New Windsor, NY
Students enrolled: 1,157

Posted November 22, 2014
I went to CCHS for all of high school (graduated 2012). It's thoroughly mediocre - pretty standard for a public school of its size. It generally just lacks opportunities - opportunities that tend to really make a difference for college. There were only a few AP classes, and I felt that electives were sort of lacking, especially for the underclassmen. More clubs would have been nice too, and a lot of the clubs that DID exist met sporadically and weren't really publicized. I think this stems from the issue of CCHS being a "sports school". If academics & the arts were given as much priority (and funding, presumably) as the athletics programs, I have no doubt that the school could be much better. I also found that too many teachers just didn't care. Most stuff was taught by memorization and not many students fully understood it. I think more essays & projects, especially ones that allow some freedom (as opposed to tests & quizzes) would have been better for learning. This probably stems from the issue of learning ONLY for standardized tests, but that isn't the school's fault. I don't blame the teachers for their indifference either - teachers are generally undervalued & underpaid.

Cornwall Central High School 1

Posted October 11, 2014
we were so outraged by the high school that we moved in the middle of the school year to the city. Yes to the city and in a public high school. It was a HUGE sacrifice for us but we could not stand to see our child being so unhappy. They don't encourage creativity and every thing is memorization. My child was bullied by her ES teacher and there was nothing we could do because he had tenured. Believe it or not, teachers in the city are usually very motivated, aware of the new ways to teach and not stuck in the 50s. THanks to this move she was accepted in a top College. I have to say that the only nice departments were the Art and Language DEpt but they were not the big shots. So had no voice. The Math was terrible and the level low , English could not care less although the level was high and SCience was a joke. WE also had a terrible experience with the middle school too. With my other child. I got scolded by the teacher because my child was wearing a T shirt with the Vitruvian man bought at the Vatican. Yes the Vatican !. This is how backward those teachers are. What they mean by good school is that it is a non diverse school.

Cornwall Central High School 2

Posted March 18, 2014
Wow, these comments are really dim. Has anything improved this year? How is the music dept? We are considering moving to Cornwall from across the river, however, I'm not encouraged by these comments...

Posted September 14, 2013
I'm a student at CCHS and i absolutely HATE it. The only up in my day is Orchestra and that's about it. Even my dad agree's that Cornwall is a Sports town. It will always be Sports > Arts. I don't even know who the new principal even is. The teachers who have a tenure could care less, yes there are teachers who care but rarely. There should be more electives available to Sophomores (more or less freshmen). 17 students to the teacher is a joke i have over 30 kids in an ADVANCED class and i hate it! My guidance counselor NEVER returns my moms calls and the teachers don't really help a lot. School is over crowded for its size. It should be bigger. My mom really wants to send me to private/or catholic high school instead but it's expensive. According to my mom the school hasn't changed since my brother first attended in 2005. Also @ Aug. 19th '13 post....so what if we have the best quarterback...what about all the other players? don't they matter to.

Cornwall Central High School 5

Posted August 19, 2013
I'm going to tell you a little bit about us Dragons. A lot of people say we are overrated, rich, white kids who only care about sports and like to party A LOT. For all the haters drinking hatorade, let me remind you.... We have the best quarterback in New York state. We love sports here in Cornwall because with our academic reputation schools like Lafayette, Pace, and Stanford give our student athletes a full ride. A small percentage of teachers maybe a slap in the face but the rest are only there to help you. Students will find teachers at CCHS that will stay after Drama or Football to work with them on geometry or help them with a lab. Every class i have is a new group of friends because it is so small. Our Gay-Straight alliance group is the most active in the county. Our varsity girls soccer team( that's me) placed fourth in the states last year. We have very challenging AP and honors courses. If your Einstein maybe private school is for you but if your a teenager who wants to be challenged, be INVOLVED, and you bleed the color green, CCHS is your school. A wise man used to say "Commit to Green, Commit to Greatness"-Sheboy CCHS Class @ 2016

Cornwall Central High School 4

Posted June 10, 2013
Hello, My daughter is in seventh grade and is an honors student. I am debating sending her to Cornwall versus a private school. Certainly Cornwall would be much easier. Can any of you comment on the AP courses and the college placement for the last 2 years. I have heard that over the last few years the student body has improved tremendously and as a result the honors classes and college acceptances have also improved.

Cornwall Central High School 4

Posted April 22, 2013
This school is for the average student. If you or your child is an over-achiever, then I would suggest a private school. This is one of the best public schools in the area, however, the grades for AP classes are not as weighted as much as other schools. This means that you or your child would have a seemingly lower grade than other students from different schools comparatively. Most teachers do work solely on memorization because for the majority of children it is the only way to learn. However the majority of the advanced teachers are wonderful. Overall it truly is worth it unless you or child plans to go into the upper reaches of Ivy Leagues.

Cornwall Central High School 1

Posted December 16, 2012
I agree with the last comment. This school is over rated. They don't challlenge the students. Their way of teaching is based on memorization. The teachers don't seem to care as they have tenure. The College guidance counselor could not care less. This is very lamentable given the amazing campus they have : the tennis courts, running track, the library, the pool, soccer field, baseball field.. It is like an empty shell. You are seduced by the outside then you realize that it is empty inside. They don't even go to good Colleges. It makes me sad specially given the taxes. We only were happy with the art dept and lanuage dept. Math and Science were a disaster. English was very stiff,

Posted February 10, 2012
I am unfortunately stuck in a school too preoccupied with sports to care about academics. If you are not an overachiever and are an average student, you'll fit right in. I have been told that this school does not cater to the higher end of the student spectrum (aka, those who are preoccupied with actually learning something). There are no special programs or contests in the intellect department. there is, however, many in sports and music. There is a math team, but no science club or anything of the sort. Way too many sports if you ask me. The English department is very strong. The social studies is so-so. The sciences are so-so (depending on which teacher you are assigned-- some teachers do not know their facts). The maths are so-so. Foreign languages are strong as well. The environment is okay. There are the cliques and there is no major 'bullying' that occurs.

Cornwall Central High School 2

Posted December 05, 2010
Very average school. teachers not supportive. a big disappointment given the taxes. The sciences program is low quality. only the language / history and art were satisfying.

Cornwall Central High School
10 Dragon Drive, New Windsor, NY  12553
Last modified Cornwall Central High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Cornwall Central High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top