Jhs 104 Simon Baruch

Public | 6-8 & ungraded | 1057 students

Posted May 23, 2014

This is the worst school ever!!! My child was bullied when he first got there he got jump and none of the kids got in trouble. Now it is his last year and my son gets suspended for defending him self. My son went from being in the talented and gifted program to failing his all his classes. But if he played basketball they would have made sure he passed his classes. Why do you need to play ball for the school to actually get help?

Posted April 5, 2014

Simon Baruch Middle school is an excellent school with teachers who are experienced, professional and care.

Posted January 21, 2014

My daughter started here in 7th grade. She studied things she had previously studied at Epiphany but she was ok w/that. She was put in the SP program which we were happy abt. There are so many Asians at this school, it's amazing! I guess the Tiger moms want their kids in SP? Anyway, she's made lots of friends and is excelling. She struggles in math but the teacher is always there in the morning to tutor her. She hears "language" but it's the age I spose. Overall, she says she likes it and the kids don't fight and the teachers are really nice. The drama teacher plays favorites unfortunately but the Drama Dept. is a godsend considering most schools lack this. There is ample notice when my child is falling below the mark in grades. A letter is sent home promptly FOR AN 85! So I feel as a parent, the school is organized, good teachers who really care and sweet students.

Posted December 31, 2013

MATH teachers are not helping students - MOST ARE FAILING. Beware of Math here. bad bad bad. No one helps kids in this subject and kids are failing. No one cares.

Posted August 22, 2013

My child transferred to M.S 104 in the 7th grade. Overall it was a very good experience for both of us.I felt the parents I met in the PA were both welcoming and helpful. While my child has mentioned some fights in the school, fortunately she not been a victim. I feel the teachers were available to both of us when we reached out, emails were returned the same day. If my child or I requested additional help teachers responded positively. I think the principal is pretty amazing. I was surprised that she personally met with me when my child entered the school. I am surprised by the comment from the AA recent grad, that has not been our experience. Why only 4 stars? Five stars would mean they are perfect just the way they are an no school is perfect, but it has been a very good place for our family.

Posted August 14, 2013

I HATED Simon Baruch Middle School with every fiber of my being. I would give this school a 0 out 5 if I could but I have to give the school at least one star. I HATED IT SO MUCH. Everyone there is racist, fake and straight up mean. If you are Black, DO NOT go there. Even one there was mean to me and I was talked about behind my back. Also, the faculty will not help you. I was able to get into a good high school because my own persistence not because the teachers were great. A lot of them wouldn't even fill out my recommendation forms. The people there are so racist and A LOT of them DO NOT LIKE BLACK PEOPLE AND THEY THINK WE'RE ALL STUPID. So of course when I was in an SP class a lot of the people there were surprised that I got some of the best grades in the class. Going to Simon Baruch Middle School was the worst decision I have ever made in my whole life. I came to that school an innocent child and I left as a person who had experienced firsthand how cruel people can be. I am making it my mission to warn people about this school. But for many of the people who are already there, it is too late. However, if you still end up going to this school, remember to stay true to yourself

Posted August 8, 2013

This school is not the best but I loved it. The people I met were great and it was very sad to leave. The teachers actually help and explain the work to you and when your on the lines of failing they still won't give up on you. But the students some are really crazy as of fights there were not that much in school out of school was another story but they punished them. To tell you the truth I loved this school they had great activities I loved volleyball and track the most. Also their party's were so fun to go to and just dance and prom was amazing so hopefully whoever goes has as much fun as I did.

Posted June 23, 2013

This school is WONDERFUL! I have had two children graduate from Baruch, and go on to great high schools where they were prepared with a solid foundation for academic success. And at Baruch they also got to study and create art with a marvelous art teacher, to perform in an outstanding school play with a talented director and drama teacher, to inquire into the scientific process with authenticity, to celebrate their creativity in the ceramics club, and to play sports with great teammates and coaches. This school is a happy, disciplined place and the faculty and administrators are caring and involved with the students. Every time I approached an administrator for help they were immediately available and ready with a solution from the principal on down. I thoroughly recommend Simon Baruch middle school.

Posted May 15, 2013

This school is awful. The kids are rowdy, violent and fight. I don't think there is a day where a fight doesn't happen in this school. The kids are always yelling, screaming, shoving and curseing. The school has 20+ surveillance cameras and the administration watches them like hawks as if its a prison. The police have been called to the school more than four times this year (2013) and I certainly do not recommend this school.

Posted April 26, 2013

Just had to respond after viewing recent parent post (4/26). Worst example of public school? Rude/ridiculous students? Is this irate individual speaking about MS104? I have two children attended/attending this school - I cannot disagree more with accusations/assessment. Nothing is perfect, however I do find the school clean, orderly, and endowed with wonderful space (large yard, newly refurb. auditorium, large gym, sci lab, ceramics classroom. The teachers my children had/have are enthusiastic, active, and truly interested in student performance/learning. The children I interfaced with as friends of my children and in school have been fine.

Posted April 25, 2013

This school has potential.. but most of the kids there are rude and are RIDICULOUS. They're the worst example of a public school.

