No rating

The Lang School

Private | K-12 | 40 students

We specialize in the academic & social/emotional needs of gifted children.

Student diversity

Living in New York

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $870,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,690.

Posted October 3, 2014

The lang school is a special education school for children who do not need an individualized program. If your child has a complex set of verbal and non-verbal difficulties, and / or social skills problems I would not recommend the lang school. There is very little psychological support for kids with co-morbid emotional issues.

Posted June 14, 2014

The Lang School is apart from other schools serving kids with learning differences. It has more the feel of an "alternative" school than a "special needs" school, and that seemed to fit our child's diagnosis, which has a mild presentation. Others see the school's youth as a detriment, I think it lends the school an exuberance & freedom. The faculty is bright and energetic, the space itself is airy and fresh. Yet, a number of the students don't fit the Lang profile, to the detriment of the student body. These kids exhibit severe behavioral problems that seem very disruptive & draw down the school's resources. The school aims to allow each child to advance at his/her pace, with plenty of accommodations in areas of weakness. Even the youngest kids are programming; gardening, welding, and identifying false advertising - a vigorous curriculum that honors the kids' abilities. In practice, some of the kids' weaknesses dominate the scene. Improvement would mean a more careful screening of applicants and monitoring students' progress. Also, a brief weekly email would serve well - poor communication from teachers. I hope Lang grows into its mission, for it fulfills a dire need in our city.

Posted May 27, 2014

I had written a post here about Lang a few weeks ago and it has gone missing. So i will re-post my thoughts until someone at GreatSchools can 'find' my original post. Lang is a great idea to teach and nurture cognitively intact children who struggle with emotional hurdles. The children they take in have had unpleasant and tragic school histories. I admire the administration for taking on a much needed task - to fill a niche so many children and families need. This school is still in its infancy - there is a lot to be sorted out through this time. My suggestion - to retain professionals to help the administration solidify concept and execution of standard policies, treatments and general school decorum. The school is not nearly 'solid' enough to consistently and thoughtfully serve many of the families it is admitting. While many children will be OK - many will not. Which is a shame. Some more work invested on the higher levels of school administration would make this mediocre school into the envy (or model of) of the Special Ed and 2e world.

Posted May 9, 2014

The Lang School holds so much promise. Its mission of educating and supporting gifted kids with learning or emotional disabilities, or both, is a lofty but vital one; this kind of school is desperately needed. Unfortunately, administration is still figuring out what the school should be, and for whom; its students have so many different needs. A kid with ADHD & dyslexia needs something far different from a kid with a communication disorder & anxiety. Factor in kids different learning styles and you have a recipe for confusion and inconsistency. All new schools have growing pains: hiring & retaining the right staff, developing & implementing the right curriculum, giving parents the right amount of input, communicating effectively & often enough about the right things, and so much more. Ensuring the best support for each kid, determining each kid s learning style, and providing for the very different needs of the children make it an especially tough gig. The Lang School is a work in progress. No school is a perfect fit for all its students. Lang works for some kids, and it doesn t work for others. When it works, it s a lifesaver; when it doesn t, it really doesn t.

Posted May 1, 2014

In one short academic year, I watched my child transform. My child came from a NYC public school where he was bullied and made to feel inadequate, insecure and unloved. My child hated school. The Lang School is a nurturing, comfortable environment for bright children. My child loves school again and feels comfortable, confident and loved. Taking away the insecurities created by a bad enviornment allows him to experience the joy of learning. I am thankful for what the Lang School administration, support staff and teachers have provided for my child. It is a young school and sometimes still working out some kinks which is normal, however, it is filled with a collective staff that loves children and loves to help children learn in a comfortable environment. With this goal at the forefront, I feel very confident of its success. I am very pleased with our experience at The Lang School and look forward to the years to come watching my child grow, learn and enjoy school!

Posted April 30, 2014

Lang School is very responsive to the individual child (and families needs). I have been amazed at how quickly teachers and staff respond to my emails. In addition if I have a suggestion I am told outright that it is possible or not and if possible it is usually implemented immediately. At my sons previous schools the teachers sometimes were unwilling to try anything my son's psychologist recommended and if I complained to the head of school she would continually tell me she would look into it but nothing would happen. For the right child and family Lang can be an amazing fit but like any school it has to be a good fit.

Posted April 30, 2014

What do you say about a place that saved our child's love of learning and helped rebuild his self esteem? The teachers are wonderful, well-educated and versatile and willing!!! They care and it shows in everything they do. Our son, is academically gifted (at 6 he can tell you how the digestive system works, map out a route to Japan and compare Dali and daVinci) yet lacks the the discipline and impulse control that he needs to succeed in a doe g&t class. This school fills a need that is becoming more and more prevalent in our city and in our society. I am super grateful we found it and extremely willing to sing their praises! I have found the administration to also be willing to discuss, aid, listen, problem solve and open to helping the each child. After searching for a school that fits our son, and entertaining the possibility that there might not be one, we were thrilled that we came across Lang...it truly is a gift!!! We are extremely happy with the school and are looking forward to the years to come.

