The High School of Fashion Industries

Public | 9-12 | 1596 students

Posted May 27, 2014

My daughter is a freshman at this school and there are always girl fights in the hallway. There is not enough adult supervision and consequences for fighting. There are videos on social media showing these fights that the students put up. The deans do mediations that get no where because they take no actions on students who threaten and fight. Keep your kid safe don't send them to this school, it's like a women's jail.

Posted December 3, 2013

I am a 10th grade student attending this high school. This is my second year here and i am planning to stay here; for all four years. My exprience in this school was absolutly wonderful. Yes, the school has a lot of drama and because we are somewhat limited to our male population (meaning there aren't a lot of guys here), girls do go crazy for the boys that we do have. But not all girls are like that. The fights in our school rarely happen now-a-days. Our school, teachers do pay attention to their students and offer tutoring if we need extra help. Overall the education you get in this school (or you get in any other school) depends on one thing: You. So if you realllllly want to study fashion or be in the fashion industry, then I advise you to audition and come to the school. I have met so many great people here and he teachers are nice. Teachers do not be disrespectful to other teachers or peers otherwise the student is being disrespectful. Fashion also has a great variety of clubs you can join or create. I'm telling you, this is one amazing school and a great exprience for a high school student. So I hope you take my advice and give Fashion a chance.

Posted October 25, 2013

I'm new there but so far I think it's cool. I wish the teachers were a little more helpful at times because yes the work is hard and because of the they criticize your work by the way they think it should. A lot of the staff are nice and the principal is very considerate.

Posted September 9, 2013

I graduated from fashion in 2006, most kids think that the world is supposed to be handed to them, that's not the case. Work hard and pay attention and this school can be the beginning to a very productive and successful career. There's no other place like fashion, and if you are lucky enough to attend this school, you've already set yourself up ahead of your competition, it's all up to you take the tools handed to you, and do as you please with them.

Posted April 4, 2013

My School is the worse school in my opinon. They don't care about students. They pretend to care, you barely get help from teachers. Teachers are disrespectful to students. The Deans barely handle the fights. Security guards always arrive late when its a fight. The deans put bad word on students to other students parent. Teachers curse at Students. They say they this and that but when you in the school, they a big dissapointment. They're not what they say they are

Posted March 9, 2010

I am a freahman at fashion industries high school, and being at this school is very dissopointing. This school is very misleading and depressing to be in. The student here are very rude and disrespectful to teachers and peers. The teachers dont offer enough help to students who are struggling in there classes, and they basically dont care. Since there are ten floors in this school the over 1,000 students that attend fashion can only use three elevators thats constantly getting stuck everyday. Its very boring here, and this school is not really big on extracurricular activites. Im trying really hard to transfer this year. My advice to people who are looking to come here please do more research on this school before you try to attend. Most freshman that attend here always transfer. This school is really not as glamorous as it sounds. please take my advice!

Posted December 6, 2009

this school is really great.i really want to get into fashion and im in 7th grade.i love this school witha passion!!!

Posted September 14, 2009

I am currently a 10th grader in this school and a straight A student, take my word. The only real good education you'll get in this school is Global. The students are rude and teachers rarely help. Most students fail and students don't really get any choice. I do not reccomend this school and I am trying to transfer. It is not safe, people are always late, and they'll basically do anything to start a fight. They put me in classes I took in 7th and 8th grade and never helped me change it. I'm looking to go to NYU and I need my credits and I'm not really getting anything.

Posted June 27, 2009

this highschool has turned out to be one of the best highschools that has ever been made. They recently accepted my daughter and she loves this school because not only does she feel safe but also comfortable. I reccomend this highschool to who ever is interested in fashion.

Posted September 17, 2008

I was excited for my daughter when she started last year however, this school has turned out to be extremely disappointing for both of us. It is dirty, overcrowded, the students are frequently disrespectful to teachers and other students. I do not feel she is getting a good education here, to no fault of the teachers. It amazes me that this is supposedly one of the best schools in the country according to Fashion's website! I think parents really need to get together and see what we can do to address these issues this year, or it is only going to get worse.

Posted September 5, 2008

As a junior in this school now, i notice the school seems to be going down hill from when I was a freshman. they took out math a and i have no idea what they did to it. the floors are filthy and its only the first week. i think the staff has to limit the number of freshman and sophomores they admit because now we can barely walk down the stairs with out getting into a fight. -jm - art major and junior of fashion industries

Posted September 3, 2008

I nam currently a student here and I've been thinking to transfer to another school since freshmen year. I am now a sophmore and i recommned this school if you are really interested in Art, Fashion, and Merchandising. I personally think that this school needs more cultural diversity and lacks the education that other students recieve in other schools. This school is behind in academic wise, for example while a regular public high school teaches 'Math A,' this school still teaches Integrated Algebra. When I was a freshmen, I was sitting in class when a fight broke out in front of my eyes. I never thought this would have happened. The teacher didn't realize the situation until I told her what was going on. She called the security but it took 20 minutes for them to get up upstairs. I know that the freshmens this year want to transfer out.

Posted April 30, 2007

Being a former student of fashion industries (class of 2003) I can certainly say that this school posses great qualities that are projected through its course work, teachers, faculty and student alike. It is a creative school that teaches you indiviuality while also promoting teamwork, teachers are encouraging and posses the skill to open one's mind. There are great extracurricular activities and overall it is a safe school, which I know is very important to parents.

