No rating

Success Academy Upper West

Charter | K-3 | 249 students

Posted August 11, 2014

My son just completed K at SAUW and so far we are VERY impressed. My child came in reading and being able to do some math, and his teacher went out of her way to keep him busy and engaged. My son loves science every day. He loves block time and recess, art and sports. At the end of the year he was reading at level L and able to do simple multiplication, division and fractions. We honestly believe this school is better than any local public and possibly the district gifted programs as it has the ability to teach each child at his or her own levels in small groups. In addition to the academics, SAUW is doing an amazing job to foster my child's creativity, curiosity and love and excitement about school and learning. The teachers are amazing, caring and enthusiastic. Despite having a traditional approach to discipline, we find the curriculum to be quite progressive with large project-based learning units and frequent field trips. If you are considering the school, I urge you to tour and talk to current parents. We highly recommend SAUW.

Posted August 7, 2014

I Have 4 Children in this School and they constantly tell me things about this School that they have not Said about their previous School.This School severely lacks Creativity on its Educational Process.It seems to want to push out Assembly line students rather than Scholars which it is innapropriately named After.1st opportunity I get I am pulling my Children out and enrolling them in a School that can address their Creative/Educational needs.Besides that,this School Strongly discourages Parent involvement.

Posted August 6, 2014

This school does poorly with inteligent children with special needs. My child was beaten up by other children in this school and although staff witness this, they deny it during a meeting. My child failed at all the tests given in class but when given the opportunity to take the test with special accomodations (after asking for accomodations all year long and finally getting approved on his last test of the year), my child superpassed the class average grade by more than 15%, and still they argued that my child did not need accomodations.

Posted June 27, 2014

The academics at Success Academy Upper West are stellar. Success Academy hires a very specific kind of teacher: enthusiastic, energetic and engaging/lively. Unlike public schools, they have the power to let teachers who do not meet their standards go. The longer school day packs much more education into the academic year (more in four days than public schools teach per week). Lastly: STEM education is like nothing else in the public or private school system. In public and private elementary schools (including schools with a science focus and/or accelerated curriculum), science is considered a 'special' subject taught periodically (e.g. weekly) to older children. At Success Academy it is a core subject taught by a science teacher daily, hands-on, featuring data collection and analysis -- beginning in kindergarten. Many parents find daily experimental science instruction to be quite forward-thinking. And playing scientist every day has wild appeal for children. There are long wait lists for Success Academy Upper West which attest to the appeal of the school for UWS parents. Our son is thriving in this rigorous school. We only wish we could get our older son in as well!

Posted May 28, 2014

Generally we have been happy with the school. The focus on academics is impressive. However there are a few areas where the policies go overboard in the pursuit of an orderly classroom. The teachers spend a lot of time correcting behaviors that are not disruptive to the learning environment. For example, students are required to keep their hands in their laps while listening to the teacher. Touching your face or other self-comforting actions are not allowed. Student are afforded precious little time to choose their own activity (clearly there's recess, but even that can be directed activities). As far as I know there's never a time when the students can selcect their own classroom activity, whether it be reading, drawing, math, etc. students are really are really never allowed to move freely around the classroom. Even during dance party breaks they must remain at their desks. All of these things may appear minor, but the bigger issue is that most of these things are the result of network-wide policies. And network-wide policies are not up for debate. From the principal on down the party line is "that's just how it is".

Posted April 18, 2014

Upper West Success is a godsend for us. My son is thriving at the school. I could not be more pleased. The staff from the Leadership on down is professional and committed to providing the best possible education for the scholars. While we had the opportunity to attend another great school we were pleased to be accepted. We attended the open House and never looked back.

Posted March 24, 2014

My son is in K at SAUW. We couldn't have been more thrilled. We were nervous about having him in K since he is on the younger side, but he has completely blossomed. In addition to the constant feedback we get from the teachers and the random phone calls to thank me for our diligence with our son, we get many assessments all year long so I know how he's doing. His teachers are caring, attentive, and loving. My son has developed a sense of pride in his work. We also love that the school is so diverse in every meaning of the word, yet every family has the same goal: a great education for their child! It's a unifying theme. We couldn't be happier to have our older son there and look forward to registering our younger son when he gets to K.

Posted January 31, 2014

We love this school. We have struggled a bit with the long day and my kindergartener is not always capable of listening throughout the day, but we have no doubts about how happy he is and how much he is learning. It is very exciting to hear about his enthusiasm for science, reading and all of his teachers. I sometimes worry that it is all just too much for the kids, but he keeps telling me that I am wrong and that they have lots of chances to have fun during the day at recess (2 times), sports, art, assemblies, field trips, and random times where they play dance party or sing together. I feel very fortunate to be able to send my child to this school to get a great education in a great setting, rather than at his zoned school (that is nearly failing).

