No rating

Sacred Heart Of Jesus School

Private | PK-8 | 65 students

We are best known for commitment to excellence.

Living in New York

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $895,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,110.

Posted October 8, 2013

My 4 year old daughter was having a hard adjusting to UPK so I decided to change her school and enrolled her at Sacred Heart of Jesus School and from day one she loved it! As a parent you care for your kids safety and you get that as soon as you arrive since you have to be buzzed in to enter the school. Than the enthusiastic greeting from the front office to the morning greetings from the teachers. Her teacher Ms. Christina was very loving and sweet that she immediately felt welcomed and stayed. Then when I picked my daughter up on the first day, she was happy and stated that she liles her new school. Now she even says she loves her school. Every morning she wakes up looking forward to going to school. Also, the school keep the parents informed from sending weekly letters by te school and teachers. The school also offers opportunities for parents to volunteer and for kids to be able to participate in weekly activities. I just love that we feel welcomed at school and that my daughter can feel its like home.

Posted September 12, 2011

SHJS is a wonderful school! The principle is very engaged with the students and the parents. She is very smart and sharp! This school has made great improvements since she came on board a few years ago. The teachers at Sacred Heart really care about the children and they challenge them academically on a daily basis. However, the children appreciate the challenge and enjoy learning rather than see it as a burden. How many schools do you know who can pull that off? My son loves SHJS and his Dad and I do too. Class sizes are smaller than in neighboring schools and the school staff knows all the kids by first name. It an amazing learning community and I am blessed that my child is a part of it.

Posted May 30, 2010

As a former student, I am shocked at the positive reviews. When I attended the teachers were horrible and rarely, if ever, actually taught. And I'm 100% certain that almost every teacher working there now was there when I attended. The teachers have no idea how to take control of their students and they have no idea how to properly discipline. The building itself was always infested with rodents and other pests. I wouldn't give this school any stars, but apparently you have to.

Posted September 22, 2009

My children have just started their third year at this school and we continue to be happy with our decision to enroll them here. Our children enjoy going to school and are developing a great sense of respect towards others and a wonderful sense of ethics. Although the extra-curricular activities are lacking, the Principal is always eager to make changes necessary to provide a better quality of well-rounded education for the children. I would highly recommend this school to parents who wish to have their children continously challenged in their academic life.

Posted March 6, 2009

I left Holy Cross and enrolled my children into Sacred Heart. It was a hard decision at first considering I loved the teachers at holy Cross. But It was the best decision I made. The work is a bit harder but they are doing well. The ladies that work in the office are great. The Prinicipal is great as well. I feel that my children are safe while at school.

Posted March 4, 2009

Sacred Heart of Jesus School (SHJS) is a wonderful school with a safe and nurturing environment. The academics are rigorous compared to public school and the students appear to take pleasure in learning. The teachers, staff and the Principal Ms. Beale, are very committed to the school and care about each student. Mrs. Beale is supportive and can usually resolve any school and/or student related issue and the teachers are supportive and communicative as well. Our child is a second grader and has been at SHJS for two years. He continues to excel in his academic subjects and is developing into a more confident and respectful individual. Due to financial problems stemming from the current economic crisis, we recently withdrew our child and enrolled him in public school. Our child did not adjust well - he missed the nurturing atmosphere, the challenging academics as well as friends, teachers and everyone at SHJS. Mrs. Beale and SHJS worked with our situation and welcomed our child back warmly and our child is delighted to be back. SHJS is amazing --we highly recommend this school!

Posted February 13, 2009

I have two children attending this school. This is their third year. Both have excelled in respect and grades. The school makes sure to let you know each time issues arise. As a single working mother I am a complete ease knowing each day both my kids will be respected, taught and taken care of by excellent staff. I highly recommend it to any parent trying to get back into working full time with a pre-k age child.

Posted November 20, 2008

My son graduated last year from SHJS. I am very satisffied with the education he received. Now he is a First Honor student at La Salle Academy. The Principal and staff really care about each student. I recommend this school highly.