Posted September 19, 2006

My daughter is a freshman this year and I must say that I was hesitant about her attending a school that seemed have a sole focused on just Fashion. But, since I have spoken with some of the faculty and taken a tour, I saw that the faculty was interested in answering all my questions as a concerned mother. I was able to observe the students and saw talented teenagers with a decent level of maturity. My child has come home for the past few weeks happy that she is making friends and enjoying some of her teachers. This comforts me as a mother. As of today, I do believe that Fashion is an excellent choice for her creative talents, as well as her academic development, which is my concern, I want her to be well rounded, and feel comfortable that she will be able to maintain academic excellence as well!

Posted September 18, 2006

The high school of fashion, is a very well organized.I feel confident in sending my daughter to school there. They have lots of programs & are willing to help in any way they can! They are more invovled then any other high school I've heard about! They keep you in touch with everything! They send everything through the mail, rather then waiting for you child to remember to give it to you! i would recommend this school to anyone who has an interest in it!

Posted May 1, 2006

great school...the system is really great and my child comes home with a smile on her face every day!

Posted April 8, 2005

I am not exactly a parent but I am a student that used to attend that school. I was there for freshman and sophomore year until I recently moved. The school is very conforting and the people there are very respectful. I enjoyed that school alot and I would really like to go back. Right now I am at Warren County High school in Norht Carolina and it is nothing compared th Fashion Industries. I have learn so much about Fashion that I have nevr knew. My major was fashion Merchandising and I have learned so much about window displays and alot of other things. I was also interested in Fashion Design so I decided to study a little bit of that. I plan on going to the college in Manhattan when I graduate in 2006 to continue on with the career that I want. Be all you can be.

Posted December 20, 2004

I attended Fashion from 1999-2003, and I must say the experiences I had their greatly contributed to the confidant, independent person I am today. I attend a performing arts college and everything I began at Fashion has helped in my artistic development now. I'd greatly recommend it for any student interested in art, fashion art or fashion design. The teachers are great, the curriculum is great, and the experience is unforgetable.

Posted August 5, 2004

I attend the school now and it has helped me alot with improving my art skills. The teachers have very good people skills. I love the school it's very diverse and you have a chance to involve yourself with many different cultures.

Posted May 22, 2004

I was a former student at this school. I believe the education here was outstanding. The teachers were great and got involved with the students progress. The after school programs were all great. The diversity in the school was simply outstanding. I was able to get to interact with different cultures and races. Overall I loved the school. I still do.

Algebra II/Trigonometry

The state average for Algebra II/Trigonometry was 66% in 2013.

413 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 76% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 72% in 2013.

386 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English

The state average for English was 77% in 2013.

397 students were tested at this school in 2013.

French

The state average for French was 95% in 2011.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 74% in 2013.

604 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Global History and Geography

The state average for Global History and Geography was 71% in 2013.

479 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Algebra

The state average for Integrated Algebra was 73% in 2013.

737 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Italian

The state average for Italian was 98% in 2011.

Living Environment

The state average for Living Environment was 77% in 2013.

565 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

Spanish

The state average for Spanish was 94% in 2011.

185 students were tested at this school in 2011.

U.S. History and Government

The state average for U.S. History and Government was 80% in 2013.

443 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 New York used the New York State Regents Examinations to test high school students in English, math, global history and geography, US history and government, living environment, chemistry, Earth science and physics. Students must take at least five Regents Exams in order to graduate. Scores of 65 and above are passing; scores of 55 and above earn credit toward a local diploma (with the approval of the local board of education). The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Source: New York State Education Department

General population93%
Proficient in English90%
Non-migrant88%
Scale: % passing

The different student groups are identified by the New York Department of Education. If there are fewer than 5 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: New York State Education Department

In 2009-2010, this school was given a grade of "A" for the high school level.

Progress Report Grades measure the school's contribution to student learning in three areas: School Environment, Student Performance and Student Progress. Schools can receive additional credit for achieving exemplary performance progress among high-needs students. Progress Report Grades range from A to F.

Source: New York City Department of Education

Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Advanced placement courses
The NYC Department of Education asked parents, teachers and students about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, safe, communicative and collaborative. Learn more

The information captured by the survey is designed to support a dialogue among all members of the school community about how to make the school a better place to learn. An overall category score is calculated for each respondent group (parents, teachers, or students) by averaging the scores of the questions within that survey category.

Category scores for each of the respondent groups are then combined to form overall category scores. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all NYC public schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the NYC DOE survey »Close
Based on 2024 responses

This school provides ... 1

A safe and respectful environmentWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school creates a physically and emotionally secure environment in which everyone can focus on student learning.

7.9

8.4

8.5

8.0

Clear, useful communication about educational goalsWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school provides information about the school's educational goals and offers appropriate feedback on each student's learning outcome.

8.6

8.5

6.6

8.7

7.8

Strong parent, teacher and student engagementWhat's this?

This score measures how engaged parents, students and teachers feel they are in an active and vibrant partnership to promote student learning.

7.0

8.4

7.8

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures how well parents, students and teachers feel that the school develops rigorous and meaningful academic goals that encourage students to do their best.

8.3

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Busses - M1, M11, M14AD, M20, M23, M34A-SBS, M34-SBS, M4, M5, M7. Subways - A, L to 14th St-8th Av; 1, C, E, F, M to 23rd St; N, R to 28th St; 2, 3 to 34th St - Penn Station; B, D, Q to 34th St-Herald Square
  • Passes/tokens for public transportation