Posted January 29, 2014

There may be more than 25 students per class, but there are also two teachers assigned to the class, a lead teacher and an assistant teacher. What the poster below fails to mention is that the students are usually instructed in much smaller groups (in separate rooms) for reading (based on their level) and math, where the ratio is usually 5-7 students per teacher. Also, the students have specials--such as science, blocks, chess, sports and art--every day in well apportioned rooms. All the classrooms are clean, organized and bright. The school environment is safe, orderly and nurturing, which is very conducive to learning!

Posted January 25, 2014

The classes are huge, about 30 kids, and the teachers are very inexperienced. Furthermore, the principal took a class the DOE gave the school for a kindergarten class and made it her office. Then put 30 kinder kids on what used to be her office, a tiny space about 1/3 as big as what the class should have been. Not the sign of a principal who puts the kids first.

Posted September 27, 2013

My son has blossomed here in Kindergarten. When he comes home, his mind is always working out something they did at school. This school one of the most professionally run entities I've encountered, public or private. SA-UW is truly diverse in all senses, economically and ethnically, rather than just paying lip service to diversity, which was the case in most neighboring schools we visited. The families of all backgrounds are super nice. The rules that the kids have to follow seem silly at times to the parents, but the kids seem to respond to them very well. They stress hard work more than talent, which is already rubbing off on my son in the right way.

Posted August 1, 2013

So happy with this school. Moved our daughter from a private school and couldnt be more impressed with the quality of education. She is confident, happy and thriving. School expects a lot of but gives it back tenfold and has completely changed all my views on education theory and what makes kids succeed. Emphasizes core values like character and no shortcuts and tecahes accountability at a young age. We are looking forward to our son attending next year and know this school is giving our daughter the best possible start.

Posted June 16, 2013

WE LOVE UWSA.... I moved my daughter from a traditional public school to UWSA for the 2012-2013 school year. The curriculum is great and challenging. The school culture promotes strong values, the teachers are responsive and know my daughter's strengths and areas of development! I love that the school provides a level of structure that other schools lack! Great school. We are looking forward to the 2013-2014 school year!

Posted March 13, 2013

I love this school! My son is happy and excited to go every day. The curriculum is outstanding. I have an older child that attends a private school and we will be removing him if space is available to UWS. The level of education and teacher involvement at UWS outshines anything that we have seen to date.

Posted October 2, 2012

Yet again, we've had nothing but an absolutely wonderful experience thus far at Upper West. Our second grade daughter loves science 5 days a week, her reading is off the charts and she ran around in circles jumping up and down with excitement about joining the chess team. She recently wrote a "persuasive" letter to Mayor Bloomberg that was an amazing exercise for her (and quite funny to us). Her teachers and the staff are warm and welcoming and we can schedule conferences at any time. We've also been thrilled with the diversity of the school in all respects. Our daughter's class (typical of the entire school) is approximately one-third white, one-third black and one-third Latino. There is also an incredible degree of socio-economic diversity and about 15-20% of her class has special needs (an issue we're sensitive to as our older son is special needs). These are some of the reasons why we pulled her out of private school to attend Upper West. We look forward to another great year at Upper West!

Posted September 12, 2012

Success Academy Upper West is a phenomenal school! My daughter has received the highest level of education a school can offer. There is always an open door to come in to the classroom to observe and the teachers always make time to talk to parents.

Hispanic 1 36% 23%

Master's degree and above 30%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 0%N/A0%
Source: NYSED, 2011-2012
The NYC Department of Education asked parents, teachers and students about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, safe, communicative and collaborative. Learn more

The information captured by the survey is designed to support a dialogue among all members of the school community about how to make the school a better place to learn. An overall category score is calculated for each respondent group (parents, teachers, or students) by averaging the scores of the questions within that survey category.

Category scores for each of the respondent groups are then combined to form overall category scores. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all NYC public schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the NYC DOE survey »Close
Based on 150 responses

This school provides ... 1

A safe and respectful environmentWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school creates a physically and emotionally secure environment in which everyone can focus on student learning.

8.0

9.2

8.4

8.8

8.0

Clear, useful communication about educational goalsWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school provides information about the school's educational goals and offers appropriate feedback on each student's learning outcome.

8.9

9.2

8.5

8.6

7.8

Strong parent, teacher and student engagementWhat's this?

This score measures how engaged parents, students and teachers feel they are in an active and vibrant partnership to promote student learning.

8.6

7.8

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures how well parents, students and teachers feel that the school develops rigorous and meaningful academic goals that encourage students to do their best.

8.8

RespondentsResponse rate
Parents12960%
Teachers2191%

12012-2013 New York City Department of Education School Survey

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

145 West 84th Street