St. Stephen of Hungary School

Private | PK-8 | 261 students

St. Stephen School educates the whole child in a warm, nurturing environment.

Living in New York

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $999,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,110.

Sweep tile

Posted September 20, 2013

I am impressed! My daughter is in kindergarten here, and her teacher is amazingly poised and caring. The parents very involved in making the school the best it can be, and the principal and staff are top notch. I feel so lucky to be a part of this school, and i think my daughter is really going to thrive here.

Posted May 11, 2013

St. Stephen's supersedes our expectations. We started at the school two years ago thinking we would leave the city after Pre-Kindergarten. St. Stephen is the reason we we are staying in the city. We cannot imagine being part of any other community. It is truly warm, nurturing and caring. I know each and every teacher and administrator cares about my son and daughter. The teachers have always gone above and beyond to communicate concerns and help us to be involved in our son's academic life. He is in PK and he is already reading. We are looking forward to Kindergarten next year and know we will forever feel grateful to have found St. Stephen of Hungary School.

Posted February 4, 2013

My children currently attend St. Stephens , and as much as I want to say many great things - my jury is still out. It appears the Schools recent success of publicity and waiting list status is changing the culture from when I attended my 1st open house ( From we are thrilled to have you in our 21st century nurturing environment to - here is how its going to be old school Catholic School attitude ) It also seems that family's are being rated on their fund raising ability in lieu of substance and participation. There also seems to be a shift of leadership from current principal to the assistant principal which would also change the culture greatly. The family's are wonderful , the feeling of community is absolutely there and the potential for this school to be unique is also here. However like all things that grow to fast - attention is sometimes not focused in the right areas . Growing pains are great but lack of attention to whats important is not. Hopefully the growing pains wont last long.

Posted January 29, 2013

As we were preparing to enroll our son in his 3rd year at St. Stephen of Hungary, Mrs. Peck told us about a new program they were starting for 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 year olds. This was a perfect fit for our family. Our daughter is attending the St. Stephen of Hungary Early Birds Program and is benefiting from the same nurturing, talented and dedicated staff as her brother. We are thrilled to know that she will be continuing on in September at "The Big School". As we watch our son and daughter grow and learn every day, we realize that we have found something very special at SSH. We look forward to helping our children develop strong relationships within their school community. SSH is the environment where they can develop as an individual, as a part of the community, maintain friendships, and so much more while keeping with Christian values and traditions. We as a family feel the warmth of the entire SSH school community, from the school-wide morning prayers and pledge to the extra-curricular events and programs offered. We are truly blessed to be part of the St. Stephen of Hungary Community.

Posted December 28, 2012

I took my 2 year old DD for an admission playdate last month. First she separated well but then started crying once in the room with the school teachers and other kids. So one of the teachers just sent my daughter back (which is fine) but I was told they would call me back to reschedule the assessment IF THEY ARE STILL INTERESTED. They never did. Yet still took $200 application fees.

Posted October 18, 2012

We have been going to St. Stephen for the last three years and have nothing but amazing things to say. The teachers and administration are always willing to hear our suggestions and support my son as an individual. They allow the students to be kids allowing them to go outside at recess and run around and play. They have a large indoor auditorium in which physical education takes place. After school my son takes fencing and soccer. I couldn't be happier with all that it has to offer our son.

Posted November 23, 2011

Warm, nurturing, academic and caring are the first words that come to mind about St. Stephen of Hungary School. I am thrilled with the school's ability to challenge my child using small group instruction. I just had my parent teacher conference with my child's teacher and was amazed at the insightful comments she had about my child. She was able to give specific examples of when my child excels and when she needs a little extra help. The teacher is aware of our families individual needs and tailors her instruction and curriculum to fit those needs. My husband and I love the sense of community. Starting the day in the auditorium is not only great for my child, but I love being able to say prays prior to work as well. I highly recommend St. Stephen School.

Posted November 22, 2011

St. Stephen is such a special school. Our daughter was in PreK3 last year and is currently in PreK4. We cannot say enough incredible things about the school and how much it means to send our child there. Everyone involved takes such good care of the children and they create such a warm and nurturing, yet challenging environment. Every morning starts off with a warm welcome at the school front door from Mrs. Peck, from the principal. The whole school gathers for the morning prayer and pledge of allegiance. It is such a strong community and we love how our daughter is becoming so independent and so confident. The school maintains the perfect balance between challenging and nurturing. We have seen such significant strides in our child and feel so blessed to have her in such good hands. One cannot even put into words the familial nature at St Stephen's and how much pride our daughter takes in being a part of the community. While the school is able to provide a balanced and structured program, it's also nimble enough to adapt as needed to meet the changing needs of students and the curriculum. What a wonderful and excellent school!!