Posted November 4, 2012

This school lacks a proper education system I am currently in this school and find myself learning subjects that I have already learned in elementary school. This is a horrible school DO NOT GO HERE.

Posted April 21, 2012

i love this school it is a great school.my son is learning so much new things

Posted March 1, 2012

great school, sure wish it went all the way to 12th grade, my kid graduates this year, has had a wonderful experience here, made lots of friends, teachers are great, offers drama, music, art, ceramics, spanish, french, track, basketball, P.E. etc. along with your basic subjects. I would send my kid here all over again if I had to, no regrets here.

Posted September 3, 2011

it is a very good school. i love it. i recommend it to other parents.

Posted June 7, 2011

Today I got my yearbook, the markings that I am a senior. I love this school and the Drama Club. It had opened up new oppurtinites and gave me a reason to do well. The teachers are helpful and caring, the students are supportive and we have our laughs. I'm going to miss this school when I move on to Brooklyn Tech next year. I'm going to miss the teachers, students of '11, and Drama Club of Grease -Afro Samurai

Posted May 26, 2011

Simon Baruch was a horrible experience for me. I know it has changed me for the worse. Everywhere you look, kids are tormenting each other, while most of the teachers just turn the other cheek. I'm EXTREMELY happy that I graduated and am out of that place no longer having to go back. DO NOT PUT YOUR CHILD HERE! Trust me you'll regret it.~student

Posted April 7, 2011

i graduated from baruch last year and i think my friends and i would agree we had a great tim ethere and it really prepared me for high school. i just dont like ms.goldstein she has a problem with being rude and thinks shes the boss.. but other than that its great and boys never harrased the girls unless they asked for it.

Posted March 4, 2011

I am a former teacher at Simon Baruch, I had the extreme, thankfully brief, displeasure of working with the "new crop" of teachers that have recently taken over . This may sound harsh, but I cannot understand why so many individuals that obviously can't stand children and have no work ethic whatsoever decided to become teachers. Thanks to its teachers, Simon Baruch is now among the saddest of examples of where this country s entire public education system is headed. If you care at all about your child, you cannot allow the system to place them in Simon Baruch. I ALSO KNOW FIRST HAND THAT A GREAT MANY OF THE GOOD REVIEWS WRITTEN ABOUT THIS SCHOOL ON THIS SITE WERE WRITTEN BY THE SCHOOL ADMINISTRATION.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 4, 2011

This is the worst school ever. My daughter has been attacked and beaten several times by boys here, AND NO ONE WILL DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. Advice: IF YOU SEND YOUR KID HERE, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GREAT HEALTH INSURANCE AND A GREAT LAWYER. The teachers and principals act like you don't even exist.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 30% in 2013.

308 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 30% in 2013.

311 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the New York State Department of Instruction implemented new assessments designed to be aligned with the Common Core State Standards. The new standards for proficiency in these subjects are higher than in previous years and the percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change. See this letter from New York's Commissioner of Education for more information on these changes.

In 2012-2013 New York used the New York State Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in Science. The tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New York. The goal is for 90% of students to meet or exceed grade-level standards on the tests.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 31% in 2013.

348 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 27% in 2013.

354 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 33% in 2013.

326 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 27% in 2013.

325 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

322 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students47%

English language learners65%
Proficient in English64%
Non-migrant64%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the New York Department of Education. If there are fewer than 5 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students53%

English language learners44%
Proficient in English88%
Non-migrant86%

Source: New York State Education Department

In 2009-2010, this school was given a grade of "B" for the middle school level.

Progress Report Grades measure the school's contribution to student learning in three areas: School Environment, Student Performance and Student Progress. Schools can receive additional credit for achieving exemplary performance progress among high-needs students. Progress Report Grades range from A to F.

Source: New York City Department of Education

Master's degree and above 29%N/A39%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with no valid teaching certificate 2%N/A0%
Source: NYSED, 2011-2012
The NYC Department of Education asked parents, teachers and students about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, safe, communicative and collaborative. Learn more

The information captured by the survey is designed to support a dialogue among all members of the school community about how to make the school a better place to learn. An overall category score is calculated for each respondent group (parents, teachers, or students) by averaging the scores of the questions within that survey category.

Category scores for each of the respondent groups are then combined to form overall category scores. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all NYC public schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the NYC DOE survey »Close
Based on 1883 responses

This school provides ... 1

A safe and respectful environmentWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school creates a physically and emotionally secure environment in which everyone can focus on student learning.

7.5

8.4

7.1

7.5

8.0

Clear, useful communication about educational goalsWhat's this?

This score measures whether parents, students and teachers feel that the school provides information about the school's educational goals and offers appropriate feedback on each student's learning outcome.

7.6

8.5

7.3

7.8

Strong parent, teacher and student engagementWhat's this?

This score measures how engaged parents, students and teachers feel they are in an active and vibrant partnership to promote student learning.

7.4

7.3

7.8

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures how well parents, students and teachers feel that the school develops rigorous and meaningful academic goals that encourage students to do their best.

8.2

Teachers69100%

12012-2013 New York City Department of Education School Survey

• MS. ROSEMARIE GAETANI

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

330 E 21st St