 4 years has been invaluable for the rest of my life. Darrow is an amazing place that nutures young people and allows each student to be who they truly are. I was shocked to see a 2 star rating for my beloved school on this website which has prompted me to post this. Looking through the comments I cannot appreciate where this "average" rating comes from.. Certainly I can tell you for anyone who has a child that loves to learn, loves the outdoors snd may need a little boost to come out of their shell, Darrow was and I believe still is a wonderful school!
2 people found this helpful

Posted July 02, 2013
A great school that gave me so many opportunities to discover myself. I look back at the four years I spent there and wish I could go back!

Posted December 01, 2010
Last year our son who previously showed intellectual curiosity and a love for learning shut down in the public school setting. Darrow has been the lifesaver for our son. He is excited about learning again. In addition to excellent academics the community promotes respect in a nurturing environment.
3 people found this helpful