Bad
Good

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I've only had one teacher so far, with the caption of the specials, however that teacher is Mrs Weinberg. This woman should be canonized. She individualizes each child's reading and math levels and helps to push them to their limits. She gives constant feedback and makes the children want to learn. There is no overload of homework, but the expectations are high. This classroom is the perfect blend and should be emulated by all.

I'm a new parent at Ward this year. We transferred from private school in Scarsdale and needless to say I was terrified of the initial transition. Mr Miele is amazing. He met with myself and my family in the summer to see the school. He is personable and listened to my concerns. Really listened! In September, my daughter was placed in Mrs Weinberg's class. Mrs Weinberg is quite frankly a legend in New Rochelle...and she deserves every complement and accolade. Besides helping children academically, Mrs Weinberg truly "loves" her job and the children know it. My daughter loves going to school again and says she wants to be in school on her days off. She is reading book after book , whereas her passion for reading was dampened last year. I owe a tremendous thank you to Mr Miele, Ms Peluso, Mrs Weinberg, and the rest of the staff at Ward. My daughter even begs to take the bus in the morning. She loves her monitor, Lauren and driver, Joe. Could I have asked (prayed) for better?

Ward is the largest of all the elementary schools in Westchester. There is just about 1000 students and even so everything runs smoothly. Parking is not the easiest but often timing is everything. The principle Mr. Miele is in his 4th year and seems to be running a tight ship. He is clearly visible every morning and afternoon when the children arrive and leave making it obvious that he is easily approachable for both the students and parents. The parents seem actively involved and constantly helping to improve the school in one way or another. I can honestly say that I have been very happy with the quality of teachers and their abilities to deal with not only the new Core but with the new security measures and risk that now comes with being in a school (words I never thought I would have to say). The school has a new security system and they have been practicing all the drills and it is clear that the safety of our children is of the up most concern.

Although Ward is a big school, as a parent and student you feel like part of a small, well connected community. From the principal, to the teachers, to the staff, everyone makes you feel welcomed and important. The teachers are excellent and the school is a microcosm of our diverse population and cultures. I'm proud to be a Ward parent.

Great teachers, the principal is always there for you, the bilingual program rocks! Yes, it is a large school, but it really feels smaller the way each set of grades is in different parts of the school and because of how everyone in the staff gets to know you pretty fast.

Being that it is the largest Elementary school in Westchester, it is run so smoothly, efficiently & doesn't even feel like a big school!! My kids love it here!! Every teacher we have had is so caring, loving, kind, responsible, organized, smart, & patient!! The school really makes you feel at home! The staff is also so welcoming! I feel like my kids are getting a great education here I am very happy to be at Ward School!!!

I am amazed with the special needs programs that Ward offers to children with special needs. They have a pleasant staff and my child has accomplished more in a month then in a year at a different school. I feel blessed to have the opportunity to have my child in this school.

This school is top rate. With a community school feel and a top rated education that is strenuous and challenging. The teachers are top notch.

We transferred our two daughters from private school because of the well-known superb teachers and differentiated curriculum. We have never regretted this decision. To our delight, we were met by a very active and engaged Administrative staff and a warm and welcoming community of parents.

Beautiful grounds, very diverse, active pta. Many after school activities, even though it is large the staff seems to know the children by name.

Last modified William B Ward Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.