Transfiguration School

Private | K-8 | 375 students

Living in New York

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $2,018,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,490.

Sweep tile

Posted February 22, 2014

This school provides a well rounded program and my child gets the necessary support from teachers and staff to develop. In addition to academics, my child has opportunities to grow in music, public speaking, and art. The school is able to give professional evaluation of my child's unique development. My child started as a selective mute at this school in early childhood level and then gradually received support to speak up and excel. In seven years at this school, my child found many public speaking opportunities: reading scripture at school mass, giving presentation in class, giving small talk to share reading experience with younger students at summer school, and competing at speech bee. It is a great school not just for those destined to go to specialized high school, but also for those who are motivated and those who believe they can find their strength with discipline.

Posted February 6, 2014

The school is very strict about education. Their good academic results are due to all the additional courses their students take on weekends. Students are learning in a robotic way, there is very little room for thinking creatively. Children just need to be obedient otherwise they will try to push you out. The administration has low ethics and the principal shows poor leadership and is seen as god by parents.

Posted September 24, 2013

Former student, transferred to public school. The principal and teachers are strict but still not that hard on you. Great school as always.

Posted June 5, 2013

I am a former student who transferred to Transfiguration from public school. The atmosphere was completely different to what I was fimiliar with, therefore I stuggled to adjust. The system is extremely strict and will not tolerate anything but perfection. However this is not the reason for the high test scores and grades. Every student goes to tutoring on the weekend and in the summer. They have an amazing sports program know as TJBA. It is a free volunteer based program run by the gym teacher Mr.Maher which takes place every sunday. It coaches all 3 popular sports, track volleyball and basketball throughout the year. Besides Mr.Maher other coaches include alumni from Transfiguration and the other participating school St.James. It's sad to say that most of the students who use the program are Transfiguration students however almost none of them come back to coach. The program is suffering due to th lack Transfiguration students who come back to volunteer. Overall the school has a great students, okay teachers and an extremely strict atmosphere.

Posted April 26, 2013

Former student, currently studying at a graduate program at Columbia University. I graduated in 2004. I'll break it down into several parts: Academics: Definitely superior. Of course, compared to the general public schooling system in NYC, that's not saying too much. But regardless, this school is certainly above average and gave me a head start in high school. Religion: I'm personally agnostic and I appreciate the fact that this school did not shove religion down our throats. Rather, they taught religion AND science, and allowed us to come up with our own views. Compared to religious schools in other parts of the country, this is something that I truly appreciate. (Just take a look at current events, you'll see the controversial creationism-only schools). Discipline: Relatively speaking, the punishments (500-word essays) were somewhat overbearing. However, reflecting on my own life and on those of my peers, who I still keep in touch with, we are all very considerate and well-mannered individuals. And no, they don't hit you here. However, I still distinctly recall several instances where the afterschool teachers were disrespectful to students., hence the 4-star rating.

Posted March 24, 2013

I think the administration is flooding this site with positive reviews. It's a basic fact that the "Tiger Moms" and private tutors have led to the continual success of students at this school. The students (I am an ex-student with a sister currently enrolled) thought the "Blue Ribbon" award was a joke. It just seems that Catholic school teachers are not as good as public school teachers and I would say this is the case at this school. As you can see from other reviews, there are problems here and Great Schools should not censor the truth and promote propaganda.

Posted December 27, 2012

Transfiguration is a wonderful school, real treasure. The principal, teachers and staff are very organized, helpful and resourceful. At the age of 4, my child was reading, writing and doing simple addition, subtraction, sequencing, patterns and even analogies. My child has learned a great deal since being a part of this great school.

Posted December 26, 2012

As a former student and IVY League grad, I can confidently look back on my Transfiguration experience with great pride. The values of hard work and discipline provided the solid foundation that was necessary for high school and beyond. I credit my 1st Grade teacher who instilled in me a love for academics. My 2 kids are now attending Trans and I find that the same curriculum and attention to detail are still present. Those parents who criticize the school's teaching methods should look at the reasons why the US is falling severly behind the rest of the world in terms of mathematics and science. The bottom line is that there are no shortcuts to success. A good solid core is required and the teahcers at staff Transfiguration are dutiful in providing their students with this very thing.

Posted September 23, 2012

As a parent of a child who started at Transfiguration this year, I am pleased with the school program and the progress made by my child. The environment is academic and the principal, teachers and staff are very collaborative and supportive. I am amazed at the program and the friendly school environment. My child has learned to write and do various activities in the classroom. All the children's artwork are showcased in the corridor for parents to see. There are themes for each month and a school trip to reinforce the learning. Homework provides structure and content, and I appreciate the progress made by my child every day! The parents are very involved in the activities and volunteer for the events. Overall, it is an excellent school, and deserves the recent Blue Ribbon recognition by the Department of Education in Washington, D.C. for its academic excellence and high performing students. It is a gem of a school that is known by the community and the long waitlist to get in speaks for itself. We are so grateful that my child has been given the opportunity to learn here!!