Posted April 30, 2014

The Lang School has been a game changer for our son and our family. After spending 4 stressful years in a CTT class at our local public school, where they essentially gave up on our son, we decided to take a chance on this new school for 2E kids. At Lang we have found an amazing community for our uniquely gifted yet incredibly challenged son (ADHD, ASD.) The teachers, staff and administration are GREAT - they are so talented, well trained and dedicated to their students - and they have all worked in a real partnership with my husband and I to help our son overcome his anxiety and multiple learning challenges. Previously my son tantrumed every morning in anticipation of school. Now he can't wait to get there and he is really engaged both in learning and in the social aspect of school. Lang has become like family to us and while it may not be the right fit for every kid, it has been a life saver for mine.

Posted April 30, 2014

Our son has a nonverbal learning disability and some other issues, but is extremely smart. We were concerned that schools that could provide adequate support would not be set up to provide a rigorous curriculum -- and I think that is usually the case. The Lang School has been a blessing, providing the special ed and OT support our son needs along with an advanced curriculum. His teachers are outstanding!

Posted February 13, 2014

Finally, you'll feel like you're exactly where your child should be, and without compromise. The Lang School is unique. Most of the families come from school experiences where their child has been rejected, under-stimulated, misunderstood and frankly bored and not supported. Public schools don't have the right programs for 2E kids. Private schools may love that these kids are gifted, but can't deal with their behavioral and/or emotional issues. Lang is a G&T school with Special Education supports. Finally parents aren't apologizing that their child is ADHD, sensory, Aspie, etc. Instead, we celebrate all the amazing things about them. Every class of 8-12 kids has a G&T teacher and a Special Ed teacher. Social skills, therapy, OT and PT are part of the curriculum as well. Sitting still is not a prerequisite. My son learned about phases of the moon, circumference and diameter, and weather systems in Kindergarten, all while jumping on a trampoline to calm his body. And that is just fine with me. My family is very grateful that a school like Lang exists. Period.

Posted February 5, 2014

The Lang School goes to great lengths to support children with learning and attention issues, although it is geared specifically for children who are twice exceptional -- that is, children who are both exceptionally gifted intellectually and exceptionally challenged by a learning disability or another issue that gets in the way of their learning, i.e. attention deficit or anxiety. The school is unique in its approach to these problems, providing instruction by both gifted specialists and learning specialists and teaching children to embrace all parts of their personalities and accept themselves for who they are. The school values the special gifts that these children have and the unique ways in which they contribute to society and the kids really benefit from all of the positive feedback they receive and the intense supportive environment they find themselves in. The Lang School is an amazing resource for these children, who really just don't fit in anywhere else. Thank god this school exists!

Posted February 5, 2014

The Lang School has been a terrific find for our son. They challenge him in a truly supportive environment where he is able to learn effectively. They have the resources to develop a custom learn plan for students that takes into account their special needs as well as their exceptional skills and abilities. What it means to us is that our son, is learning and enjoying school more. We are so fortunate to have The Lang School in NYC.

Posted February 5, 2014

Our experience has been overwhelmingly positive. Our son has a significant expressive speech delay with minor sensory issue (a suspected auditory processing disorder). Although he is an academically gifted child, it is not obvious, and with his speech delay, it was not demonstrated in his previous private school environment, despite a very small class size. He was anxious, sad and developed a halting stutter. We feared he would fail, develop low self-esteem and no confidence. Reading was also a concern as he showed no interest and was apprehensive just trying. This was a stark contrast to the brilliant guy we knew at home. Within a very short time period at Lang, he truly blossomed, reading beyond our expectations, sounding out every letter and putting it altogether! He has healthy self confidence, preservative and great self esteem. His stutter is minimal at best and his speech has exploded. He loves his teachers, classmates and school. Tears and frustration has turned to pure contentment. We are immensely thankful and grateful to the Lang School for providing a challenging and enriched curriculum, and enabling our son's very bright star shine!

Posted February 5, 2014

Our son has severe ADHD and we have been overjoyed with Lang's ability to minimize his attentional difficulties. They worked with us to settle on an appropriate medication schedule and use behavioral therapy including TCIT and Daily Report Cards to modify his behavior. In addition, they do all the intangibles right to turn Lang into a desirable place for our son where he wants to please and follow the rules. He always wants to go to school (at previous schools this was never the case) and is so proud of himself when he does well at school and brings home a good daily report card. His academic performance has gone through the roof and his social progress has blossomed. He loves the staff and his classmates. There is never any punitive discipline (something he bridled at in previous classrooms) and Lang has worked with our behavioral therapist and us to achieve continuity at school and home. We would highly recommend Lang to any parent with a child who has attentional difficulties.

