No rating

Transfiguration School

Private | K-8

Living in New York

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $2,018,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,490.

Posted May 12, 2010

As a former student, I would like to say that Transfiguration is a great school. Some of the teachers are strict but some are nice. But however, sometimes they give you alot of homework and not be able to finish it till around 11. But the classes and other students there older and younger are friendly and the special classes like gym, art, computer, music, etc. are fun! The school has great academics and is very educated. Once you go there and if you had to leave or move you already know most of the stuff that they learn in the other school. Its a piece of cake once you go to the other school once you start of at transfiguration. I know this because i had experience this matter of issue. So on my recomendation i believe Transfiguration is the right school for you if u are looking for education,academics,fun!

Posted January 6, 2010

The school has had an excellent track record of instituting traditional and work intensive curriculae, but it is at risk of losing its core competence due to the pastor's expansion plans. The school has overadmitted students and cannot house them in the school building, and the current chaos is causing problems and a lack of focus on academics.

Posted January 3, 2010

The school is an excellent school. It's going through some changes now which I trust is for the best. It's being held back by the archdiocese which doesn't support them financially nor morally; yet they are ripping the benefit of the school's excellent academic results. they should come on board and help the school realize its full potentials. It's doing an amazing job with the little that it has.

Posted September 29, 2009

The Pre-K is wonderful. Orderly, loving, encouraging, friendly and colorful. It is too bad many local parents don't know about it. It is .5 miles from Tribeca, and doen't draw enough of those children. This preschool is not a more typical 'playgroup preschool'. They are preparing the kids for school, which includes socialization as well as more skill based functions. We are thrilled with the school and teachers. And we like that the children learn to pray and respect the flag.

Posted June 14, 2009

As a graduate of trans, I believe that the teachers are willing to help their students do the best they can. The teachers are experiences and are great to everyone. I've been to 3 schools, and this was truly the best school I've ever went to.

Posted May 22, 2009

I have to be honest. I have no respect for the administration of this school. Isn't the principal a bit overqualified with a PhD? Why is he in the Catholic school system if, as another parent points out, Catholicism isn't even emphasized here? There's just no leadership in my opinion. Nothing special about this school. A real disappointment.

Posted November 30, 2008

My nephew transfered after only having attended this school for a few years, but he has been accepted to Grace Episcopal. He said teachers there didn't seem like they wanted to be there. I guess many of the teachers there were, and still are, using Transfigaration as a training ground; a place they can hone there teaching skills for a teaching spot in a outer-borough or upstate school. Personally, it is a shame that Catholicism isn't emphasized. It is a Catholic school! Parents should keep that in mind when considering sending their child to this school. I went to an OK Catholic school but I came away with an appreciation of the Catholic faith, and it's something very special to me. Believe me, there will be more instances throughout your lifetime that you'll need to call upon your faith than just about any other skill/subject u were ever taught.

Posted October 19, 2008

I am a recent graduate from Transfiguration. I didn't like Transfiguration because I would feel that we us paid a lot for the tutition only to have days off. I realize that I really do love Trans. It is a school where the students feel safe and close to everyone. The students are able to express themselves and create the best of friends. It is a school where you can be familiar with every student and teacher in the school. The extra-activities such as the Christmas dance and Halloween Parade are fun and exciting. It was a school that I willing woke up and got dressed to go to. I treasure the memories I have at Trans. But sometimes it has it's flaws. Most of the teachers are inexperienced and the principal is unreasonable. The circulum is not very good and at times not good becaause of the outdated textbooks.

Posted August 14, 2008

I think the public schools in this neighborhood are better than this school. The parents at this school have their kids in after-school programs for a reason (the education here is weak). I am transferring my kid - the NY public system is just as safe and the education more thorough. I see no leadership here. I do not see good teaching either.

Posted May 30, 2008

As a current student in the graduating class, i feel that Transfiguration is great. It is fun yet educational. But, the textbooks and other resources that we use are outdated and no longer compare to today's. The teachers are okay but may be extremely strict sometimes. In general, the school is somewhat boring and fun. I just hope they can fix their flaws.

Posted April 17, 2008

I am disappointed with this school. And the reviews I have read from students who went here confirm what i ahve been feeling. This used to be a great school with high morale among faculty and students. There has to be a reason the teachers leave so fast. Is the answer to be found in the administration of this school? Who will take the blame for this?