Posted March 7, 2012

I have two children in the Pre-K program at the Kindergarten location at Confucius Plaza. We are now 6 months into the school year and I feel I can speak from a place of knowledge and experience regarding this school. Academically, this school excels beyond expectation. Both my children are writing, reading, and building an extensive vocabulary base as well as sequence skills. They are digging into math in the form of digits, ordering and sequential methods. Additionally they are keenly in tune to, social, spacial and inner awareness (due to yoga, dance, drumming, and the emphasis on kindness, etc). I am extremely impressed with the teacher/child ratio, the appreciation for elders (in terms of grandparents), the amount of field trips and environmental exploratory work that happens in a 8.5 hr day. We are looking forward to Kindergarten at the Mott Street Lower School location. I will update my review of that location once we've acclimated ... to be continued....

Posted February 26, 2012

My daughter had been in Trans since Pre-K3 (our 6th years now). I cannot say I agreed with every decision made by the school but overall we are happy. I had asked my daughter if she wants to go to public school within our school district to avoid the commute, and she said no, she likes the school. The homework load is a lot more compare to public school. I dont think some of the 1 star review is fair, but that's my personal opinion.

Posted October 26, 2011

My child attends the school now but will not be returning next year. They utilize the old school method of teaching that includes punishment and demerits for not following their rules perfectly. If your child is not perfect, do not send your child here. They will inevitably suffer from psychological damage. There are plenty of good public schools out there that will nurture your child as oppose to demoralize them. There are kids who bully and continue to stay in the school because they want their tuition money. The school has declined over the years and will continue to do so as they expand. They will need to increase enrollment to collect tuition money and less likely to turn away the "bad" kids.

Posted June 12, 2011

I wasn't going to say anything, just wanted to see reviews, but my child wants to leave this school as well. Sure someone went there in 1969, the school is different now. I do not want to say anything bad about the leadership of the school, but I would have to agree with what others have said. There's a right way to educate youth. I do not think the school is supportive enough and does not seem to know modern educational methods of positive reinforcement. In my opinion it is a shame the Archdiocese doesn't listen to what parents are saying.

Posted February 26, 2011

I think the principals in TKS try hard to provide the best education for their students. We do not know how much stress they have. If parents think that their kids only learn from school is having bad temper and being no patient. Why don't you teach your child to have a better temper and learn to have more patient? As a parent, we are the best teachers for our children. We cannot only expect the school and the teachers do everything for our kids. We also have our responsibities to educate our children. If some parents think that the school doesn't provide enough for their children, why don't you spend more time with your children so they can learn better? As a parent, I like this school. I also believe that this school can provide the education our children need if parents really work together with the principals and the teachers.

Posted February 22, 2011

The Principal in TKS Lower School and Upper School have no leadership. Even the teacher don't respect the Principal. Most of the time, the teacher made decisions, not the Principal. If you are lucky, your child will get a good teacher. If you are not lucky, you will get a very very bad teacher. My child is attending this school since Pk3. Now my child is K. For Pk3 and Pk4 classes, my child have a very nice teacher. My child learned a lot of stuff from it. However, now my child is in one of the two K class. my child did not learn much from it. The most thing my child learned is BAD TEMPER, AND NO PATIENT. My child must be learned from the teacher not the peers because most of the parent sees that the teacher is like that.

Posted September 11, 2010

I have attended Transfiguration for quite a few years now. Eversince pre-k now I am in the "Upper School" part of Trans. I think this school is pretty good compare to the other schools since they won't let you slack off otherwise you are in a huge amount of trouble. All teachers are strict when they need to be but is also really really nice and fun/ funny. Trans gives a lot of homework (depending on what grade you are in) but it really helps you learn what you learned in school so you wont forget. The teachers are very helpful but just dont get yourself into trouble otherwise there are SERIOUS consequeses. Trans is expanding now and has taken over St. James building which causes some problems for the "Upper School" (includes grades 5-8)and it isn't the best. The classrooms are bigger but needs renovation

Posted September 5, 2010

As a parent who had my kid start from pre-k 3 to now (my kid will be in 2nd grade), I feel this school has taught my kid a lot. He was able to read in Kdg, and able to do simple addition and subtraction. I don't think I can say the same for other kids of that age. I also want to say that the teachers are great. They work very hard to plan the lessons and get the kids involved. The ESL teacher (who also happens to be Chinese) my kid had was wonderful. She helped my kid to learn how to read and sound out words. She gives them book report sheets, and makes sure they are done. She rewards them with prizes to encourage them and gives them plenty of books to read.

Posted May 25, 2010

If most of the students in the school are going to tutoring, there is a problem how the school is run and not with the students and their parent.

Posted May 12, 2010

As a former student, I would like to say that Transfiguration is a great school. Some of the teachers are strict but some are nice. But however, sometimes they give you alot of homework and not be able to finish it till around 11. But the classes and other students there older and younger are friendly and the special classes like gym, art, computer, music, etc. are fun! The school has great academics and is very educated. Once you go there and if you had to leave or move you already know most of the stuff that they learn in the other school. Its a piece of cake once you go to the other school once you start of at transfiguration. I know this because i had experience this matter of issue. So on my recomendation i believe Transfiguration is the right school for you if u are looking for education,academics,fun!
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 6, 2010

The school has had an excellent track record of instituting traditional and work intensive curriculae, but it is at risk of losing its core competence due to the pastor's expansion plans. The school has overadmitted students and cannot house them in the school building, and the current chaos is causing problems and a lack of focus on academics.

Asian 96% N/A
Two or more races 1% N/A
Asian N/A 6%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Patrick Taharally
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Gym
  • Internet access
  • Music room
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New York

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer time after school
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

29 Mott St