Posted February 5, 2014

To correct my earlier post regarding our "overwhelmingly positive experience", it is supposed to say "perseverance", not "preservative". Thanks again!

Posted December 25, 2013

Lang school is the first and only school I encountered where teachers and staff work endlessly for each individual child. They initiate communication rather than us having to ask for meetings and receive less than exciting welcomes. The curriculum is so interesting that I personally enjoy doing the assignments. The homework is never the same and my son likes doing it. They tailor his assignments to his level and everything is truly indiv customized. The principle knows everyone and cares about each and every student. Micaela works tirelessly to make every kid succeed. However, the most important thing is that all the kids I met say that they LOVE LANG. My son cries when I threaten to transfer him back to his old school. He loves his teachers. Lang is not perfect but no school works harder for each of their students than Lang. Between my son and two other children I am speaking from experience of dealing with 7 different schools. Yes, I am a picky parent and I do switch schools when I am unhappy but NO ONE ever worked harder than Lang to educate my child. He learned far more this yr so far than in the entire last yr. Thank you LANG!!

Posted November 14, 2013

Lang has been an incredible find for our son. This school is unlike any other in NYC and quite possibly the entire country. Our son had been a great student, community member and a voracious reader. In 3rd grade he developed significant anxiety over writing and test taking. His former school could not find a solutiion. Since he entered Lang, he is learning again, pushing himself and is in fact HAPPY. Nothing is ever perfect, but Lang is a small school with tremendous focus on every child as an individual. Our son is challenged day in and day out to grow, and we are convinced, with the help of the leadership at Lang, that he will develop into a stronger student and a more positive community member. We could not be more supportive of the mission of Lang. Twice Exceptional kids want to learn and push themselves, but they need a supportive environment. They get both at the Lang School.

Posted October 30, 2013

We would highly recommend Lang to the parents of any child who is high functioning but unable to meet their potential in a traditional classroom environment. We couldn't be more impressed with the hard work and perseverance of the teachers and staff at Lang. And their facilities and curriculum are perfectly suited for children who, like our son, have special needs (ADHD-related in our case) and require a challenging educational environment. Until we found Lang, our son had an extremely difficult time staying engaged in the classroom. Even at an excellent school (Williamsburg Northside) they were unable to handle his inattention. And it got to the point that he was asked to leave his school last year and hated the one he subsequently attended because they were too punitive in response to his inability to sit still and concentrate. But he absolutely adores Lang. And we are extremely happy with their individualized and positive approach to learning and behavior. They have also shown an extraordinary willingness to work with us and our son's doctors to find the right conditions to unlock his potential.

Posted October 30, 2013

My son was diagnosed with having autism, although he's very high-functioning. He entered Lang school this year as a kindergarten (but the class he's in is K-2), and he's really having a very positive experience! He loves doing his HW every night and always has something great to tell us about his day! I know that he's learning new things because if all the things he's able to tell me now about his day!! The staff is very open and loving towards him and us as parents. They even have an approximately monthly support group that's open to all parents of any 2e student, but free for Lang parents. My son already found so many friends there. The only downside I can see is that unfortunately, you need to be able to pay out of pocket or through loans at the beginning of every school year since Lang is not yet an approved school with the DOE. But I've heard that other parents have had great success with getting reimbursed!

Posted October 9, 2013

I'm a current parent who is determined to find another school for my child. Due to lack of experience, the school management is overwhelmed with too many problems. The academics are not bad but the are not great. The school is constantly changing things. There is very little consistency.

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school private mainstream schools
gifted programs
special education programs
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Speech and language impairments
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Engineering

• School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
Clubs
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Yoga club

School start time
  • 8:45 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Micaela Bracamonte
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (212) 977-1047

• Advanced placement courses
  • Classical (e.g., focuses on the "classics")
  • College prep

• Science
  • Special education
  • Technology
  • Visual arts
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • None
  • Remediation
  • Tutoring
Transportation options
  • Passes/tokens for public transportation
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields
  • Industrial shop
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Graphics
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Chess club
  • Drama club
  • Dungeons and Dragons
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Math club
  • Student council/government
  • Yoga club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Apply now

What are your chances?

1 out of 10students were accepted for the 2013-2014 school year.

Students accepted for the 2013-2014 school year
Applications received for the 2013-2014 school year
200
Students typically come from these schools
private mainstream schools
gifted programs
special education programs

What does it cost?

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
mainstream public setttings