Posted April 14, 2008

As a recent graduate of Transfiguration, I have come to realize the lack of creativity and liberal thinking which society today is embracing. Although Transfiguration does provide great academics, there is no encouragement to express the thinking that I was faced with when entering high school. Rather than relying on rote memory, I had barely any experience connecting the themes in texts. I understand that Transfiguration is a Catholic school which emphasizes on education. However, with today's society being what it is, I believe that the curriculum being offered is no longer meeting the liberal standards of society.

Posted March 13, 2008

As an outside observer I would agree with what this last student said. There is a difference between 'discipline' and 'punishment.' I am not sure the teachers or the administration knows the difference. If a teacher can handle his/her class and give his/her students good activities learning should be fun. Why then the punishments? Also, there is no doubt, as someone else pointed out, teachers leave this school, generally, quickly.

Posted September 22, 2007

The first point is: Transfiguration is a splendid school. A while ago, it would be agreeable that the school was a bit unsteady, with its ever-changing teachers and principals. Now, however, there are steady jobs, and various opportunities for each student. Enrichment programs such as music, art, theater arts, computers, and gym take place during school hours, and after school, plenty of classes are offered such as piano, violin, chess, art, dance, and even chinese school! The 'time wasting punishments' are there to teach a lesson, for if the sudent can waste the teacher's time, why cant the teacher waste the students'? Moreover, the school hosts sports such as basketball, volleyball, and track during weekends with minimum costs to the children. In fact, the hosts and coaches are volunteers and graduates from the school! The Parent Teacher Association members have even pitched-in for new 'smart boards' for the younger grades!

Posted June 10, 2007

The common denominator among what I have read is that there is not good 'teacher retention' at this school and that 7th and 8th graders have to work outside of the school to prepare for a 'specialized' school. As a parent of a 7th grader (there seem to be a few of us out here!) I agree. I want to talk about homework, punishment and the curriculum if I may. Sometimes my kid gets 2 hours of homework a night, sometimes nothing. The homework assignments all come straight from the book. Like 'make-work.' Sometimes my kid gets weird, time-wasting punishments. I may transfer my child, and I also have a private tutor.

Posted May 24, 2007

I am a current 8th grader who will be graduating this year. I've attended this school for almost 8years. I believe the best thing about this school is strict discipline and good manners taught by the 1st and 2 nd grade teachers. However, I do agree that only the 1st, 2nd, 7th, and 8th grade teachers are the most experienced. From what I see, however, I do not agree this school has bad classroom management and disrespect. The greatest change to this school is the number of incoming students from public schools. I only encourage parents to put their children in this school starting from and grade 1 to grade 5. Although the 7th and 8th grade teachers are experienced and great, they do not encourage or teach curriculums that will be on the Specialized HS exam. On the other hand, they are trying to advance more on extracurricular activities.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 9, 2007

This school is not as good as the people who have ranked it claim. I think they are wrong. There are too many students in my kid's 7th grade class. The homework they get is not creative. The teachers seem apathetic. Almost every parent has a private tutor for his/her kid. We just don't want our kids in the public system and Transfiguration was the only alternative.

Posted January 27, 2007

As stated, the first, seventh and eighth grade teachers are the ones with the most experience. I, a graduate of the class of '06, enjoyed my eight years at the school. Currently, I attend St.Francis Preparatory. Though the school has many good qualities, there are a few things I'd like to pick at. Since the school is located in the heart of Chinatown, 99.9% of it's enrollment are of Asian ethnicity (mainly Chinese). Another drawback is the fact that teachers have (currently) been teaching one year and then leaving. In my opinion, it is not fair to the students. Their academic standards are above expected levels. They challenge their students to the best of their ability and since the enrollment is small, the teacher will be teaching classes, at the most, 35 students. They had recently expanded their arts and music departments. Julia Leung
—Submitted by a former student

Posted November 8, 2006

As a current 7th grader at Transfiguration, I should say this is a 'okay' school. Yes, teachers stay her one year and leave. But this is a safe school. I would say the 1st, 7th, 8th grade teachers have the most experience.

Posted January 30, 2006

As a current student at Transfiguration School, I am proud to say that have been learning from the best. My teachers have always been supportive of my education and give the best to us. The teachers are great listeners and never make any day boring!

Asian 96% N/A
Two or more races 1% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Patrick Taharally
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Gym
  • Internet access
  • Music room
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New York

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer time after school
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

29 Mott Street