Bad
Good

My daughter attended this school last year. 2009-2010, I had to pull her out mid year. She was in kaliedescope, which is supposed to be for really smart kids but she had poor reading comprehension skills and no writing skills. The amount of homework given was almost nothing, I spoke to other moms whose kids attended other New Rochelle schools and got quite a suprise when they showed me the homework and school work their kids were receiving. It was like day and night. I complained to principal who was Mrs. Slotkin at the time without much success. . There are a lot of students from other countries which is a plus because kids get exposure to other cultures. The afterschool activities are federallly funded and are only available to low income families and kids that are doing poorly academically. There are a lot of social issues that this school has to deal with because of the area. They do a great job in this aspect by helping a lot of parents with social problems/.social needs.

My child was in the magnet program at Barnard for 4 years, so I became friends with many of my child's peers.Barnard only goes up to 2nd grade and my child was zoned for Jefferson in 3rd grade I spoke to the mothers at the other New Rochelle schools and we compared homework, school projects, curriculum.and after school activities as well as field trips. I can honestly say the homework from Jefferson is lower standards than the other district schools. I became upset when the mother's whose children attended other New Rochelle schools told me about all the things their kids were doing in school in the same grade. When I did not believe my ears, I compared homework and saw with my own eyes. 4th grade homework at Jefferson looks like 3rd grade homework from Trinity and Ward School.

I'm so glad my brother and I got to attend jefferson school, now my son is attending and his needs are being met by amazing teachers.

This is an exceptional school for all children. It is a caring environment that stresses kindness and quality education. The principal, assistant principal and staff is great. Thank you all for giving my children a quality education.

Awful. Any parent with a special needs child should aviod this school at all costs. The administration ties the hands of its teachers at the expense of the students. Avoid!

Last modified Jefferson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.