Posted November 18, 2011

This is our second year at St. Stephen's nursery school. We like that the school is small, has a real sense of community and is reasonably priced. Our Prek3 experience was quite good in terms of the curriculum, teachers and the classroom space. Our daugther learned much in this class. Unfortunately, Prek4 has not been as positive. There are 25 kids in a small classroom with only two teachers on the fourth floor (imagine your pre-schooler climbing those stairs a few times a day). While the teachers are talented and dedicated to their roles, they are clearly stretched managing 25 students (the norm at other schools is 3-4 teachers for this size class). The school day is probably too long for a four year old (8:15-2:45). Addtitionally, each morning school begins in the auditorium with approximately 200 other students (Prek4 through 8th grade). It is chaotic and was a difficult adjustment for many of the young children. I wish I knew these details before I decided to send my little girl to this school.

Posted September 7, 2011

So happy to have our daughter back at this wonderful school for another year. She learned so much in the pre-kindergarten grades that I can't wait to see how far she comes in kindergarten this year. The teachers at St. Stephen are masterful in the way they engage the children in learning. Mrs. Peck, the principal, is adept at leading the school community and producing results that are on par with schools that have greater financial resources.

Posted August 9, 2011

St. Stephen is an amazing school with dedicated teachers and administrators. It is a home away from home for my children. Every day my children are excited to go to school. The teachers tailor the curriculum to each of my children. When my children need to be challenged the teacher gives them extra work, when they struggle, they are supported. I couldn't ask for a better environment. It is warm, nurturing and caring. You feel the warmth the second you enter the building. The students are always singing, laughing, and having fun while learning. The Principal Mrs. Peck is a gem. She is always willing to listen to my concerns and is very dedicated to the school.

Posted February 18, 2011

St.Stephen's feels like home on the Upper East Side. My children have attended for four years and we are so glad we decided to stay past the outstanding pre-school. Class sizes are small and the teachers and administrators and warm and caring.

Posted February 7, 2010

Since Father Sean has taken over the reins at St. Stephen's academic rigor has increased noticeably from last year. I am extremely happy with the caring, devoted teachers and staff at St. Stephen's and the high academic level there. The school also has a no-nonsense policy towards student trouble-makers. Your child's education and safety won't be compromised by badly behaved kids. My daughter feels cared about and happy at this school. It's like a family.

Posted November 29, 2009

We have been at St. Stephen's for 3 years and I could not be happier. It is a very small school, but it is warm and has heart in a way you rarely find anymore. The principal is bright and spiritual and the AP is an excellent communicator. The preschool, in particular, is OUTSTANDING.

Posted November 28, 2009

This year is my three children first year at St Stephens I have a sixth ,fourth and first grader I am so happy I chose St Stephen of Hungary. It is a small school with a strong sense of achievement and Fr Sean and Mrs Peck are great leaders as principal and associate principal.From the first step they enter the school each morning all teachers are there with warm smiles also they have their arms open to teacher and answers all my childrens questions and concerns.I know I have found a jewel in this school.

Posted November 16, 2009

We are so glad we chose St. Stephen of Hungary for our 3 year old. The Prek-3 program is academically challenging without taking the fun out of school for her. We can't believe how much she's learned in just a few months. In addition, the teachers at all grades are wonderful with the little ones, quick to learn their names and welcome them into a new environment.

Posted September 21, 2009

We have been very pleasantly surprised with the school. My kindergartener is learning a great deal in school; his teachers and principals are great. Families in the school are friendly, dedicated and divers

Posted March 8, 2008

The school is affordable for an upper Eastside school. Recently a track team was organized and there is a basketballclinic for the middle grades. The afterschool program has a drama teacher for the primary grades. French is taught in the lower grades. Each year moves the school to a new program. It is a school on the move.

Posted February 18, 2008

St. Stephen of Hungary has been a great place for my two children. They received individualized care and attention that is unparalleled at most pre-school establishments that I have been in contact with. Class size is small and teachers are warm and caring educators, capable of imparting knowledge while maintaining and teaching discipline with a gentle touch. I truly appreciate the experience and the feeling that everyone at school, from the receptionist, through our kids' teachers, all the way to the principal, knows our children and is being involved with proper care for them. We feel that such an individualized approach makes a difference at any age, and especially during the early childhood. We truly appreciate and highly recommend St. Stephen of Hungary.

Posted December 18, 2007

I love my school. It is fun and i still learn. This month we went to an opera and on friday we are having cocoa and cookies. Our concert was awesome, we are number one!
—Submitted by a student

Asian 3% N/A
Asian N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Gardening teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Mrs. Katherine Peck
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• None
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • Library
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Poetry
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom