Posted October 17, 2013
Physical Education Classes are stuffed beyond what is allowed by the state regulations regarding student:teacher ratios. This problem makes it difficult for the teachers to individualize their program and fosters an environment of potential injuries.

Posted June 30, 2013
To any teachers thinking about applying to Hallen, or to any parents who are thinking about sending your kids here....DON'T! It is a horrible, toxic environment to work in. The administration is awful. All the director is concerned with is budget cuts. She doesn't care about the students or the staff. I was a model employee.To my face the director told me I was doing a wonderful job, encouraged me to get my certification and talked about promoting me, then out of nowhere I was fired. No notice, not even the courtesy of letting me know to my face. She had used me the whole year, even violated my union contract. I was hired as a one to one, but she had me working with two children, violating both of their IEPs and ignoring what was in the students' best interests, meanwhile pocketing the money she saved by only hiring one para for two students. She talks down to all of the students and staff, belittling everyone. She also gossips about students and staff, sharing confidential information. She puts student's pictures up on the website without having them sign consent forms. She has cut every valuable program, Hallen doesn't even have a library. Good luck teaching the kids to read!

Posted February 19, 2013
The library in the bronx gave me a BETTER education then this place, I wish the Internet was around back then, I would have been smarter. Hallen taught me to read, that's it! The rest I had to do on my own. I dropped out of Hallen, by that point I was happy to go to my local I.S school in the Bronx. I guess some things haven't changed since reading these reviews.

Posted January 09, 2013
ATTENTION PARENTS AND PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS, AND DO YOURSELVES A FAVOR: DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME HERE, ESPECIALLY IF YOU WANT YOUR KIDS TO GO TO COLLEGE (SUPPOSEDLY MENTIONED AS ONE OF THE GOALS KIDS GO THROUGH "AFTER HALLEN"). IT'S REPUTATION HAS GOTTEN PROGRESSIVELY WORSE AND NO SIGN OF CHANGE. THEIR STYLE IS OUTDATED AS THEY HAVE USED THE SAME STYLE FOR ITS WHOLE 40 YEARS SINCE ITS OPENING. AND NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE ARE SPEAKING UP ABOUT CHANGING ALL OF THAT. I'VE CERTAINLY TRIED TO DO THAT IN THE PAST, BUT JUST ENDED UP TRANSFERRING TO, IN MY OPINION, THE BEST SCHOOL EVER; MCSM SINCE THEY NEVER LISTENED TO MY INCREDIBLY BRIGHT MIND. IF ONLY THIS REVIEW HAD A "0 STAR OPTION... And to add on, the previous reviewers are indeed CORRECT about this school's dramatic decrease on safety in this school. And TRUE: the staff us the state-funded $30,000 per year/per student for their own uses and yet, the teachers still get lower-than average salaries. This is why I mentioned the fact that they can improve upon themselves by listening to my incredibly bright mind and use this gobs of extra money for a good reason. I'm surprised by the fact that this is also a charter school, making it EVEN worse!!

Posted June 27, 2012
HORRIBLE, UNSAFE, SCHOOL!!! Unfortunately my child attended this school for the first four years of his educational experience. The school has, completely, attempted to set my child up for failure (as another reviewer has stated). The school is terribly unsafe as we have recently been able to discover through, undeniable, proof that our child has been neglected and abused for several years. Our child has communication issues which limits his ability to explain what had happened to him while at The Hallen School. However, we persist in our efforts to expose this school for their, many, wrongdoings. The last two reviews are true. The school is horrible and they are in the business (as it is obviously noticed) to take money from the state funded students to use for their own intents. Only if your of the right status or color, would your child receive "somewhat" of an accepted feeling at this school. What this school has done to our child will be exposed!!! Be fully warned, THIS SCHOOL IS UNSAFE!!!

Posted March 15, 2012
This school dose not help your child at all it sets your child up for failur its horrbile n teachers and staff are always bickring and they don't use the children tuiton which is more then 30,000 for the children they use it for there own us its not good at all

The Hallen School 2

Posted July 23, 2010
I worked at this school and the money they receive from the state is not spent properly. Textbooks are not purchased. Union and Administration are in continual battle. Administration is overstaffed and little work get properly completed. To many principles for so little of a student body. I would not send my child to The Hallen School.

The Hallen School 0

Posted April 20, 2010
My son goes to this school and it has help him alot in every way

The Hallen School 5

Posted March 01, 2010

The Hallen School 5

Posted February 24, 2010
My son graduated in 2009 from Hallen. I can never thank the teachers and staff for all they did for my son. He attended the school from 1995 -2009. The best school EVER!!!!!!!!

The Hallen School