No rating

St Vincent Ferrer High School

Private | 9-12 | 493 students

Living in New York

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $1,078,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,110.

Posted April 29, 2014

this school has the best science department, if you have DR. Kumar, you'll be great, he is an excellent teacher.

Posted November 13, 2013

I'm a Senior at St. Vincent Ferrer, and i absolutley love it. This school is made for girls who want to succeed in life, not just succeeding in memorizing notes to pass a class. The work is challenging and in no way an "easy A". Homework, as mentioned in a previous comment, can sometimes be demanding, but it's not overwhelming. Another great thing concerning homework and study, is that classes are set up so that there is a rotating schedule of assigned testing days each subject has. i've never had more than two tests in a day, nor has any girl here at Ferrer. I've taken both Honors and AP classes, and i must say i've never felt like school work was the only thing on my mind 24/7, I mean, there are 5 sports teams and 27 clubs, something's always hopping at Ferrer!

Posted October 20, 2013

Saint Vincent Ferrer is an incredible school. Teachers are amazing-the science program has to be one of the best in the city! The Pricipal is a leader who creates a community that includes everyone. Bullying is not tolerated and respect for others is always mention by the school administration. School is safe as could be and is in a gorgeous area of Manhattan. I was impressed with the school getting involved with a sister school in Africa. The school building is spacious, with a new gym, smart boards, computers, and always being maintained and improved. Each year the girls go on trips all over the world and my daughter has come back with a much broader perspective! My daughter is a happy kid whose friends actually say hello when they see me. If you want your child to be in a friendly, SAFE school that cares about others and teaches the girls that success is through education-Saint VIncent Ferrer is the place.

Posted June 13, 2013

This school is amazing! I am attending Saint Vincent Ferrer and I love it. There are so many clubs, sports, and activities. The teachers are very nice. Your daughter would be very happy at SVF

Posted June 12, 2013

This school is very excellent in the academic level. I am a student who is attending St. Vincent Ferrer and I have to say it is quite amazing how the students interact with each other. It has a very nice atmosphere. I truly believe if you are thinking of putting your daughter in a very good academic private high school choose SVF.

Posted October 5, 2012

I've heard numerous comments about this school, and 99% of has been more than pleasing. One thing I'm worried about is if there is a lot of homework for the student? Too much homework isn't healthy at all!

Posted November 30, 2011

St Vincent Ferrer is one of the most outstanding schools in NYC--and probably the best school for girls. The faculty credentials are superb, the students are happy, the parents are involved, and the school building is large, clean, absolutely up to date and has the latest in technology. The size (just under 500) makes for a warm, inviting community sense. The girls gave over 20,000 in volunteer hours to the community last year alone. Once you visit, you realize that all that I've written is true! Each year Ferrer becomes more well known in New York. Their tuition is almost reasonable, and you get back twice what you pay. If you're a smart girl, the Scholars Program will give you a great challenge and you'll get into some of the best schools in the country. It's the best kept secret in New York--but more than 1400 people attended Open House in October
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 26, 2011

The teachers with their various personalities and teaching methods provide engaging classes. I'm enjoying each of my classes and thriving due to the patience and support from both my friends and teachers. While visiting other high schools I found that some of them were too dark and dreary which left the impression of a sort of prison. The building itself is spacious and has large windows that lets in lots of light into the classrooms and hallways. The school has a bright and friendly atmosphere that I'm glad to be in each time I make my way to class. A few examples of the numerous clubs include the debate team, volleyball team, school newspaper, global concerns, pilates, french club, and track. -One of the reviews mentions students breaking lockers to steal coats and there being a high presence of drugs. If other students are going into another student's locker then it's only because their friend gave them their combination to borrow textbooks or notes. I haven't heard of any incident in which students are breaking into lockers to steal other people's coats. Each high school has a few troubled teens but St. Vincent is definitely not a school that has a high presence of drugs.

Posted July 23, 2009

I'm a student at Ferrer and I've loved every minute of my time here! SVF's the kind of school that's got the whole package: teachers who are actually interested in what they're teaching, girls who come from all walks of life, and an environment that encourages learning. It's the kind of school where nobody goes home as soon as the bell rings: they stay after to participate in clubs or work on group projects (in fact, a lot of the time, the teachers have to chase us down and tell us to go home in the evenings!) Definitely worth a visit -- you won't regret it.

Posted May 15, 2009

My daughter is in her second year and I could not be more proud of the way she has grown scholastically, culturally and maturity. This was a new experience for both of us. The learning atmosphere is so different than at the public school she use to attend and the staff is superb in their ability to talk with the girls and encourage them in all aspects of their education and personal growth. This school has made a difference and created opportunities for the future education of my daughter that otherwise would not be possible.

Posted March 10, 2009

I cannot be happier with St. Vincent Ferrer. It starts with a great principal - and Sr. Gail is the BEST - and the teachers are wonderful. They are not just great teachers, but they really care about the girls and ensuring that Ferrer is a great place to be everyday. What a wonderful preparation for college - Anna

Posted February 28, 2009

I am a current Freshman at Ferrer and I love it. If your daughter is sent here she won't regret it !! The teachers, students and location are amazing! What an opportunity it is!

Posted February 4, 2009

My daughter is currently in 10th grade and is enjoying her time immensely at Ferrer. The school has everything you need...excellent academics (the Chemistry honors teacher is absolutely fantastic!) sports, lots of clubs, diverse student body, volunteer opportunities and most importantly girls that are nice and respectful to eachother. The school is located in a safe and fun area of Manhattan, lots of stores and shops nearby. My daughter has made so many genuine friends. My advice would be to ask your daughter to get involved in what Ferrer offers and not just go home when the school bell rings at the end of the day. I have only good things to say about this school.

Posted December 12, 2008

I learned more at SVF than I did in college. The education I received at Ferrer not only prepared me for life, but also made me an independent woman who can think for myself. The reputation of a rigorous Ferrer education precedes itself. I'm very lucky to have walked its halls. Submitted by a former student

Posted July 28, 2008

After what I'd heard about high school, I was worried and sure that there would be pressures, lots of drama, and more work than I could handle. This turned out to be not the case at all: the substance use is nonexistent, the teachers are competent, supportive and involved, and the coursework -- while rigorous -- is manageable. Ferrer challenges its students to think for themselves. For the most part, the girls are motivated, conscientious, and mature. I couldn't ask for anything more in a school.

Posted May 2, 2008

Great school as far as teachers and academics are concerned, but some thing needs to be done about the numerous thefts at the school. My daughter has told me that there are locker breakins where girls have gotten their coats stolen. Also, there is a high presence of drugs in the school.

Posted September 2, 2005

Its a great school with a great faculty
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 12, 2005

Absolutely Fantastic. Great Science department. Best for AP sciences and arts.

Posted June 28, 2004

Great school. The perfect size to let your child grow yet have individual attention.
—Submitted by a former student

Asian 8% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Gail Morgan
  • All girls
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New York

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

151 East 65th Street