Posted November 3, 2008

I am a new parent to a PreK-4 student for 2008-2009. The principal, Mrs. Beale, is wonderful. She definately makes time for parents and works hard to ensure the educational experience is stellar. Initially, there were a few minor 'hiccups' in the beginning of the year that concerend me, but once I managed my expectations differently, I am more relaxed and happy. My son is doing extremely well and so far, there are no problems. I've established an excellent communication system with the new teacher and assistant teacher. Therefore, I would recommend this school for the PreK levels, for I cannot comment on the upper grades.

Posted September 29, 2008

Small class sizes, very close-knit environment, but some teachers need to be more communicative.

Posted September 24, 2008

The positive thing about this school is everyone knows one another which is important to me. Everyone knows one another. Now for the negatives, I realize the tuition is not that high, but parents still spend money on fundraisers and other fees, last year the kids in my childs grade and other grades went on no trips. There are also a lack of extracurricular activities. My child is bored with this school... I would only recommend for grades below 2nd grade.

Posted July 30, 2008

The School has a new look, it was just painted and all the fllors were waxed. There is one class per grade and the teachers are very caring. This school offeres Open House several times a year. The Principal is an excellent leader of the school, Always happy and smiling. It offers new technology, Art, Music, Physical Education, a huge up to date Library, two science labs, one for the younger students and one for the older students.

Posted June 25, 2008

My grandchildren came from P.S. 111 and struggled a little. They have progressed beyond my expectations. Even though it is much harder than public school, the overall work ethic and learning experience has far exceeded my expectations. I do wish that the teacher would interact with family in a better manner. I realize they are working without a contract but sometimes, you just need to talk to them and it is very difficult to get them to respond to your emails. The principal and office are great.

Posted February 20, 2008

I was very disappointed with the school. When registering my daughter for school we were told so many things that they felt we wanted to hear. Unfortunately they were all lies starting with the m=number of children in pre- k 4 (33) with one teacher and one aid. This was outrageous we were told the first day of school to give them 2 weeks they had a mistakingly enrolled too many children and only had one prek-4 class. Well we are now in Feb. 2008 and the class continues to have 33 children. The teacher is kind and caring but there is no way they can give each child the attention they need and deserve.We pay tuition to have our children in this school and no one cares or does anything about it My daughter will not be attending this school in the fall.. Angry Parent

Posted November 2, 2007

This is a good school! The teachers care about the children and the academics are pretty rigorous. I'd love to see more extra curricular activities. Gym is great but more agree with the parent that stated the need for More arts and creative expression'. I would recommend the school.

Posted September 26, 2007

This school is below par, in comparison to other schools on the Upper East Side. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Posted September 17, 2007

The school is great since I enrolled my son a year and half ago his academic performance has progressed incredibly. The teachers are great and the school maintains its small school family like qualities, the new principal has been great. The only things that can improve are having some sort of homework help during after school, and more extra curricular activities for the kids to get involved in. Instead of sitting around the cafeteria waiting for their parents to show up. More arts and creative expression. But overall this school has been very worth our while, and my son couldn't be happier.

Posted July 14, 2007

This school is excellent. The new Pre-K3 program has the greatest of teachers. They work with the childred to achieve the best results.

Posted January 4, 2007

This school is wonderful! Its' Pre-K3 program (for children 3 yrs of age) allowed me to keep my children together in the same school. The afterschool program is very convenient thanks to its late hours (open until 6PM) which allows for ample time to pick up your children when you work late. The new Principal's leadership is completely extraordinary, she is very much involved in parents' feedback on how to better improve the school and maintain an excellent quality of education.

Posted August 12, 2005

The teachers at this school are great. They have been teaching for a long time and you can tell that they are experienced at what they do. The school is also getting a new principle so I am not sure what the administration will be like this fall but they seem to have it together.

Two or more races 7% N/A
Asian 4% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Tagalog
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Arts & music

• Spanish
  • Tagalog

Health & athletics

• Gym

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Noelle Beale
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (212) 707-8382

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer
  • Gym
  • Library
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New York